promo unlock thread discussion - Act of War

76 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is a thread for discussion related to the promo unolck thread.

Use this thread to explain your card nominations or to voice your opinion on other cards that have been nominated for Act of War.

I'll start by saying that I think leonin sun standard may be OP. 

and this was the list I posted:

1 x master warcraft
1 x firemane angel
1 x Duergar Hedge-Mage
1 x figure of destiny
1 x razia, boros archangel
1 x cerodon yearling

It was really tough trying to nail it down to 10 cards. Honourable mentions have to go to spitemare, brion stoutarm, marshal's anthem, and goblin legionnaire.
Explaining my choices:

Balefire Liege and Lightning Helix
The past promo unlocks included more copies of useful cards already in the deck. Nothing to explain here.

Figure of Destiny, Cerodon Yearling and Precinct Captain
People playing this deck as an aggro deck (like me) will agree that one of its weakness is the number of good, cheap creatures (we shouldn't be using Veteran Armorer here). Those guys should do the trick. The double white cost of the Captain may be a liability, but the effect is very powerful, so I think its worth a spot. He's also a very Boros card (flavorwise), so, bonus points for that :v

Fault Line and Duergar Hedge-Mage
My forum comrades playing the midrange/"control" version of this deck would be mad if didn't throw a bone to them, although the Dwarf may have a place even in an aggro list just because he's an useful creature (that's why I suggested him instead of something like Orim's Thunder). For the sweeper, I wanted it to be an instant and be damege-based, because it will be awesome to see your creatures surviving it thanks to Glory of Warfare. At this point, it was between Fault Line and Volcanic Fallout, but I went with the Line because I think its more versatile.

Hero of Oxid Ridge
I wanted a powerful Battle Cry creature, because I think this mechanic is VERY Boros. It would be him or his sister, but, since we already have her in CM, I went with him. The effect can help a lot too.

Master Warcraft
I don't think this card would help that much the deck (actually, I would like a Guardians' Pledge here), but that card is too Boros to not be in the deck. And its quite good. Not the best, but good.

Curse of Stalked Prey
My first pick was Leonin Sun Standard, but I thought "hey, I don't want this to be March to War 2.0! I want new cards!". So I was out there searching for something to replace it. Playing this deck, I realized that, since your creatures have First/Double Strike, most of the time they won't be blocked (hint: chump blocking a 1/1 is not a good idea). "So", I thought, "if blocking this deck creatures is a bad idea, why not make not blocking a even worse idea?" Enters the Curse. I admit, its not a card that will work every time, and it isn't an auto include like the standard would be, but it's a very fun, and powerful, card to have in the deck, like, for example, Spawnwrithe in AW. And the Curse is just sick if you connect with Boros Swiftblade Laughing

About other people suggestions, a few notes

- I saw too many cards for the control lists. Come on people, it's Boros, give aggro some love! :D

- I can't remember every decklist in the history of DotP, but I don't think we ever seen 2 copies of a legendary creature in the same deck.

- I didn't suggest Brion Stoutarm and Goblin Trenches because I was out of space, but those would be nice additions to the deck too.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Figure of Destiny should be unaminous in my opinion. Power card that can run a game if left unchecked and fills the lacking 1 drop spot. Gets my vote just because of being able to show the "leveling" effect of the card visually.

Another removal piece from the deck. Forth Lightning Helix works, but I wouldn't mind a second Faith's Fetters or Intimidation Bolt. Might throw in a good mass removal option for the control players on top of one of these, but we'll see.

Artifact and enchantment removal for sure. Pretty much either Orim's Thunder or Duergar Hedge-Mage I think. Might give the nod to the creature since he fits both aggro and midrange better and combos with some of the other cards (Scourge of the Nobilis/Glory to Warfare for example).

I think there should be another 4 drop in the list. A second Spitemare is fine, but even Brion Stoutarm could be a strong addition. Plenty of other goodies available too, but those were ones at the top of my head.

I'd likely include Searing Meditation just for the Firemane Angel interaction. It just seems like something that would've been done if the promos were there from the start.

