AiR: This might just work.

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
As I've been looking into Modern, I've noticed Trinisphere isn't banned.  And even without Rite of Flame there's plenty of rituals to have All in Red worth a go.

The trick seems to be to always be on the draw.  That give you the oportunity to maybe get lucky and turn 0 Cavern.  That can set up for a possible turn 1 Disruption and Turn 2 Beatstick.

Magus rounds out the disruption and can beat face and Powder helps you mulligan well.  If they ever unban either Chrome Mox or Rite of Flame this decks suddenly get's a lot more interesting.

Ideas on improvements? 

Edit:

Exploring the idea of using Faithless Looting to help me dig for combo pieces to help me go off.  I'm considering cutting Godo + toys. 

Edit:

I really want to try to use Mox Opal foor some reason.  I'm thinking:

-7 Mountain
-1 Tenza
-1 Wargear
-1 Greaves
-1 Godo
+4 Darksteel Citadel
+3 Mox Opal
+4 Some 0 cost artifact.

Another option might be to go Memnite + Infernal Plunge.

Mostly I keep finding myself wanting 1 more avenue for Ramp, perferably early ramp.  Never thought I'd wish to be able to use Great Furnace

I'm also looking into Geosurge.  If I can find a way to cast this Deus and Sphere in the same turn, I'll be pretty happy.

I just want to be able to do this some time:
Turn 1: Mountain, pitch Spirit Guide, Ritual, Song, Geosurge, Sphere, Deus (in this order to protect Deus from a turn 1 Path).

Definitly have to look into counter magic protection for the SB though.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
I like this deck.  It's mean.

You could have a one or two of in the deck in the form of Volcanic Awakening and / or Wildfire.  What about Thundermaw Hellkite instead of Rakdos Pitty?  May be I have the wrong idea, but I could not find efficient land destruction other than what you have in the deck.
I think Pit Dragon is the correct choice still.  This deck empties it's hand very quickly and most of the spells have the sole purpose to give me red mana (ideal for a possible double striking flyer that happens to have firebreathing).  Pit Dragon also doesn't require a lot of ramp to get going, unlike any 5 drop.  I can very easily hit 4 mana on turn 1.

As for the land destruction, it's there mostly as a disruption plan VS mono-Colored decks.  Trinishpere is very important for this deck because I can't afford to have my threat removed or otherwised answered.  Sphere locks down all spells to 3 or more mana, and between Deus blowing up land when ever he hits for 6+ 8 Stone Rain effects is all I should need to ensure they can never cast any spell for defense.  As such, it really doesn't need any more.

The main problem with this deck is it's literally "All In".  You either need to ensure you have the game locked down or be prepared to loose if they answer your threat.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
I don't think you really need the double strike.  If you manage to drop the trinisphere on like turn 2, you're still well ahead of the curve.  You could sub Lodestone Golem for the Dragon and still come out a ahead.
Lodestone is a thought, but it's all about finishing the game in as few turns as possible where any creature that isn't Deus is concerned.  Pit Dragon  can very quickly become a 2 turn clock thanks to double strike if I draw into more rituals as I am prone to do.

Again, I'm going "All-In".  The last thing I want is to end up in a position where my oppoenent has a chance to recover and fire a Path to Exile or similar removal spell.  If they get that option, this deck is done, because I can't interact with them at all.

I'm open to the thought of testing it, but Pit Dragon strikes me as the strongest choice.

Edit:
Zo-Zu the Punisher might be a SB option for me.  Boarding out Magus + some other stuff to board in Zo-Zu + 8 Stone Rains seems like a decent solution to disrupting mono-colored decks.
My Decks
Someone's been playing too much vintage...
I hate dogs.
Someone's been playing too much vintage...

No, I just miss my old AiR Extended deck.  And since Trinisphere is banned in Legacy, I figured I'd try to port it to Modern.  I figure with Trinisphere I at least have a decent game VS Eggs, those Eggs don't look so tastey at 3 mana a piece.

Any advice to help improve my port? 
My Decks
Bump.

Edited the OP with an updated deck list.

