GB Noob deck for FNM; Comment Please!

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I went and played in my first contructed FNM last Friday. I played witha deck similar to below I did ok coming in the middle of the pack. I have made some changes and would really like some input from experienced players to help me out. One of the bigger changes I made was to my Mana base. I bought some duel lands becuase the guild gates where killing me.

Deck:

Land
6 Forest
7 Swamp
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Woodland Cemetery
4 Evolving Wilds
Creatures
3 Young Wolf
2 Daggerdrome Imp
3 Dawntreader Elk
4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Desecration Demon
2 Disciple of Bolas
1 Deadbridge Goliath
4 Wolfir Silverheart
1 Bloodgift Demon
1 Necropolis Regent
Spells
4 Duress
3 Farseek
3 Essence Harvest
4 Rancor

Sideboard
1 Ulvenwald Tracker
2 Bramblecrush
3 Tragic Slip
2 Savage Surge
2 Golgari Charm
3 Cremate
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Vraska the Unseen

Some Notes: I want to replace Cremate with Deathrite Shaman as soon as I have the spare $$

Basically I want to play big Lifelink Creatures hit hard steal life and Essence drain for large hits too(since I have large creatures). I can pretty realiable hit Vampire Nighthawk Soulbonded to Wolfir Silverheart by turns 4-6. Playing in STD FNM I found Duress and Bramblecrush to be extremly useful for me! I can get rid of planes walkers and nasty spells/enchantments before and if needed after they are played. I found these cheap cards a good alternative to having the good cards myself.
Not sure if you'd want Slitherhead over Young Wolf.

I'd probably use Arbor Elf over Dawntreader Elk for ramp.

IF you can get any, Thragtusk would be bonkers of course and kinda fits right in with the life-gain (in addition to extreme resilience).

Also just depending if you want a more aggro approach, Dreg Mangler may interest you.

Cheers!
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I actually swapped Slitherhead out for Young wolf after last friday beacuase the extra chump block is nice against aggressive Decks. It's also a nice target for Disciple of bolas.

I could get Arbor Elf out sooner... but the multipurpose use of Dawntreader Elk is why I used it. I can attach or kill block(Geist of Saint Traft) early with it if need be. Also If I leave up one Green You can't touch the Dawntreader Elk because I'll sack it if you try. It's a tough call I'll have to see what it would let me ramp to sooner?

I have some Thragtusk but what would I cut to put them in?

Ya not Aggro focused, I want to survive the first 4 turns then come out. So I nixed Dreg Mangler
I actually swapped Slitherhead out for Young wolf after last friday beacuase the extra chump block is nice against aggressive Decks. It's also a nice target for Disciple of bolas.

I could get Arbor Elf out sooner... but the multipurpose use of Dawntreader Elk is why I used it. I can attach or kill block(Geist of Saint Traft) early with it if need be. Also If I leave up one Green You can't touch the Dawntreader Elk because I'll sack it if you try. It's a tough call I'll have to see what it would let me ramp to sooner?

I have some Thragtusk but what would I cut to put them in?

Ya not Aggro focused, I want to survive the first 4 turns then come out. So I nixed Dreg Mangler

Cut the Imp to fit in your Tusk. And I'd definitely run the Manglers; Scavenge helps them stay relevant throughout the game. Besides, even if you aren't a focused aggro deck, you are still trying to get your opponent from 20 to 0, and Mangler definitely helps with that.
I'd also cut the Regent, due to it being a bit win-more. If you want a similar force multiplier for a significantly lower cost, you could try Corpsejack Menace.
P.S. Strangleroot Geist might be another good option, as a SB card against control, if nothing else... (Although it's definitely strong enough for MB.)

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

With six dual lands you're getting to the point where you don't need Evolving Wilds, which are slower. I'd replace at least two with basic lands and, in the long term, look at buying two more Overgrown Tomb (about $10 each on ebay).
So I went to FNM Standard.... They ended up switching it to Sealed so I didn't get to play my Deck and see how the changes worked out.

I agree too, more Overgrown Tomb's are needed.

Here is my current build, Thoughts?

Land
7 Forest
7 Swamp
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Woodland Cemetery
3 Evolving Wilds
Creatures
2 Arbor Elf
3 Strangleroot Geist
2 Dreg mangler
4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Desecration Demon
2 Disciple of Bolas
4 Wolfir Silverheart
1 Bloodgift Demon
3 Thragtusk
Spells
4 Duress
4 Farseek
3 Essence Harvest
3 Rancor

Sideboard
1 Ulvenwald Tracker
2 Bramblecrush
3 Tragic Slip
2 Golgari Charm
3 Cremate
2 Murder
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Vraska the Unseen

(-- EDIT --) Sorry after posting I noticed I missed cutting and pasting one creature in my Deck, Strangelroot Geist. Fixed now.

Abrupt Decay is getting cheaper and cheaper. It might have slipped under $7 per copy. You don't need to play 4 of them but 2 might be nice for your deck. 
If you end up adding two more Overgrown Tomb, you shouldn't need the Evolving Wilds. Also, the mana curve seems top heavy. Either increase the mana ramping with +2 Arbor Elf or replace some of your high cost cards with 1- and 2-mana drops, such as Slitherhead or Strangleroot Geist.

Knight of Infamy may be a good sideboard card. 
If you end up adding two more Overgrown Tomb, you shouldn't need the Evolving Wilds. Also, the mana curve seems top heavy. Either increase the mana ramping with +2 Arbor Elf or replace some of your high cost cards with 1- and 2-mana drops, such as Slitherhead or Strangleroot Geist.

Knight of Infamy may be a good sideboard card. 

The mana curve is a bit messed it's almost flat;

Mana       Card Count
1                 9
2                 7
3                 9
4                 4
5                 8

But in game play so far it hasn't been a big issue. I survive until turn 4 then I start coming out with big creatures, life link and essence harvest quickly making up what I lost.

The evolving wilds will defidently be cut down to 1 or 2 once I get 2 more Overgrown Tomb's.

I'm a bit at a loss to understand Knight of Infamy? What exactly would I side him in to deal with? Thanks!

I'm a bit at a loss to understand Knight of Infamy? What exactly would I side him in to deal with? Thanks!

I think you're right to be at a loss. I was looking for good 2-mana drops, but I retract my suggestion.