Other things I'd look out for are strong multiplayer cards that might be "trash" in 1v1. Promos often include a card or two for that purpose. So look for something big and flashy, or that affects the entire table. I saw the mentions of Powerstone Minefield which could fit this category. It's an interesting addition because it wrecks a lot of the creatures in the list, but shows a little synergy with the Veteran Armorers.

So, not a complete list here by the way, just some of my current jumbled thoughts and opinions.
Yea, I realised afterwards that my list was very control oriented, I probably should've added some more aggro. Oh well. Here it is again anyway:

Firstly, I didn't add Cerodon Yearling, even though it is awesome, because I don't really think it is worth it as a singleton. And felbatista, to comment on your comment about seeing 2 legendaries in the same deck, I always thought the same thing until someone pointed out to me that there are two copies of Kaervek the Merciless in GM.

I thought Brigid and Desolation Giant would be great additions to this deck, because they are both creatures that can act as sweepers.

Gisela might just be a wee bit too powerful, but I think Brion Stoutarm would be a great fit.

Duergar Hedge-Mage probably would've been a better choice instead of Orim's Thunder, but I just loved that 2-for-1 removal.

The Hobgoblin is aggro but the rest are all control. I guess I just like control. But at least Master Warcraft and Incite Hysteria are control that let your creatures do their thing, and are both very Boros.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

I'm going to apologize in advance for this but how do you tag a card in a post to where when your sctroll over the card name the picture appears?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I'm going to apologize in advance for this but how do you tag a card in a post to where when your sctroll over the card name the picture appears?

Anytime you see someone do something cool, just quote their post; it'll show exactly what they did.

To answer your question, use [ c ] cardname [ / c ] without all the spaces.
Bathe in Light - my reason for this choice is to protect from kill spells that key creature you need or as a very good combat surprise.
Battlegate Mimic - more aggro pretty simple.
Cerodon Yearling - adorable and that's it.
Hearthfire Hobgoblin - pretty straight forward the offensive aggro.
Captain's Maneuver - very interesting things can be done with this.
Duergar Hedge-Mage - more removal, as this deck's very weak against enchantments.
Orim's Thunder - more removal for what this deck can't deal with.
Master Warcraft - a very nice card for both aggro and control versions of the deck.
Razia's Purification - a splendid game ending card, love it in real life, would be amazing to see in the deck.
Razia, Boros Archangel - it's Razia, enough said.

To expand on what Hakeem said, you can also do [ c=cardname ]text[ /c ]
Then the text part will sappear as written, but when you highlight it you get a card image.

Like so.

Just, you know... For future reference.

To expand on what Hakeem said, you can also do [ c=cardname ]text[ /c ]
Then the text part will sappear as written, but when you highlight it you get a card image.

Like so.

Just, you know... For future reference.

awesome!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Explanations and rationale:

1 x Figure of Destiny

-Fits the deck well as a fourth one-drop
-Curves well at pretty much any point in the game to something effective
-Fun and powerful, but not overly so; one is good (though I wouldn't turn down a second one)

1 x Lightning Helix

-Great spot removal against aggro, reach against control, and resistance against aggro and burn with the bonus lifegain
-Would also have great synergy with... 

2 x Searing Meditation

-Great synergy with many cards in the deck, and gives a mild controlling nature in a unique way
-Easily worked in due to already being in the Duels games before
-Would perform slightly differently than in MtW from Duels 2012 due to this deck's lack of Soul Warden and Recumbent Bliss (with conditions like Firemane Angel)

1 x Faith's Fetters

-More lifegain and permanent removal that can be overcome in interactive ways
-This deck needs more ways to deal with larger threats

2 x Duergar Hedge-Mage

-Fits in the deck's curve well
-Gives this deck a sorely-needed way to deal with artifacts and enchantments permanently
-Good synergy with Balefire Liege
-Very rarely ever a dead draw
-Not many ways of getting card advantage in this deck, so a pair of DHMs would allow it to keep up better with the best decks

