Skill mastery vs Knack

After last nights game, I can honestly say I'm done dealing with Skill Mastery. The rogue's main ability seems to be to win at everything, forever. Yes, limited to his ten skills, but he breezes through checks every single time. Everyone else in the group agreed that SM is OP, too. I greatly prefered 'Knack', simply because of the limited uses per day. It was more flexible too, which was a bonus. If each class is to get an instrinsic non-maneuver ability (fighter getting Parry in this fasion) then I suggest bringing back Knack for the rogue. SM has got to go.

On a related note, feats and abilities that grant a 10 on any roll below a 10 is a bit too strong. 5 might be a better number to go with - it prevents horrible misrolls and botches without making the check pointless due to inevitable success. 
Epic fantasy action adventure! - free ebook
I actually have liked the <10 = 10 feats and abilities. It allows me, as a DM, to know there are a few things certain characters will never be bad at. This helps me know where to challenge my players vs. when to let them shine by breezing through certain problems. It gives a feeling of power, and I like them to have that. It makes it more fair when I throw crazy things at them.

But, to your point about Skill Mastery... this incarnation isn't the solution.

@mikemearls I don't like that the Thief in our group always succeeds on DC20 to 25 skill checks. Please fix this.

@MockingBirdDan A lot of playtesters agree, so that's going to change.

Now... whether or not the fix works is up to us as playtesters to let WoTC know. 
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
Please dont let the next fix be exactly like this fix. A horrible mechanic that makes the rogue always succeed was changed to a horrible mechanic thqt always makes the rogue succeed.
I think the second mechanic was far worse. The first one made it impossible for the rogue to fail on easy to medium tasks. The second one made it nearly impossible for the rogue to fail at difficult tasks, esp. after a few levels.

It was a cobra effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect

That said, WoTC probably has a bunch of mechanics ideas. They'll probably just keep putting different ones in front of us until they find 2-3 that work. I'd guess synthesis or modularize after that point.

Either way, they've got some time to make some cobras before needing to make anything recognized as "good" by the majority of players.
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
Sign In to post comments