Help me Make a DM FAQ Quiz

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm posting this in 2 places as I feel it is very relevant for both places.  I will cross reference both and try to keep the OP updated in both places if people are willing to help out a little.

I am making a quiz to give to local DMs to help work through some common misrulings and some of the more complicated rules issues.  I've already bookmarked the FAQs for the individual lists and Im working through the Simple Question/Simple Answer threads (As well as the rules you didnt realize) to mine for information.

What I'm asking of the community:

What I want:
1) Give me a situation that is either True or False that is centered around a particular rule.
2) Commonly misunderstood / misruled things from your games.  You have a personal pet-peeve rule that gets misquoted or botched a lot lets make this happen.
3) Give a short reasoning as to why the answers are T or F.

What I don't want:
1) Anything that is overly Rules-fuzzy.  Im not talking if we cut apart Twinstrike we can say it deals 4 attacks, I mean stuff that is going to be openly contested.  Its a hard line to judge, but try to avoid it.

2) Things that are extremely specific.  Stuff that only 1 build ever does if combined with 4 other builds and only on crits that happen on tuesday.

Example Q:

25) If a target is Vulnerable 5 Fire and Vulnerable 10 All and they are hit for 8 fire 
damage they take 18 damage total.

Show

Answer: True.  Vulnerable All does not stack with any other vulnerability type and instead is the only one counted for the purposes of this damage.  See Vulnerabilities in the Glossary.

Once we get a few submissions I'll post more of mine.  I also plan on having a short multiple choice "scenario" section to help with some more complicated stuff.

Thanks in advance for your participation. 

Link to the other thread: 

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Good idea, but your answer to that example question is misleading. vulnerable all can stack with other vulnerabilities. Example. Monster X is vulnerable 20 radiant, and vulnerable 10 all. You hit with an attack that deals 7 radiant and fire damage. The monster takes 37 damage.
Good idea, but your answer to that example question is misleading. vulnerable all can stack with other vulnerabilities. Example. Monster X is vulnerable 20 radiant, and vulnerable 10 all. You hit with an attack that deals 7 radiant and fire damage. The monster takes 37 damage.

That is entirely debatable, but not for this thread. Lets stick to rules that there's a concensus on.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
If a creature has an opportunity action power that triggers when a target move, it will trigger even if the target shifted, teleported or was pushed, pulled or slid. False.  Shifting, teleporting and forced movement do not trigger opportunity actions, unless otherwise noted. See shift, teleportation or force movement rules in the rule.

If 2 allies flank an invisible enemy that is dazed, they still won't be able to gain combat advantage. True. A creature must be able to see a target to gain combat advantage against it. See combat advantage rules.

If a creature starts an encounter invisible or become invisible during combat, the DM should remove the miniature/token from the battlemap until become visible ? False. Combattants always know where every creatures are located unless they are hidden and thus the miniature/token should remain in view of everyone. See rules for targeting what you can't see.

A creature can choose itself with a power that target a creature within x squares of you. True. It is still a creature within x squares of itself.

A creature still provide allies with cover against ranged attacks even if it is prone, stunned or hidden. True. Granting cover in this fashion does not require you to be visible, standing or able to act. See rules for cover.

A creature who used a triggered action usable once per round can use it again as soon as a new round start. False. A game element usable once per round can’t be used again until the start of the your next turn. See  once per round in glossary.

You can also find great ones in the Rules Q&A FAQ.

Actually that's not correct, but moving on...
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Thanks for your submission Plaguescarred.  I will likely use all of them except the ranged one as I already have a question about cover gained from allies.

Keep them coming.  Right now I'm at 44 questions (excluding submissions).  The goal is to get to 100 and then whittle it down to about 75 or so.

Thanks everyone for participating in this project! 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
You're welcome Matyr!

I am curious what's the quizz on cover ?  I decided to present it by touching on the status of the coverer rather than simply addressing what attack types it work for because  i've seen these interrogations by some DMs during games before. 

Ex. You can't provide cover because your prone...or stunned/insubstantial ...
I might include that one as well then.

Currently here is the question, I'll post the answer later .

True of False?

10) A Warlord using Lamb to the Slaughter on a medium sized enemy placed directly behind a large sized enemy takes a -2 penalty for that enemy having cover.
Show
That's what i suspected it would be. Laughing

Its a good one too as many DMs easily miss that Creatures and Cover only apply to ranged attacks. 
That's what i suspected it would be. 

Its a good one too as many DMs easily miss that Creatures and Cover only apply to ranged attacks. 

Yep, I myself got that one wrong when I was first DMing.  About half of the list are things that I originally got wrong when playing and DMing or are things I saw other DMs get wrong in person.  Those situations are what I'm hoping to get from others in these threads.

Show
Yeah that is good. Hope it will help future DMs! 

Got another popular one:

A Fighter will stop an enemy before it shift away if it hit him with his opportunity attack ? False. It is Combat Challenge that trigger upon shifting and Combat Superiority that stop movement on opportunity attack and the two do not interact.  

Nice list Plaguescarred! btw: if anyone feels that some of these should be added to the FAQ, let me know.
(update: just post in this thread which ones you think would be most useful)
Sure, why not. These may help people. Feel free to modify them so they are YES/NO questions  rather than True/False Quiz if it blend better. Wink
Nice list Plaguescarred! btw: if anyone feels that some of these should be added to the FAQ, let me know.
(update: just post in this thread which ones you think would be most useful)

I would ask that you not do this quite yet if you don't mind.  I'll be posting a full quiz fairly soon (basically as soon as I know how to link powers and have a bit of spare time).
Show
Show
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

The Quiz is up, thanks for those who submitted questions.  Now its time to test you skills
Show
Sign In to post comments