2 x Battlegate Mimic

-Potent, and easier on the manabase to cast than Cerodon Yearling
-Encourages thoughtful interaction with one's own draws for patience versus early opportunity
-Great built-in combat tricks

1 x Brion Stoutarm

-Efficiently costed
-Gives a valuable option to a deck without many solid options at the four-drop
-Adds reach in both direct damage and lifegain
-Turns many removal options from opponents into life swings
-Plays well off of Glory of Warfare, Balefire Liege, and Nobilis of War (as well as Searing Meditation if it makes the cut)

Other good options people have mentioned:

Bathe in Light - Either a nice way to alpha strike for a win, or to protect your entire board.  I'd never put it over a fourth Lightning Helix, though, or a second Faith's Fetters or Intimidation Bolt (either of which would also be very welcome).

Hearthfire Hobgoblin - Easy on the mana base, and of course double strike is a great ability in this deck.  Would much rather see some Hedge-Mages if it's a choice between them, though.  Still, great card, and would work well here.

A second Balefire Liege or Nobilis of War - I would absolutely love to see either of these get another copy in this deck, probably over Brion Stoutarm honestly.  A second Spitemare would also be great.

Orim's Thunder - Direct artifact or enchantment removal, with the option to tack on the ability to take out a creature.  I'd rather have DHM for all of the reasons I mentioned before, but this does work instantly, and has no other conditions attached to it.  Either it or DHM (or both) should absolutely be on a short list to add to this deck.

Hero of Oxid Ridge is a nice four-drop to consider as well, and is pretty powerful in a deck like this.  He needs more ways to clear a path for him, though, but even barring that, he'd be good on this list.

Goblin Trenches is a solid card, and would really push the cheap aggro theme.  I really like it because it's one of those cards that is like the push toward one side or the other of the proverbial fence for how you'd like to play this deck, since it doesn't really go well in the slower, larger builds as it eats your mana base in a deck with no reliable way of building or replenishing it quickly.

Any good red or white card with the Miracle mechanic would be strong, angelic, and flashy enough to drive sales.

Options that could work, but wouldn't be as good as others we could choose from

Moonhold - For people who want to play more of a control style, this can be like a baby Time Warp.  I wouldn't include it over pretty much any card already listed here, though.  Searing Meditation would be a much better control card.

Powerstone Minefield - Decent against hard, cheap aggro (which this game has plenty of), but your deck doesn't usually fold to those already, and this takes way too much luck and playing around to not burn you as well.  Again, there are other flashy control cards that could be used which would work better overall.

Cerodon Yearling - Not a bad card at all, mind you, but the specific mana requirement is a bit harsh.  From the standpoints of consistency, interativity, and potency, Battlegate Mimic is much better all-around.  Same is true for Precinct Captain, except he doesn't even interact with Balefire Liege as well.  I wouldn't play the Yearling, the Captain, or Goblin Legionnaire over Veteran Armorer if they were all available.

Large angels - We already have Sunblast Angel and Firemane Angel; why do we need more expensive creatures in a deck like this?  Gisela costs too much to ever warrant inclusion; though potent, she doesn't affect much if she dies quickly, unlike the other two angels I just mentioned.  Razia wouldn't be terrible, since she's a bit more aggressive in both cost and presence, but wouldn't you rather just have a second Balefire Liege or Nobilis of War?

Razia's Purification - Only really pushes your advantage over the top.  The biggest threats this deck has are permanents it can't handle, like large, resistant creatures, or good artifacts and enchantments that your lone Fetters can't stop.  Your opponent will always keep their best threats on the table, which is what you're usually looking to remove with a mass-removal card.

Volcanic Fallout and Fault Line - Both are great cards, but again, you're not usually losing to the rushdown decks due to your good number of smaller creatures with first or double strike, burn, and lifegain.  In here, you'd have to have something else out to really break these open, and what you'd really be hosing are decks you typically aren't losing to most of the time.  Desolation Giant is the best idea for mass removal I've heard in this deck that isn't Wrath of God or Day of Judgment.  Brigid isn't bad here either, but she's not direct enough for me, and her ability relies on other creatures attacking or blocking.  It's more of the same argument, really.

