Eberron: A crest for the nation of Droaam

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
In my Eberron campaign, my players are well on their way of giving The Sisters of Sora Kell the leverage they need to get Droaam to be recognized as its own sovereign nation. Whether they succeed or not, that's entirely up to them. But I was thinking about what kind of crest or heraldic design would fit Droaam, but I can't come up with something that both encompasses their monstruous nature, but also their wish to show the world they're not just mere monsters.

If there's a crest in the original 3.5 books, I'll gladly be pointed towards it. Everything's appreciated for inspiration. Hopefully you guys can help me out a bit.

Also, if any of my players read this, don't hesitate to participate. It's your world too, though I know you guys love the element of surprise as well ;) 
Heroic Dungeon Master

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is a humanoid (i.e., clawed or taloned) hand, either in a fist or perhaps clutching a sword...  If that's a bit too warlike, perhaps clutching a scroll, as that would be a sign of knowledge/power/civilization/etc....

Alternately, in addition to taking some inspiration from the crests of the various Dragonmarked houses (which all feature creatures such as cockatrices or basilisks, etc) you also might do some research into real-world heraldry, which does have a fair number of precedents for crests that might work for a humanoid nation.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

To take a cue from the Daughters of Sora Kell (and borrow a little something from Pan's Labyrinth), you could make it a slightly closed fist, with a female mouth on the palm, containing an eye inside the mouth (possibly on the tongue). That way you get references to both Maenya, Katra and Teraza.
Holy crap, that's super creepy!
I bet some of the photoshop wizards over at the "What Does My Character Look Like" thread could make that.

I wonder if that works well for Droaam though.  Actually, have that sigil on a warworn shield, a Stone shield, with a blood-red border with perhaps some fire in the background and horns on the shield?
I'd also want to represent Gorodan the Ashlord, Rhesh Turakbar the minotaur and Sheska the Queen of Stone.  Those are what I'd consider the main warlords, but you can't count out the Kobold Warlord-Kethelrax the Cunnining, Mordain the Fleshweaver, Drul Kantar the Oni, and the Changelings of Lost.
If we have to incorporate every warlord, we might as well make a list to make the symbolism clearer:

Daughters of Sora Katra: Fist, mouth and eye.
Gorodan the Ashlord: Fire behind/around the shield.
Rhesh Turakbar: Horns on the sides of the shield.
Sheshka: The shield is made from petrified wood.

The minor warlords might be tougher to incorporate, especially since some of them are relatively new, so they might not have become part of the heraldry yet (and because of the way The Queen of Stone by Keith Baker ends). Off the top of my head, though, there could be tentacles extending from behind the shield (Mordain).
Luckily (or unluckily) I haven't read any of the Eberron-themed books yet, so I'm not familiar by the extra fluffy knowledge.

But using symbols to represent the Three Sisters is definitely a good idea! So thanks I might even go for the entire symbol, though I thought of incorporating the Great Crag somehow as well. Perhaps as a mountain silhouette encapsualating the symbols of the Daughters. 

I'll start doodling some stuff tomorrow. Having a crest for Drul Kantar is also nice, since he is actively involved with the heroes. 
Heroic Dungeon Master
I highly suggest that you read Keith Baker's "The Queen of Stone"  Or not.
It's all about a Brelish agent going to Droaam as part of the Daughter's summit to be officially recognized as a sovereign Nation.  
Drul Kantar plays a significant role in that book.
You could get a fair amount of additional info from it, or it could conflict with what you had in mind.  Best part is, you can always ignore it and go with something else entirely, since nothing is truly canon for your home game.
I'll just place it under the pile of books that's waiting to be read :P Really want to read the books, but just haven't had the opportunity for it yet. 
Heroic Dungeon Master