Ok, we need some help resolving a complex stack situation:Player 1 has a Pestilence and 4 swamps;Player 2 has a Myr Quadropod equipped with a Surestrike Trident

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, we need some help resolving a complex stack situation:

Player 1 has a Pestilence and 4 swamps;
Player 2 has a Myr Quadropod equipped with a Surestrike Trident and a Slagwurm Armor
Player two wants to switch the power and toughness and then surestrike, player one wants to use pestilence to prevent this. The stack is getting really big and we aren't sure what happens.
Thanks a bunch.
Ok, we need some help resolving a complex stack situation:

Player 1 has a Pestilence and 4 swamps;
Player 2 has a Myr Quadropod equipped with a Surestrike Trident

Player two wants to switch the power and toughness and then surestrike, player one wants to use pestilence to prevent this. The stack is getting really big and we aren't sure what happens.
Thanks a bunch.

I don't understand the question.  Can you clarify?

here is how the stack looks like
--top--
Pestilence
Myr Quadropod
--bottom--

assuming no responses Pestilence deals 1 damage to each creature and when the P/T switching resolves the Myr Quadropod is destroyed

Player2 can "prevent" this if he first uses Surestrike Trident's ability and THEN switches P/T in response to that
that way the Myr will still die, but the Trident will use LKI and see the Power of the Myr as 4
proud member of the 2011 community team
The Trident player wins if they have 6 mana. What they can do is this:
Activate Quadropod. If that resolves, activate trident. If they respond to the quadropod activation with a pestilence activation, the quadropod player activates trident, then responds my activating quadropod. Either way, when the trident ability resolves, the last time the Quadropod was on the battlefield, it had 4 power.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

But can't player one keep adding pestilence pings to the stack which will resolve in between any abilities that player 2 uses?
it doesn't matter, as long as the P/T switch resolves before the Sunstrike Trident

that way the Myr will die as a 10/1 (didn't see the armor before, so my previous post assumed 4/1) and Trident will use that information

he'd need 10 to deal 10 damage to make it die as a 1/10, but he only has 4 Swamps
Also if there is 1 point of damage on Quadropod and it's power and toughness are switched the x/1 does it die as a state-based effect?
So, player 1 acts first, he activates his Myr Quadropod, placing the ability on the stack. In response, player 1 activates his Pestilence, it goes on top of the power/toughness switch. This basically already neuters the intended play unless player 2 can activate his Quadropod again. Because the 1 point of damage from the Pestilence will kill the Quadropod as soon as the switch resolves, before player 2 can activate the other ability from the Trident. All he can do at this point is to activate the Trident before the switch occurs and deal 1 point of damage.

The smartest play for player 2 would be to activate the Trident ability first and immediately respond to it with the power/toughness switch. This way, no matter how many damage the Pestilence deals to the Quadropod, it will deal 10 damage (even if its already dead by the time it does).
Also if there is 1 point of damage on Quadropod and it's power and toughness are switched the x/1 does it die as a state-based effect?

Yes.

yes, it will be destroyed as a SBA after Pestilence resolves and before any player gets priority
This way, no matter how many damage the Pestilence deals to the Quadropod, it will deal 4 damage (even if its already dead by the time it does).

it does matter if he has enough mana to destroy it before the P/T switch resolves
but that's not the case here.

The smartest play for player 2 would be to activate the Trident ability first and immediately respond to it with the power/toughness switch. This way, no matter how many damage the Pestilence deals to the Quadropod, it will deal 4 damage (even if its already dead by the time it does).

How does the switich happen if the Pestilence player activates pestilence in response to the switch?

because the Pestilence is not enough to kill it pre-switch
But can't player one keep adding pestilence pings to the stack which will resolve in between any abilities that player 2 uses?

The process I described works. Here's what it is in detail:
Activate Quadropod. The opponent can respond with pestilence or decline to respond with pestilence.
Respond:
          Activate Trident, respond by activating quadropod again. The opponent can only activate pestilence 3 more times, so the quadropod will flip before dying. Thus, when the trident ability resolves, the game uses Last Known Information to determine the quadropod's power, which is 4, so the trident will deal 4 damage.
Don't respond:
          Activate trident. Whether or not the opponent uses pestilence, the quadropod's power when it was last on the battlefield was 4, so 4 damage is dealt.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

So, player 1 acts first, he activates his Myr Quadropod, placing the ability on the stack. In response, player 1 activates his Pestilence, it goes on top of the power/toughness switch. This basically already neuters the intended play unless player 2 can activate his Quadropod again. Because the 1 point of damage from the Pestilence will kill the Quadropod as soon as the switch resolves, before player 2 can activate the other ability from the Trident. All he can do at this point is to activate the Trident before the switch occurs and deal 1 point of damage.