Master Warcraft - Good combat trick, but Bathe in Light would allow you to both alpha strike and protect your side of the board.

Incite Hysteria - See everything I just wrote about Master Warcraft.

Captain's Maneuver - Decent, but I'd rather just have more of the burn or removal this deck has already, as they're all better than this is most of the time. 

Double Cleave - Neat combat trick, but again, I'd rather have Bathe in Light, or just more burn or removal instead.

Marshal's Anthem - I love this card, but it's already found in two other decks.  Just give me a second Liege or Nobilis instead, please. 

Curse of Stalked Prey - What would you cut to make room for this?  It's an okay, but not great card at all, and it doesn't address any of this deck's shortcomings, or add any different ways to play or interact.  Flavor-wise, cursing your opponent in an angel/Boros deck is odd as well. 

Squee's Embrace - As a promo card?  Really?

Explanations and rationale...

All of the promo cards for every other deck are singletons, there haven't been any 2-ofs and I don't expect they would change that if they were to consider adding more promos. That is why everyone is listing 10 single cards.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

I'm not too excited about Desolation Giant. If I'm over-paying my sweeper, I should be getting something better than a 3/3. The cost can be a factor too. Maybe Martial Coup would be better. One more mana for a completely game changing effect, and it can also help if you don't have the mana to sweep.

I also don't think building the deck around Searing Meditation would be good. The deck is very mana intensive, and there aren't that many sources of life gain. Without Soul Warden, I'm skeptical.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Volcanic Fallout and Fault Line - Both are great cards, but again, you're not usually losing to the rushdown decks due to your good number of smaller creatures with first or double strike, burn, and lifegain.  In here, you'd have to have something else out to really break these open, and what you'd really be hosing are decks you typically aren't losing to most of the time.

Agree with almost all your comments, but this. Of course you won't use Fault Line in a pure aggro deck. And it works very well with Spitemare and Glory of Warfare.

I also don't think building the deck around Searing Meditation would be good. The deck is very mana intensive, and there aren't that many sources of life gain. Without Soul Warden, I'm skeptical.

I don't think it would be too good as it was in March to War, but I could be good enough in a less aggro build as a late game trick, specially with Firemane Angel or Balefire Liege.

Regarding Volcanic Fallout and Fault Line...yeah, they do work very well with those cards.  And they are really good cards for multiplayer.  But they're not good for a fast aggro version of this deck, and there are more than ten cards we can all name that really should go in the deck first.  Still, if either of these did make the cut, I wouldn't be upset about it at all because they are that good.

Regarding Searing Meditation...there aren't as many consistent ways to gain life with this deck as there were in MtW.  Even so, hopefully some of the new cards will allow you to gain life (a second Balefire Liege, a fourth Lightning Helix, and so on) to really play off of that synergy.  There come plenty of times in the mid- or late-game where having two extra mana open is common.  Having one or two Meditations means you don't oversaturate your deck, but you can still really benefit from good cards you're already playing.  Three burn from a Helix becomes five, Balefire Liege allows you to now burn creatures as well, and as Brodo mentioned, Firemane Angel becomes a house.  It would work very well in control builds, and even could find a home in some of the aggro ones.
Regarding Volcanic Fallout and Fault Line...yeah, they do work very well with those cards.  And they are really good cards for multiplayer.  But they're not good for a fast aggro version of this deck, and there are more than ten cards we can all name that really should go in the deck first.  Still, if either of these did make the cut, I wouldn't be upset about it at all because they are that good.

Why you want a sweeper for a fast aggro deck? People, myself included, were suggesting sweepers as options for the control lists. But if you still want a sweeper for your aggro deck for whatever reasons, they are still better than DoJ, since you have control, even if its only a little, of what lives and what dies. But, if the latter is the case, Martial Coup still is the better option.

2 x Searing Meditation

2 x Duergar Hedge-Mage

2 x Battlegate Mimic

Warning!

