Boros Burn

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've played RDW on and off for the last 12 years so I have most of the staples, I just need to figure out which are best. Lands are as good as I've got. I'm slowly getting more.
1cc:
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
2 spark elemental Not sure about this guy.
4 rift bolt

2cc:
4 Hellspark elemental
4 lightning helix Buys just a little extra time vs. Aggro.
4 magma jet Gets me past unneeded lands
3 incinerate Is there something better? Char?

3cc:
3 flame Javalin
4 molten rain Who doesn't play nonbasics? Also, buys an extra turn vs some combos.
3 slagstorm
1 flamebreak Doesn't get fliers.

Land:
3 sacred Foundry
3 clifftop retreat
3 Arid mesa
1 Scalding Tarn
3 Marsh flats
5 Mountains
2 plains

Side:
2 silence
3 Flamebreak
1 Pyroclasm
4 mindbreak trap
4 path to exile

I've playtested vs a friends G/U Fairies/Goyf with good results.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I highly recommend playing it against actual decks in the format to see if it's better than the regular Mono-Red Burn or B/R Burn decks.  G/U Goyf/Fae isn't a deck.  Proxy up Jund, Affinity and something like Birthing Pod combo and test against those decks.  Once it appears the deck is viable, add in more decks to the testing gauntlet.

I don't like any of the 3 CMC spells.  They're all just bad.  You never want to play a spell that only hits creatures (some decks don't play them).  LD is fine, but only when it absolutely destroys the opponent, like Sowing Salt against Tron.

Instead of those 11 cards, you should be playing these:
4x Goblin Guide
2x Flames of the Blood Hand
4x Searing Blaze
3x Shard Volley

Spark Elemental is terrible, as is Incinerate.  They're just too little of an effect.  Instead, play a combination of Keldon Marauders, Grim Lavamancer or Vexing Devil.

Do not play any basic Plains at all.  You can't keep a hand with a Plains in it ever and it's a terrible draw.

Your sideboard is pretty aweful too.  Silence is completely useless for you because it doesn't protect a combo.  Path to Exile isn't great because you shouldn't be relying on your creatures doing more than a few points of damage.  Flamebreak is just terrible and doesn't kill anything that matters.

I would play something like this for a sideboard:

3x Rest in Peace
3x Blood Moon (because some decks simply cannot beat it)
2x Ethersworn Canonist (better than Trap becase it beats down too)
2x Everlasting Torment
3x Combust (if there's a lot of Kiki-Jiki combo in your metagame)
2x Smash to Smithereens
If you want to play land destruction go for 4 Flagstones of Trokair + Boom Bust. Otherwise 4 Grim Lavamancers are a MUST. I would also play 4 Arid Mesa + 2 Marsh FLats + 2 Scalding Tarn. Searing Blaze is amazing at the moment.
4 Lavamancers is absolutely terrible.  You never want to see more than one a game because you often can't find enough fuel to make two of them live at the same time.  3 is absolutely the correct number to run.