Simple module idea: Race Matters vs. Class Matters

This is a simple idea for a pair of simple modules that just occurred to me, so I thought that I would share. D&D Next is doing something new with ability score bonuses in that they they are no longer handed out in two and in that they are now also handing it out by class rather than just by race. What this creates a unique opportunity for modules to do is create varying levels in different games of how race and class are intended to interact with one another.

The default, as we've seen it, is for race to grant a +1 bonus to one ability score and for class to grant a +1 bonus to one ability score. This is unique in terms of how D&D has handled ability score modifiers at first level in that it places one's learning and training (class) on equal ground as one's innate predispositions (race) when it comes to determining what one's final abilities will look like.

Module 1: Race Matters
This module is for groups and games that want to make race selection more important. Maybe you particularly like the idea that innate talent is what makes a character capable and has a stronger hand in determining their life's path.
If you use this module, then your class does not give you an ability score bonus. Instead, the ability score bonus granted by your sub/race increases by 1.
Humans are unaffected by this module.

Module 2: Class Matters
This module is for groups and games that want to make class selection more important. Maybe you particularly like the idea that a character's choices and training are what makes a character capable and have a stronger hand in determining their life's path.
If you use this module, then your race does not give you an ability score bonus. Instead, your class gives you an additional +1 bonus to any of its associated ability scores (you can increase one score by 2 or two scores by 1).
Humans are unaffected by this module.

Yeah, Humans work out a little bit wonky because of their broken ability scores, but I don't feel like being creative enough right now to fix it, and I definitely don't want these modules to be anything other than simple. Besides, it's more the general idea that I want to be considered rather than the specific mechanical detail.

So what do you think? With these modules available, each game can decide exactly how they want race and class to interact. If they want race and class to form synnergistic pairs, then they can go with the default. If they want play to tradition and have race play a bigger role in character creation, then they can say that Race Matters. And, if they want the diversity afforded by making all race-class combination equally viable, then they can say that Class Matters. Each of these possibilities has its own unique merits, and I'd be interested in allowing them all the chance to play out depending on group and game preferences.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
That's a pretty cool idea for a module. It attempts to appease both camps and is simple to implement.

Agreed that the human gets a bit shafted here. I'm not sure of the solution, though.

Please introduce yourself to the new D&D 5e forums in this very friendly thread started by Pukunui!

Make 5e Saving Throws better using Ramzour's Six Ability Save System!

Lost Mine of Phandelver: || Problems and Ideas with the adventure ||  Finding the Ghost of Neverwinter Wood ||

Giving classes iconic abilities that don't break the game: Ramzour's Class Defining Ability system.

Rules for a simple non-XP based leveling up system, using the Proficiency Bonus

Hmm, I'm surprised more people didn't come tell me that this is a terrible idea and that I should go away forever, as is the norm.
I will try bumping to see what happens.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Sounds like a fine module to me.  Since I don't think race should matter that much, I just wouldn't use that one.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
The worst I can say about this idea is that the thread is poorly named.  To say that race is where you get your various +1 to strength or charisma does not really diminish the importance of class very much.  Race (or class, if you're using that option) is still much, much less important than initial ability score allocation.

The metagame is not the game.

I can't help thinking it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.  Do I care whether my +2 dex came 1 from rogue and 1 from elf, or both from elf, or both from rogue?  Or indeed, whether my 16 STR 15 CON came from 14+2 for race and 15, or 14+2 for class and 15, or 15 + 1 for class and 14 + 1 for race?  I can't see why I should, and I'm pretty sure 99% of characters are going to end up with exactly the same attributes either way given all those ways of getting there.  Of course, taken to its logical conclusion, this argument shows that ability mods are crappy way of making race matter in the first place, but then many of us already thought that.  
I once pondered an idea of stronger classes and race.

I could see a paragon race module.

All Racial ability score adjustments double.
All raical weapon training move the dice 2 steps.
Some kind of favored class thing.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

These are fine module ideas, but they do not consider the groups that wnat race and class to both have less of an impact.  This doesn't reflect poorly on the idea, but suggests more work might need to be done to appease a third party.