Trying out Invader Parasite, I can drop him fairly quickly off of a Song and exile a land and add a damage clock.  VS Mono-Colored decks I just have to keep them off 3 lands with Sphere.  I tossed 3 Blood Moon into the SB to deal with B/x decks with few basics.  Game 2 get's interesting when they board in Slaughter Pact to kill Magus and there is no Magus for them to kill.

I'm not a big fan a Bauble, but it fetches me a card and turns on Mox until I have a Citadel + Sphere.  I'm looking into other artifact answers just to have more stuff to turn on the Mox, but I'm not seeing it.  I really just want Chrome Mox or Rite of Flame.  But I don't think I'm going to get either any time soon.

Looking to take this to a Modern tournament in the next few weeks.  Anyone think I should take this shot in the dark, or am I better of revamping one of my other lists (Zoo/Fae)?

And yes, I realize the futility of trying to get advice from a forum that is basically devoid of activity.
My Decks
I can offer personal card choices, but am still learning competitive deck building.

At least I can offer banter back and forth that will let me learn a little. 
I can offer personal card choices, but am still learning competitive deck building.

At least I can offer banter back and forth that will let me learn a little. 

The trick is learning to evaluate a decks ability to utilize certain cards when they want to.

For example, I really want Mox up at running by turn 1 or 2.  That requires me to have 2 other artifacts in play, but I don't want artifacts that exsist solely to turn on the Mox.  Ideally, I get a Citadel in play early, and either Citadel + some red source into a Ritual for Trinishpere to turn it on, or I go Citadel, Bauble and then play Mox and it goes live immediately.  Once I get Sphere in play, Mox stays alive when I crack Bauble, which then turns my future Bauble draws into a very slow way to draw a card for 3 mana.  And my Pit Dragon's have to hope I don't draw into another Mox.

Another thing to keep in mind about competitive deck building is to actively look for the weak links in the deck and find the best card to fill the void.  If you get too caught up in some kind of mimicky card interaction, you risk weakening the deck as a whole.  It takes a long time to become a good deck designer.  And I'm definetly not one.

My list is in no way original, in concept.  As felisdomesticus pointed out, AiR was originally a Vintage deck (I think it went by "Dragon Stompy") and then was ported into "old" Extended as "All in Red".  I'm just taking a crack as moving it into Modern.
My Decks

I stand by my Lodestone golem suggestion.  It does represent the All-In type, slows the opponent and is a 5/3; on the face of that ability it could substitute for double strike.  Testing it out could be interesting.  I don't really know what to add instead of bauble, there aren't really any good options.  I was thinking Explorer's Scope, because it's "look" and it goes right in to play.  But that is too big a problem.

I've been testing with Lodestone, but he really ruins my SB plan VS Mono-Colored decks.  Stone Rain really isn't appealing at 4 mana.  I don't know if he adds enough to the MD.  Trinisphere + Him give a nice set up, Sphere on turn 2, him on turn 3 can give me 1 turn  But on that same turn I can usually get in there for a lot more than 5 with Pit Dragon.

Alternately I could go with an Empty the Warrens plan B over Dragon.  I can make a crap ton of Goblins pretty quickly.  I could then us Memnite or Signal Pest over Bauble.  With Trinispher locking down sweepers to 3 mana, I could probably over run the field with tokens before they could cast something.
My Decks
Ah, I see.  If it's the choice between Memnite and Signal Pest, go pest is my opinion.  I like the goblins instead of the dragon. 
It's a toss up either way.  I do perfer the Pest though.

Memnites advtanage is it's a free count to my storm.  Which means if I hold off on it until I start going to storm out the Goblins, I can 2 more Goblins for nothing.  I just have to try to either generate enough mana to also cast Trinisphere.  Not too had a job with the right hand.

Turn 1: Citadel, Memnite, Mox, Ritual, Song, Warrens for 10 Goblins

That's only 6 cards.  Since I always opt to draw, turn 1 still leaves me with 2 cards in hand. and 1 mana in my pool from Song. if I had a seond Song in hand, that leaves me with mana left over for Trinishpere.  And a +4 Goblins.

But I perfer Pest because of Battle Cry.  If I get 10 Goblins + pest on turn 1, I'm probably winning that game.  It's assured if I have Trinisphere in play, but I don't think I can ramp that on turn 1.

