Builder's Block

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just don't know what to do. It is new EDH deck time. I have no budget limit cuz proxies.

I've already built:

Doran, the Tough Guy
Arcanis, the Omniscience.dec
Ob Nob
Cao Cao, Lord of Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
Urabrask fast guys
Vorinclex, mana mana mana
Jaya Ballard, Weak Mage
Ulamog, the Infinite Hater
Darien, King of Soul Sisters
Isperia meets Drogskol Reaver
Kresh Greater Good
Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Ishan's Freakin' Shade
Lorthos, the Freshmaker
Tomorrow, Azami's Toolbox
Glissa, the Dredger
The Mimeoblaster

Honestly that's not all of them. But I forgot a bunch. I need some inspiration here. I thought about Captain Sisay but I don't like the direction I'm so tempted to go with that. I wanted to do Damia, Sage of Rats a while back but for some reason I've lost all interest in playing that deck.

My solution:

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE COMMANDER AND CONVINCE ME TO PLAY IT. I'LL REWARD THE WINNER BY IMMORTALIZING THEM IN MY SIGNATURE... LOL 
Nin, the Pain Artist (a.k.a. Nin, the Pain in the Arse) - what's yours is mine shenanigans.  Act of Treason a creature, attack and deal damage, then kill it with Nin and draw a bunch of cards.  Also run permanent gain-contol-of spells (Confiscate, Blatant Thievery), sac outlets (Altar of Dementia, Ashnod's Altar, High Market), and mana rocks to get you going.  You don't want regular boardwipe - the deck runs out of steam if you have nothing to steal.  Instead, mass bounce is key (Evacuation, Devastation Tide, Kederekt Leviathan) - you want them to have to recast their creatures one or two at a time.  Stuffy Doll is hilarious when combo'd with Nin, as is Vicious Shadows.

Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer - I wanted to make a mono-red deck for the challenge of it.  Instead, it's more a red artifact deck, but this deck has some very good card draw engines.  Make sure you run things that will give you artifact token creatures (Thopter Assembly, Myr Battlesphere) for sac fodder.  You can also run some cards that you can probably find in people's "junk" trade binders.  Spine of Ish Sah is a powerhouse in this deck, as is Ichor Wellspring.  Finally, you can also run artifacts your probably would never fit into other decks because they're to fragile, like Eternity Vessel, Prototype Portal (getting an Ichor Wellspring on it, and you have one of the best card draw engines around), Platinum Angel, etc.

Rubinia Soulsinger - A Bant blink deck, running the usuals (Stonehorn Dignitary, Duplicant, Deadeye Navigator), but with green's mana ramp (Ondu Giant, for example) and big creatures (Avenger of Zendikar, Craterhoof Behemoth).
This is my best deck, and also my most consistant.  You can get almost every effect in the game on an ETB creature in these colours - mana ramp (Solemn Simulacrum, Farhaven Elf), graveyard hate (Loaming Shaman), removal (Phyrexian Ingester), card draw (Mulldrifter, Regal Force), recursion (Reveillark, Mnemonic Wall, Eternal Witness, Deadwood Treefolk), hell, you can even get fog effects (Knight-Captain of Eos.  Throw in the multitude of Blinkers (Venser, the Sojourner, Conjurer's Closet, Mistmeadow Witch, the dozen or so instant/sorceries (Ghostway, especially - fun if you have a Mnemonic Wall or Eternal Witness in play) in the game), and you can dial-up the exact effect you need, when you need it.
Also, effects like Tooth and Nail, Defense of the Heart, and Genesis Wave (especially) are deadly.  Not only do you get two (or more) creatures at once into play, you also get all of their ETB abilities, at once.
That means you could tutor-into-play Avenger of Zendikar and Craterhoof Behemoth at the same time, stack their ETB abilities, and swing for game.  I've won this way more than a few times.  The game also gets fun when you can blink either of them several times a turn.
As far as having Rubinia Soulsinger as a general, she's mostly there for support.  With the wording of the Avacyn Restored blinks, though, you can gain control of an opponent's creature with Rubinia, blink it, then you can keep that creature and untap with Rubinia to do it again next turn.  Still, it's best to blink your own creatures, but having that as an alternate winning strategy isn't a bad way to go if you're stalled somehow.
Since budget isn't an issue, I'd go with sharuum. You get to use the most badass old cards....if it's good in vintage, it probably goes in sharuum. Mishra's workshop? Get in there.
Sygg, River Cutthroat gets my vote. A turn 2 general is always cool. Everyone underestimates him until you just start drawing cards every turn. I have mine built as U/B control and my list is on here.

