Rifts 4e Saga

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was looking online for rifts info and images for A M&M campaign conversion i'm working on. I came across this persons obsidianportal page for a D&D 4e saga hybrid rules set at this link.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/rifts-e... I'm still reading it, looks interesting and doable. I'm sure it has some balance issues being Rifts and all, but it looks to be a good effort on his part and worth a look. I've ran both 4e and Starwars saga and I always wished they did the feat and talent 4e style frame work. Jumping back and forth between both campaigns got to a little confusing at times.

Anyways I was just wondering what other peoples thoughts on this guys atempt was. It shows promise that you can blend the 2 systems together for a modern/sci-fi campaign. Maybe even A fantasy game if your looking for A simpler rule set.
I hope Palladium games never finds it, they are known for sending cease-and-desists to people posting conversions of their settings to other rules (which is rather nuts in my opinion).
If no one did conversions of their stuff they would never sell any books. I never heard of anyone actualy playing rifts with their system ;)
If no one did conversions of their stuff they would never sell any books. I never heard of anyone actualy playing rifts with their system ;)

Which is why I think its a poor practice. 
 I never heard of anyone actualy playing rifts with their system

Stupendously enough, I'm actually playing in TWO Palladium system games (Rifts and Heroes Unlimited) along with two and a half 4E games (one is a mini-campaign we've run on the side when the DM needs a break), and am running a Mage the Ascension (i.e. OWoD, not NWoD), and a LUG Star Trek game.

Honestly? The Rifts Ultimate Edition mechanics (They FINALLY fixed ranged weapons/dodge into something useable for example) have been running better and been more fun for us these past months than D&DNext has been.

The key I think is that we all agreed to use an array (20, 18, 17, 15, 14, 13, 12, 10) in place of rolling for attributes and used 'half+1' for all other random die rolls (SDC, starting PPE, etc.) which helped everyone to feel that, if they were being gimped, it was by their choices and not crap die rolls. The other key was that we weren't jerks about our class choices (In Rifts everyone's a human or other SDC creature and the only guy with powered armor is using the lightest model available from the core book... and in HU there's not a mega-hero to be found).

For 30 year old mechanics, they're not THAT bad. The bigger indictment in all this is that our group finds them a step UP from D&DNext.
So
someone does play it, thats cool as long as your having fun its a good game system for you. But i didnt want to talk about Rifts since this is a d&d 4e forum. I just thought it was an interesting idea to blend 4e and saga talent trees together in order to streem line the game for a modern or sci fi campaign. I'm going to give this a try myself and see how it works. Just wondered if anyone else thought is was a good idea and had any input on this hybrid system.