Turn 1: Citadel, Mox, pitch Spirit Guide, Ritual, Pest, Ritual, Warrens for 10 Goblins.  I can't think of a way to also get Trinisphere out of that.  It's too tight on cards.  Pests 1 mana locks down any hope I have to combo off AND play Trinisphere.
My Decks
Pit Dragon is not the evasive finisher and you know it.

Please use Demigod of Revenge.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Demigod forces me to have that Song in hand though.  Without Chrome Mox, or Rite of Flame to help accel the process, I don't know if I can risk a second 5 drops.  I played with Godo, but that never did much, outside of fetching me a Lightning Greaves and slaping it on Godo to begin the beatings.

I can get Pit Dragon in on turn 1 with no problem, and then the 2 mana to give him flying get's that evasion.

I've used Demigod in the past, but I'm not sure about him at the moment.
My Decks
I guess the citadel kills it.

Sissy girl. 

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

What else would you suggest for ramp other than the Mox I can use?  If that Mox goes, Citadel goes, and as does my other 4 slots dedicated to mostly turning the Mox on.  Some Mountains have to get add in, but that still leaves room to work with, around 6 slots.  Let's hear what you'd suggest.
My Decks
I'm not knocking your plan. Just curious how often you're really stuck on RRRR1 and not RRRRR. The deck looks solid.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I'm mostly just pulling my hair out trying to figure out how I can reliably dump a Sphere turn 1 and Something else turn 2.

Citadel really isn't too big a concern, all my rituals can take and it covers the the artifact front to turn on Mox.  Even in 1 game where where I was stuck on double Citadel, I was able to pull off a Turn 1 Sphere off of a Spirit Guide, after playing my Mox (the only reason I kept the hand).  Turn 2 Seething Song into Deus did the rest.

Most of the time, Citadel has just been fodder for Caverns though.

I probably could get by with Demigod though, I just don't want to have to relay on 3 Rituals at once or have to have Song + Ritual.  That's what the Demigod - Dragon debate boils down too.
My Decks
I understand.

Demigod does provide a high level of resilience and aggression, goes over the top of Jund, provides value discards to Lili 2.0 (oh the lulz), and due to haste smashes Karn right in the damn face for often enough to make him irrelevant if not kill him outright. Take that, Karn.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Yeah, Demigod has a lot going on for it.  He's strong against a lot of removal.  4 Thoughness makes him hard to burn off, being Black and multi-color saves him from Terror/Doom Blade/Ultamite Price.  Basically I just have Path to worry about.  And Trinisphere holds that off until turn 3.  Gives me a couple of turns to dig for a back up plan.  But all my digging usually just provides me with Rituals (as I have 12 + Spirit Guides).  That's why I favor Pit Dragon.  He's more suseptable to removal, but removal can't be played until turn 3, and since Pit Dragon picks up double strike via Hellbent, and the fact I can give him evasion + he has firebreathing, it doesn't leave much time to find removal.

What do you think about my Warrens plan?  Think it's worth me trying out?  I never played a version with Storm in it.

I'm having some second thoughts about my SB.  I think I need some slots devoted to hate cards for the hate cards people can bring in VS me.
My Decks
Bump.

My Warrens plan has been showing mixed results. Pest is definetly the artifact to enable Mox if I'm running Warrens but I find I'm rarely getting an impressive storm count. On average I get 6 goblins and that number is easily reduced to 4 with a tmely spell pierce. With so few Goblins I just don't have the punch to wrap the game up before they can rebound.

I might play with some Bushwackers to try to speed up my clock but I might just go back to Pit Dragon. I do enjoy the protection multiple guys offer but if those bodies are bad at being the threatening the field I might be better with a single more threatening creature.
My Decks
Magus seems to be causing a bit more problems than Trinisphere.I just might have to add a 4th to the MD.
My Decks
The whole 8 Stone Rain SB isn't working out like I hopped it would.

New SB I'm testing:

4 Empty the Warrens
4 Signal Pest or Goblin Bushwhacker
3 Blood Moon (For if I think they're boarding in Slaughter Pact for Magus[/c])
4 Phyrexian Probe (for decks running Blue, or if I think they boarded in Mindbreak Trap)

Warren's would replace Deus, and thus give me lots of bodies VS 1.  If I go Pest, Pest replaces Bauble.  Bushwacker would probably replace Magus + 1 Dragon.  I'm leaning on Pest right now.  It's more consitant than Bushwacker.

