Basic initiative question

This question must be answered somewhere, but I've been stuck on it for about two hours now. I recently purchased the Star Wars Saga RPG to play with my sons, and I'd like to run through combat once or twice before I start.
I created a couple level 1 jedi, and am going to have them fight against a couple Clone Troopers (even though the Clone Troopers are L2, I thought my guys could start out with surprise, and I'll just see how it goes.)
Step 1 is to roll for initiative. As far as I can tell, I just roll a d20 for each character. However, it says to then add Initiative Check Modifiers, but doesn't say what that could possibly be. In one part of the rules I seem to remember it saying Dexterity was an initiative modifier, but the Dexterity section says stealth, attack, defense, piloting, etc. but nothing about Initiative. So I'm guessing my guys don't have anything to increase their initiative, but the Clone Trooper says Init +9. Does that mean a straight up 9 roll, or do I add 9 to their rolls? Seems a bit unfair...
And finally, without reading much about it, I gave each of my jedi the Initiative Skill. Looking at it more closely now, it doesn't do anything for my characters except allow them to have a 10 roll (only under certain circumstances.) If I have to defeat a lowly Clone Trooper by 9, this seems pretty useless as well.
I would love an answer to my question. I would also love to find a really basic FAQ, or better yet a couple battles described in basic detail in what the players are rolling for, what modifiers are added, etc. Unfortunately I don't have access to a live human who can walk me through these things once or twice until I get the hang of them.
Thanks!
First Off:  Initiative is a skill check.  It's affected by your dexterity modifier+half your level+trained bonus(if trained)+Skill focus bonus(If they have it).

A +9 Init means you roll a d20 and add 9.  Init+#=1d20+#

Being trained in the skill grants a +5 bonus, and skill focus grants another +5 bonus.

The skill is described on page 68 of the Core rules (at least on mine) in the skills section.

A Surprise Round happens when one or more of the people involved in the battle is unaware of the other.  A failed perception vs Stealth for example on an ambush.  Those aware of the enemy are allowed to act in the Surprise Round, those who are not aware are not.  Once this round ends, you use the normal initiative order for all people, while in the surprise round, you use the Initiative order of those who are aware of the enemy.

Right in the beginning of the book is an example surprise round and shows some of the things that are to be rolled in certain sitations.

Initiative is a skill. So when you roll Initiative, you're making a skill check. How to make skill checks are described in Core Rulebook page 58.

As Zilfallion mentioned, Initiative check modifier is calculated this way:

= dexterity modifier + half your level + 5 if trained + 5 if Skill focus

Being trained in a skill adds +5 to your skill check modifier.

If you have more questions, just ask. And welcome to the boards!

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Thank you both, I am very impressed by the speed of response, especially on Thanksgiving! Cheers!
Thank you both, I am very impressed by the speed of response, especially on Thanksgiving! Cheers!

That's one of those Holiday's I'm not a big supporter of except for the good.  Got to love those classic desserts.  Chocolate Pie, Coconut cream Pie, Cake armored in chocolate strong enough to stop a knife.

Anyways, you're welcome.  I try to help when I can.  My Responses are usually half gibberish though.
Mmmmmm... Coconut cream pie... I agree, though. Halloween's the best holiday in my opinion.
Mmmmmm... Coconut cream pie... I agree, though. Halloween's the best holiday in my opinion.

My girlfriend thinks the same thing. I don't see the appeal. Can you explain? This is 100% curiousity.
RIP Kit Fisto When your using CL 18 Stormtroopers, it might be time to roll up a new campaign. I think I may be the last person on the planet who doesn't think zombies are the coolest things ever... [spoiler]I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
[\spoiler]
Many of us are Roleplayers are heart, and the oppritunity to dress up in crazy costumes, not have people stare at you like you're crazy(I actually like it when people think I'm crazy), and get free candy.  What's there not to like?  A good Trick-or-Treater should be able to bring in twice as much candy as iis handed out at a single house, if you've got a friend helping, you've made a great investment.

Or are we taking about coconut cream pie?  Coconut is one of those things you either like or dislike.  I love it.
Many of us are Roleplayers are heart, and the oppritunity to dress up in crazy costumes, not have people stare at you like you're crazy(I actually like it when people think I'm crazy), and get free candy.  What's there not to like?  A good Trick-or-Treater should be able to bring in twice as much candy as iis handed out at a single house, if you've got a friend helping, you've made a great investment.

Or are we taking about coconut cream pie?  Coconut is one of those things you either like or dislike.  I love it.

Oops. I was talking about Halloween. The odd part is, she doesn't play rpgs... Much anyway. But she is literally addicted to chocolate, so its probably the candy.

EDIT: Oops, I mean "it's". Gotta keep that grammer good.
RIP Kit Fisto When your using CL 18 Stormtroopers, it might be time to roll up a new campaign. I think I may be the last person on the planet who doesn't think zombies are the coolest things ever... [spoiler]I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
[\spoiler]
Sign In to post comments