Haven't been playing long, would love opinions!

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've only been playing for a little while and I was originally trying to make a u/r but white somehow got in there... Just looking for help!

Creatures

Guttersnipe x4

Talrand x3

Spells

Think Twice x4
Pillar of flame x4
Searing Spear x4
Feeling of Dread x4
Syncopate x4
Faithless looting x4

Lands
Sulfar falls x4
Steam vents x4
Hallowed fountain x4
Clifftop retreat x4
Islands x4
Mountains x3
Plains x2

So please any and all advice!                           
My first bit of advice would be to get rid of that white. It's talking to your islands and mountains, and making them feel bad about themselves.

Seriously, it's not doing a whole lot for you. You're only using it on feeling of dread, which doesn't appear to be...anything for you.

Faithless looting is also pretty terribad here. There's nothing you really WANT in your graveyard, so your pretty much always throwing away live cards. Even discarding flashback stuff feels weak.

-4 feeling of dread
-4 faithless looting

Another thing: you have 25 lands. Thats.....a lot. A lot lot. Cut at least a couple.

-4 clifftop retreat
-4 hallowed fountain
-2 plains
+4 mountain
+4 island

If you have a sizable budget, a playset of snapcaster mage is a pretty obvious choice here. Mizzium skin is pretty good, as it helps counter anything targeting your creatures, which are pretty important for you here. Thoughtflare or Jace, architect of thought are good draw to replace the faithless looting. 
I've only been playing for a little while and I was originally trying to make a u/r but white somehow got in there... Just looking for help!

To support autocard links, which makes it much easier for other to provide feedback, use [deck] and [/deck] around your deck listl. This requires putting the numbers before the card names, like this:

(etc.)

Also, use the full card name to support the autocard feature.

Another thing: you have 25 lands. Thats.....a lot. A lot lot. Cut at least a couple.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Agreed. 23 lands is far too few for a deck like this. I'd say 24 as a minimum, and I oculd even see 25. This sort of deck wants to use all of it's mana, every turn, and can make stronger plays if you have more lands out.
I'll second cutting white and Looting from the list.
And I'd try Talrand's Invocation and Izzet Charm in their place.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Desperate Ravings is better than Faithless Looting in a list like this, if you choose. I play a similar list (sans Talrand; haven't picked any up yet) and agree that Mizzium Skin is a very good card for it--the deck can get shut down easy if your creatures are answered before they do anything. I run 4x Goblin Electromancer as well, though I may cut some (it gives you something to do on turn 2 other than counterspell). I find the +0/+1 of Mizzium Skin is extremely relevant with all the 2/2s this archetype tends to run; allows you to combat trick zombies and RDW to death.

Try to include up to four Izzet Charm. It's a very good card. -2 Syncopate and -2 Pillar/Spear is a good place to start to fit those in.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Hey thanks for all the advice guys. The white is out becuase...well it honestly shouldn't have been there in the first place. New list looks a little something like this. I want to take this to an FNM next Friday I have free and I feel like I'm going to need an answer for things like Thragtusk. Maybe Syncopates/Dissapaits in the SB?

I would deinitely run counters over electromancers. Especially with 25 lands.

Also, you could consider going with some Desperate Ravings or Faithless Looting for card draw. The best part is that both those spells have flashback, which, needless to say, synergises well with Guttersnipe/Talrand, Sky Summoner.

Lastly, you might want to take a look at Artful Dodge.
There are a bunch of typos in your deck list (some caused by the forums' desire to put in &nbsp tags), which makes it hard to follow. Here is a corrected list:

My one comment is that I don't see the need for 25 land. You can safely drop to 24.
I'd cut the Electromancers: They only help half the spells in your deck. It's a cool card, but I'm not sure it's what your deck wants...

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Ok I've stumbled into a copy of Runechanters Pike which I forgot existed and I felt it fit here pretty well. What do you guys think?

4 mizzium skin might be overkill. I'd cut one or two.

I don't like wild guess, although that's really just a personal preferance. I'd really suggest going with desperate ravings instead (easier to cast in a 2 color deck, instant, has flashback , better synergy with talrand/ guttersnipe, etc, etc).

Also, is talrand's evocation working out for you? Seems like it's a bit on the expensive side.
I agree desperate ravings has more synergy with snipe and talrand but my main concern is the "at random" bit. Am I just being overly cautious? Cutting a few skins for sure, though I'm not sure what to put in their place. Talrands invocation has been doing a lot of work actually. The expense has proven to be a bit problematic at times, but honestly it's saved a few games. That said I could see cutting it to 3 if I found another Pike as I really love the synergy it has with the deck.
The "at random" discard can be trouble, but the flashback more than makes up for it.  Just remember to try and play it with as full a hand as possible, to minimize the chance of you discarding something important. This means holding lands in your hand once you have more than enough in play, and making sure to max out your hand size with any think twice in the yard before casting it.

Alternatively, you can try thoughtflare, which is much lower risk with the discard, but more expensive and without the flashback to trigger talrand/ sniper.

Possible cards to replace the skins with:

Cyclonic rift
Mizzium Mortars
Dissipate
Cackling counterpart <- a neat trick. It sticking on a guttersnipe wins the game.
The "at random" discard can be trouble, but the flashback more than makes up for it.  Just remember to try and play it with as full a hand as possible, to minimize the chance of you discarding something important. This means holding lands in your hand once you have more than enough in play, and making sure to max out your hand size with any think twice in the yard before casting it.

Alternatively, you can try thoughtflare, which is much lower risk with the discard, but more expensive and without the flashback to trigger talrand/ sniper.

Possible cards to replace the skins with:

Cyclonic rift
Mizzium Mortars
Dissipate
Cackling counterpart

I support Cackling Counterpart as a one/two-of (leaning towards the former). Does crazy things on Electromancer/Guttersnipe/Talrand. Flashback is a bonus, even if expensive.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Sign In to post comments