I'm also up in the air on my Sphere/Magus split.  Magus seems to be doing more disruption, and he can swing for 2.  Sphere is obviously better VS Mono-Colored decks, but I really haven't seen any.
My Decks
Sphere also stops clasm/bolt if you're running gobbos or get back on the dragon.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Wow I just realized I was being stupid about trap. Sphere answers it. That leaves me with 4 open SB slots. Ideas anyone?

I'm going to test a few Golems again as I feel I need at least 2 more threats.
My Decks
I think you're best off with/lockdown package that's fairly effective g1 but tunable for g2+.

So, yes. Lode that sideboard up.

Alternately, depending on how fast you're dumping your hand and how much you're locking them out, a tempo play and/or tybalt could be cute. Ignore the text of his +1 and just count to 4.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
I think I'd get further running Sudden Impact than running Tibalt to do the same thing.

I'm also going to test Demigod over Deus. Haste + Evasion seems better that setting up a full lock out with Sphere.
My Decks
I think my best bet is still using Deus.

My SB now looks like:
3 Blood Moon
3 Empty the Warrens
2 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Signal Pest
3 Demigod of Revenger

Demigod gives me a random change up win condition, or to be used VS mono-colored decks.  Warrens + Bushwacker + Pest go in VS mono-color, or if I just want to run a surprise change up.  I figure it's enough cards to give them pause between games 1/2.

This is getting it's first live fire games come Thursday.  No more playtesting games.

Edit:

Nix'd a Caverns from the MD, and dropped Demigod for SB Mountains (in case I'm not playing second in the next game).  Also looking to add some draw to the MD.  Looking like Probe or Street Wraith.  Wraith doesn't change post Trinisphere, but Probe looks suddenly really bad once Trinisphere hits the table.  I'll probably continue with sudden changes prior to event start, but I'm really liking it's current (as of yet unlisted) form.  Fairly consistant turn 1/2 board locks with turn 4/5 kills.

Bushwhacker might not be keeping his SB slots, but I can't think of what else to put in.  Might go Lodestone Golem, or maybe Thorn of Amethyst.

Edit:

No Modern for me.  My wife got sick and needed looking after.  It happens.

Updated List (1/10/13):

Main Deck:
Treats:
3 Rakdos Pit-Dragon
4 Deus of Calamity

Disruption Package:
3 Magus of the Moon
4 Trinisphere

Tech:
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Serum Powder

Ramp:
3 Mox Opal
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Seething Song

Land:
3 Gemstone Caverns
4 Darksteel Citadel
8 Mountain

Sideboard:
3 Blood Moon
3 Mountain
4 Signal Pest
3 Empty the Warrens
2 Chandra Nalaar

So far my biggest problems have been the ocasional wiff when I couldn't hit that crucial extra 1 mana to start to try to go off, or getting stuck with dead cards (2nd Mox/Caverns).  I was wish I had a way to pitch them to help enable Hellbent, but nothing seems up to the job.  The problem ultimitle comes down to my lack of access to Chrome Mox and Rite of Flame.

I really wish I could cut my need for Metalcraft since another problem I occisionally have is having all the mana I could possibly want sitting in my hand via rituals I can cast, but having nothing to do with it. 2 or 3 more threat slots and I'd set.  I'd be thrilled for: -3 Mox, -4 Bauble, +4 Rite, +1 Dragon, +2 Arc-Slogger. But I don't think I'll be getting any way to enable me to get 2 mana on turn 1 consistantly.  As it is, Bauble spends most of it's time as a free delayed card.
My Decks
I've determined my threat count is a little low, and Mox isn't worth the trouble.  Also, Probe isn't worth it.  I tried Street Wraith, but the draw just makes me want to risk hands I wouldn't otherwise try to keep.

-4 Citadel
+3 Mountain
+1 Caverns

-4 Bauble
+4 Blood Moon

-3 Mox
+3 Demigod

-4 Probe
+1 Magus
+3 Mountain

SB is looking like:
4 Mountain (to replace Caverns if I have to start)
3 Empty the Warrens
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Lodestone Golem

Might switch Blood Moon and Chalice of the Void, but it seems non-basic hate is more powerful.