I guess I didn't write clear enough. Cards with 2x or more will be counted only as a single card, so whoever post in this format is losing avaible slots to vote for other cards.

You are free to change the list of your post as many times as you want until the end of time allotted.

Please don't answer this post. It will be deleted briefly.

Thanks for the heads-up; I edited my list in the OT accordingly.  Searing Meditation isn't as good as a one-of, so I'd rather have Intimidation Bolt if that's the case.  One of the Duergar Hedge-Mages is now an Orim's Thunder, and both Balefire Liege and Nobilis of War are on my list.

Because we are allowed to change our minds, I have made a couple of changes. I swapped Desolation Giant and Moonhold out for a couple of cards that are more aggressive; Hero of Oxid Ridge and Plated Geopede. Someone made a good point about Desolation Giant not being the best sweeper and this deck really doesn't need sweepers, and Moonhold just seemed so cautious and unnecesary. So I added Hero of Oxid Ridge because hasted battle cry is awesome, and I thought Plated Geopede would be fun and with the help of an Expanse you could have a 5/5 first striker on turn three.

"Lif is too short."

A lot of people are asking for 2x Balefire Liege. Am I the only one that thinks that would be too much for the deck? I think out of all the cards being suggested, that addition needs serious evaluation.
A lot of people are asking for 2x Balefire Liege. Am I the only one that thinks that would be too much for the deck? I think out of all the cards being suggested, that addition needs serious evaluation.

Yeah, it would be pretty insane. Can you imagine having two of these out at the same time!?!

no, i agree. i've been meaning to change my vote for a little while.

yes, really. It's a great utility card. +2 power is massive when you consider firt strike, but the biggest boon is the double life for whatever you enchant -- perfect on a liege, but great on spitemare, or any of your other fatties. It can also be used aggressively, e.g. to get a T2 3/3 fist striker, or a T3 3/4 doublestriker, that returns from the grave (e.g. to later be enchanted with a scourge). So yeah, it's a good candidate for promo.
Just updating the card count.

54 card options until now.

Top cards:

Cerodon Yearling
Duergar Hedge-Mage
Figure of Destiny
Lightning Helix
Brion Stoutarm
Balefire Liege

yes, really. It's a great utility card. +2 power is massive when you consider firt strike, but the biggest boon is the double life for whatever you enchant -- perfect on a liege, but great on spitemare, or any of your other fatties. It can also be used aggressively, e.g. to get a T2 3/3 fist striker, or a T3 3/4 doublestriker, that returns from the grave (e.g. to later be enchanted with a scourge). So yeah, it's a good candidate for promo.

Fair enough, and well explained.  I still think the other cards people are mentioning that address glaring weaknesses with the deck should come first, but you make a good case.

Two Baleflire Lieges in the deck wouldn't break it.  Your odds of getting both out and having their cumulative abilities immediately change the game isn't exactly high, especially with all of the permission and removal in this format.  The chances of this are worth having a bit more consistency in this deck.

Fair enough, and well explained.  I still think the other cards people are mentioning that address glaring weaknesses with the deck should come first, but you make a good case.

Two Baleflire Lieges in the deck wouldn't break it.  Your odds of getting both out and having their cumulative abilities immediately change the game isn't exactly high, especially with all of the permission and removal in this format.  The chances of this are worth having a bit more consistency in this deck.

That's just it though. When almost every card in the deck makes a 6 life difference with Balefire Liege in play, I think the Liege is too good to be consistant. Especially with all the 2-3cmc cards people are proposing.

It's not the same as Murkfiend Liege for example, where it's second ability has little to no effect. A second copy of that would make SaS more consistant. Balefire Liege does so much more, probably than any other liege in the game. It makes every spell cast a threat. I personally don't think it should be something you expect to see every game.

Yes, but as good as that is, you won't consistently see the pair in action.  This deck has minimal ways to draw cards, like Mentor of the Meek, which ironically, Balefire Liege helps further limit.  It also doesn't affect board position like Deathbringer Liege, though that life swing at least makes up for it.