I also love my Ob Nob deck, but you already have one of those....
@Ty. Thanks for the assistance. All great suggestions, most interested in Slobad.

@Tremor. That's considerable, plus Esper is where it's at. 

@DMD. A buddy of mine already runs Sygg :/

I'll wait a few days for more possible suggestions before I get to building.

Thanks all. 
Lol@TheMimeoblaster (I'm hazarding a guess at what I know as the Lord of Triskelion combo).

About my general, Mr. Mime. He is epic for many reasons. Firstly, he's not just A Mimeoplasm, he's THE Mimeoplasm placing a special uniqueness about him, in the sense that there is no other (by that sense, he fully embodies the H in EDH).

Another reason he is epic, is the colors he runs are completely broken. BUG makes for excellent deckbuilding. I mean you can ramp, you can destroy all the creatures, draw all the cards, etc etc. But I don't find him to be just a "good stuff deck". If I wanted that, I'd run Damia.

Following up on the above, he runs the cheapest colors (to me) but wants a semi-build around me. I personally made mine with a dredge theme. So despite the best 3-colors, I made it self-mill.

There's also all the creatures he can copy. Like who runs Jodah's Avenger and Death's Shadow in the same deck? My Mimeoplasm sure does =D.

There's also something about finding great card combos outside of him, like self target Traumatize into Living Death. Or Fauna Shaman + Golgari Grave-Troll.

/end opening statement

Besides your idea for The Mimeoblaster, I'm interested in Jaya Ballard. Cheers!
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
My favorite deck at the moment is Lord of Tresserhorn.  His obvious downside is what made the deck a fun challenge to build.  In the end, I chose to add a lot of creatures with cool death triggers, token generators etc.  He's just a fun commander to build around, and he's not popular.  I have yet to see anyone else with a Tressy deck, and the narcissist in me likes that.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

One friend tried tresserhorn but couldn't make it work. Ive always wanted to, but I already have a grixis deck and don't like repeating colors.

3DH4LIF3

One friend tried tresserhorn but couldn't make it work. Ive always wanted to, but I already have a grixis deck and don't like repeating colors.

It took me a long time, a lot of brainstorming, and a lot of single-buying to get that deck to work, but it's so much fun to play.  I totally agree on not repeating colors, too.  It was down to Tressy or Thrax, and I wanted a cool, challenging build with a seldom-seen general.  It's still a work in progress, but...aren't they all?

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

how about oona, queen of the fae she's a very versitile general being successful in either mono u or b builds as well as an alt win con with b/u control decks. solid mana sink if infinate mana combos are ur thing, and has decent stats for beating face if your opponent happens to like ivory masks. 
My favorite is my Talrand, Sky Summoner mono-blue control.  I have an old list around here somewhere but I've made changes since I last updated the thread.  It's still the same idea, lots of cheap draw/digging power, counterspells, and bounce to make drakes, very few actual creatures.  A couple ways to pump the drakes and a few bounce spells clears the way for an army of fliers.

I've been interested in building Isamaru, Hound of Konda as well.  Always get your Commander out on turn 1, then play cheap auras and equipment to go for the quickest 21 general damage you can get.
My Wave Oath Eureka Bruna list with Angus is my most ambitious project, yet.  Not in value of cards, nor in combo, but in consistency.  My suggestion is find a general, settle on a theme and then decide your modus operandi.  I used Angus because he is a pseudo-disruption.  I still haven't been able to test it yet, as I'm missing like almost all of the common enchantments and auras.
Sign In to post comments