Edit:

In testing I've noticed all my 5-drops have been rather greedy, and Warrens doesn't seem to be as needed with Chalice. Lodestone also is trying to push me in more of a Stax direction, and I don't want to go down that road (mostly because I'm looking to sell off my Opals to fund Vintage/Legacy decks).  I dropped down to 3 "5-drops" (Deus, with SB Demigod), and am running 4 Gathan Raiders.  They play well with Pit Dragon, and can be rapped out with just a Ritual.  As some cover for them, and to be cute, I'm trying out a pair (+1 SB) of Zoetic Cavern.

Lodestone is getting replace with Ratchet Bomb which should help VS Goyf.

My Threats are now:

3 Deus (MD)
4 Raiders (MD)
4 Pit Dragon (MD)
3 Demigod (SB)

With 11 solid threats MD, 8 of them not requiring Song to ramp out on turn 1 (it's not uncommon for me to have 2 Rituals in hand) I should be fairly well off.  I almost think I might be getting to a point where Serum Powder might not be needed, but more testing will have to tell that one way or another.

My Decks
Dear DCI,

Thank you for successfully killing my pet deck.  It is not as though enough hate for Storm already exsists (see: Thalia, Gaddoc, Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere, Mindbreak Trap, Thorn of Amethyst and as well as light counter magics to stop them from ramping via Song).  By banning Song you've effectively killed any hope I might have had at making this deck viable.

Regards,
Anubuss

----------------------

Due to recent events, I now find myself being forced to use Mox Opal.

-4 Seething Song
-3 Mountain
+3 Mox Opal
+4 Darksteel Citadel

I'm exploring the use of Geosurge, as the actions of a desperate man.

My Decks
I haven't read through the rest of the thread but I did see the decklist from the original post and I really liked it except that I have to be that guys who is gonna tell you that [C] Seething Song [/C] was just added to the banned list.
Yeah, I noticed.  Hence why in my previous post, I'm looking back into Mox Opal, and testing Geosurge (again).

Geosurge does what I want, but it's a turn slower, and when I'm trying to empty my hand to Hellbent a Pit-Dragon, I can't touch it's mana for it's firebreathing/grant it flying.

My only other option is to stick with 3/4-cmc threats, and I think I've exhausted all the viable ones.
My Decks
New list:

Accel:
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Simian Spirit Guide

Creatures:
3 Countryside Crusher
3 Avatar of Discord
4 Moltensteel Dragon
4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
4 Gathan Raiders

Disruption:
4 Trinisphere
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Blood Moon

Land:
4 Gemstone Caverns
13 Mountain

Sideboard:
4 Mountain
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Ratchet Bomb
3 Empty the Warrens

The goal is still mostly the same, except I ditch Demigod (and the need to use Geosurge) for Crusher and Moltensteel Dragon.  I have 10 threats I can play on turn 1 thanks to a timely Ritual, and 8 more theats that require a Spirit Guide (or second Ritual) to get me the 4th mana I need (Or I can wait until turn 2).
My Decks

Current Working Build:

Creatures:
4 Magus of the Moon
3 Avatar of Discord
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
4 Gathan Raiders
4 Moltensteel Dragon

Spells:
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Trinisphere
4 Blood Moon

Land:
4 Gemstone Caverns
16 Mountain

Sideboard:
4 Mountain
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Ratchet Bomb
3 Mox Opal

Looking to MD Chalice and SB Lodestone Golem.  Basically SB into a Stax type of deck VS mono-colored decks. 

My Decks
Updated build:

SB is up in the air.  I have to have 4 Mountains in case someone doesn't want me on the draw.  4 Ratchet Bomb is also looking pretty useful.  No ideas really on the last 7 slots though, still looking for that perfect bit of mono-color hate-tech.
My Decks
I looked into Boom//Bust, but opted to avoid it since it just wasn't doing the kind of work I needed done.  Booming a Citadel is fun, but with only 4 in the deck, it's hard to draw them to use as a Boom target.  With my rituals, I think I'm better served with Stone Rain/Molten Rain.  However i'm not convinced land destruction is the way to go for mono-colored hate.
My Decks