power attack

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
When someone power attacks does it look differn't than a normal attack? I was thinking they might "wind up" before attacking like on a cartoon
Entirely up to the individual using it.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
When someone power attacks does it look differn't than a normal attack? I was thinking they might "wind up" before attacking like on a cartoon

That's pure fluff. So, fluff away. Entirely up to the player.
Tongue sticking out like Groo the Wanderer (or Jordan).

My personal houserule: Anyone who insists their charcter does a "Street Fighter/Dragonball Z"-esque wind-up for a power strike or critical hit gets a book thrown at their head.

Narratively speaking, a power strike would probably look like the character took a much harder swing, or set themself before lunging forward, something like that... Whatever fully committing to that particular attack looks like.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

When someone power attacks does it look differn't than a normal attack?

You are sacrificing accuracy for more damage, so I'd think it weird if it doesn't look a bit different.

Actually, if you mean Power Strike - the fighter power, not the general feat Power Attack - that mechanic almost lends itself to a particularly violent flourish after connecting with a normal attack. Like, say, after chopping into an enemy with a sword, pulling the sword back so it slices a bit on the way out. Or when clubbing an enemy on the top of the head with a hammer or club, as the head comes down you make the ordeal a bit worse by stomp-kicking it in the face. A shortspear or rapier could be twisted before being yanked out, or you instead punch the enemy off of it.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
I wouldn't throw any books at their head, but I might say a character flailing around like a cartoon would provoke attacks of opportunity.

Sometimes I think Power Attack should come with an equivalent AC penalty for the attacker.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Nah, it just happens in slow motion, like any good power attack.
IMO, if you're not Sucking In Lines, emitting a Battle Aura, and/or Calling Your Attack, you're probably doing it wrong.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Sign In to post comments