The smartest play for player 2 would be to activate the Trident ability first and immediately respond to it with the power/toughness switch. This way, no matter how many damage the Pestilence deals to the Quadropod, it will deal 8 damage (even if its already dead by the time it does).

But how can the player "immediately respond to his own action" doesn't priority pass to the other play after every action, meaning the pestilence player can interject pestilence pings between every action the quad player takes?

The smartest play for player 2 would be to activate the Trident ability first and immediately respond to it with the power/toughness switch. This way, no matter how many damage the Pestilence deals to the Quadropod, it will deal 8 damage (even if its already dead by the time it does).

But how can the player "immediately respond to his own action" doesn't priority pass to the other play after every action, meaning the pestilence player can interject pestilence pings between every action the quad player takes?

That doesn't matter.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

after any player casts a spell or activates an ability that player gets priority again
there is a shortcut assumed of passing that priority, so you must speak up that you want to do something in response to your own ability
What is to stop Quad player from just activating trident and then activating the switch and dealing the damage regardless? Why are people saying he needs to switch it twice.
What is to stop Quad player from just activating trident and then activating the switch and dealing the damage regardless? Why are people saying he needs to switch it twice.

that works
the "switch twice" is because he started wrong in your scenario, by switching first before activating the trident. the second switch is to fix this tactical error

that works
the "switch twice" is because he started wrong in your scenario, by switching first before activating the trident. the second switch is to fix this tactical error

If the trident player only has 3 mana available, then the pestilence player can simply activate 4 times in response to the flip. The quadropod will die, and it will have had 1 power when it did.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

that works

If the trident player only has 3 mana available, then the pestilence player can simply activate 4 times in response to the flip. The quadropod will die, and it will have had 1 power when it did.

Everyone (including me) keeps missing the Slagwurm Armor.  Four damage can't kill the Myr.

the Myr also has a +0/+6 equipment, so it is 1/10

but yes, if he has enough mana to kill it before the switch you need to switch twice to prevent that

that works

Everyone (including me) keeps missing the Slagwurm Armor.  Four damage can't kill the Myr.

The reason we all missed it is because it was edited in.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Abilities do not get processed immediately upon being activated.  You activate an ability (or cast an instant) and that ability or instant goes on the stack and waits for responses.  Once both players agree that neither one of them has any more responses, the last thing that was added to the stack will actually happen first (it will be the first to "resolve").  THEN, before the NEXT thing resolves, both players will get another chance to respond to it again.  So there are a lot of responses, and responses to responses that can happen before anything actually resolves.

Also, a player who has priority can cast any number of instants or activate as many abilities as he or she wants before passing priority to the opponent.  None of those spells or abilities will actually RESOLVE until the opponent passes priority, but you can put a bunch of stuff on the satck before passing priority to your opponent if you want to. 

So, once the trident's unequip ability is activated, it goes on the stack and when it's time comes, it WILL resolve, even if the myr, the trident, and the slagwurm armor have all been destroyed in the meantime.  Now, IF the myr IS dead when the trident's ability resolves, the trident ability will use "last known information" about the myr to determine the amount of damage to deal.  In other words, it will ask "What power did the myr have just before it hit the graveyard?" and it will use that power to determine how much to burn the targeted player.  On the other hand, if the myr is still on the battlefield when the ability resolves, it will use the power that the myr has WHEN THE ABILITY ACTUALLY RESOLVES to determine damage, NOT the power it had when the ability was put on the stack, or any power it may have had in the meantime.

So, pestilence guy activates pestilence one time, and myr guy goes "ok, it happens".  1 point of damage is marked on the 1/10 myr, and it lives.  Then myr guy goes "I activate the trident ability, and in response to my own activation I activate the myr ability." Pestilence guy may or may not want to do more pings at this point, but it makes no difference if he does.  What will happen is this:

The myr will switch it's P/T and then state based actions will be performed, and the myr will go to the graveyard , but it will have had a power of 10 and toughness of 1 when it did.

Then the trident ability will resolve and deal 10 damage to pestilence guy, despite the fact that the myr is now in the graveyard, and the slagwurm armor is no longer attached to anything. The trident determines that the myr's last known power was 10, so it deals 10.

The only way pestilence guy can "win" this fight is if he has 10 black mana available, and then the way to "win" would be to wait for myr guy to activate the trident and myr abilities and then do all 10 pestilence points in response.  In that case the myr would die as a 1/10 and the trident ability would do 1 point of trident damage instead of 10.  Of course, pestilence guy just pinged himself for 10 in the process, but he also got myr guy for 10 as well... "win" is a term I use loosely here
Sign In to post comments