It gives the deck more reach against faster aggro by giving you more chances to keep pace or better, and it gives you another way to outlast some hearty beaters you have a hard time stopping already.  It gives the deck more consistency, and if you do happen to get both while you have a good presence on the board and a few cards in hand, and your opponent has no answers, you should be winning the game.
Yes, but as good as that is, you won't consistently see the pair in action.  This deck has minimal ways to draw cards, like Mentor of the Meek, which ironically, Balefire Liege helps further limit.  It also doesn't affect board position like Deathbringer Liege, though that life swing at least makes up for it.

I'm not talking about having both in play. Everything I said was about having one in play. Almost every spell in the deck (with these proposed additions) will make a difference of 6 life (they lose 3 you gain 3) in addition to the spell itself.

I know how ridiculous it would be with both in play, that doesn't need mentioning. I'm talking about being able to consistantly expect to see one in play.
I'm inclined to think there shouldn't be extra copies of cards that go in literally every deck. There are ways to improve Act of War's competitiveness without reducing deck diversity, which is exactly what a second Balefire Liege, fourth Lightning Helix, and Figure of Destiny would do.
So, then, we should not ask for cards that would clearly make the deck more competitve?

Everyone would include those cards, because they are good, and the deck would really benefit from them.

Or should we be complaining that GM got a full playset of four Demigod of Revenge because that's too many, and that everyone plays them all?

Or that SS gets two copies of both Pernicious Deed and Maelstrom Pulse?

Look man, I'm all for diversity.  Even with those cards, there are still several ways you could build the deck competitvely.  But the fact (or overwhelming opinion) is that both of the new decks from the deck pack have some pretty big weaknesses, and most of it is because of the lack of things that made sense to include.
Some power is good, but I think it was a response to the possibility of everyone looking for 10 promos  that would reach auto-include status, which is practically untrue of all the other promo cards in the game so far. Where has been this deck's Worldfire or Hellcarver Demon from the community?

(I did see a Razia's Purification though that made me smile) 
Well, even if some miracle happens (PLEASE) and the deck packs get beefed up, I'm guessing Wizards would mess with the lists a bit and include some (stink)bombs.  So long as that means we get a few more usable cards, whaaaaaatever.
Power + Diversity the WotC way:
1x Sun Titan
1x Inferno Titan

Let's make more sense.

Instead of using an illogical format of 1 x cardname, let's do a list format, like this:

1. cardname
10. cardname

This way, there's no confusion as to what the numbers are, and no one is typing out "1 x" for no clear reason. 
Let's make more sense.

Instead of using an illogical format of 1 x cardname, let's do a list format, like this:

1. cardname
10. cardname

This way, there's no confusion as to what the numbers are, and no one is typing out "1 x" for no clear reason. 

If you're using [ deck ] instead of [ c ] for every card, you have to use the "1x".

I recently won a game with AoW in which I never attacked and the only damage I did to my opponent was with Balefire Liege. I think a second one would make this deck consistently over powered. That is why I didn't nominate it in my list. In fact, I don't think I included any cards that are already in the deck, hehe.

"Lif is too short."

Let's make more sense.

1. cardname
10. cardname

If you're using [ deck ] instead of [ c ] for every card, you have to use the "1x".

Yeah, I used the [ deck ] method, it's much faster and easier.

"Lif is too short."

If you won solely on the back of a Balefire Liege, and did no other damage to your opponents besides that from him, you need to play better opponents before you declare something to be overpowered.

Why would we use a [ deck ]  format for extra cards added to a deck that are not yet a part of it?  Either raw names, or 1 x format make little sense in this regard, as one could simply do a talley count either way.  With a 1-10 format, there's no confusion over how many copies to list, and your ten are very easily recognized. 
If you won solely on the back of a Balefire Liege, and did no other damage to your opponents besides that from him, you need to play better opponents before you declare something to be overpowered.

You're saying it's impossible to win against a good opponent when you're attaching a Lightning Helix to almost every spell you cast?
Sign In to post comments