$25 Budget Challenge: Mono-Black Control

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, some friends of mine and I are having a bit of an informal deckbuilding challenge. The rules are pretty simple: we each select an archetype up front, and try to brew the best standard deck we can within that archetype. The only restrictions are that no two of our decks can share an archetype, and we are limited to a $25 budget, not including the cost of basic lands. All prices are estimated using TCG Player. Anyways, I picked MBC as my archetype, and this is the list I came up with. The contest ends in a few days, when we all share our list and vote on the best one.
Anyhoo, I'm curious what you guys think. What tweaks would you make, within the budget?

10 Creatures

3 Artifacts
[deck]
2 Staff of Nin
1 Elixir of Immortality
[/deck]
22 Instants & Sorceries
[deck]
3 Ultimate Price
4 Tragic Slip
3 Barter in Blood
4 Murder
4 Duress
4 Sign in Blood
[/deck]
25 Lands
[deck]
25 Swamp
[/deck]

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Dark Imposter is an interesting inclusion. Haven't seen him used much but his ability is alright. Can be situational though. Depending upon what is left in your budget, Necropolis Regent is a fun and cheap card. Most people don't expect her and if you have been able to get a couple of extra vampires out with Bloodline Keeper, you can be hitting for a bunch pretty quickly. Plus, she is a vampire and can help you Bloodline Keeper flip. With all the kill spells you have, I don't think tragic slip is necessary as a 4-of. I assume you are not building a sideboard for this challenge?
No, although I would kind of prefer to. The price of Bloodline Keeper has jumped around a bit, and currently it looks like about $16 for the set, leaving only $9 for everything else in the deck. That doesn't leave a ton of room for a SB as well, so I tried to keep the MB as versatile as I could.

I can definitely see Regent fitting the deck well; Her casting cost should be doable, and she has an ability that can impact the board the turn she comes in. (Doubling the size of any token that connects with the opponent sounds pretty dang cool, especially alongside a flipped Keeper.) I could see her as a 1-of, given her current $1.50 price tag. However, I'm not exactly sold on her either, especially since I want to start exiling their dudes when I hit 6 mana.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

if bloodline keeper is costing you too much for your "budget", then cut them.  they aren't that great anyways.  run bloodgift demon or something instead.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Would Demon be a better wincon? What SB cards should I be looking for?
At $.5 each, the Demon certainly frees up some space in the budget, but that would only make a difference if there was something significantly powerful I was trying to include, or if we were able to flesh out a good SB. 

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

There are quite a few other nice demons in standard. Treacherous Pit-Dweller and Desecration Demon and maybe Bloodgift Demon can start off a cheap value shell for a mono black deck. Underworld Connections might be favorable to Staff of Nin (although I am positive it is more expensive).
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Treacherous Pit-Dweller is an absolute no-no, but I'd definitely drink to playing Bloodgift and Desecration Demon. It kind of looks like they would too... Laughing

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Mutilate is practically the ony reason to be playing monoblack right now.
go heavy on the hand hate with appetite for brains and duress.  Also make room for a demonic rising or two, this card wins games.  black cats are great at gumming up the board early, people seem to be afraid of discarding at random.