Feats for Heroic Psion/Warlock?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been trying for awhile to put together a character that focuses on making Team Monster carry out her dirty work for her.  She stays back, moving between the shadows, first softening up her targets before unleashing powerful, mindbending effects that cause them to no longer recognize friend from foe.  And she then hands out save penalties to keep the target under her power.

I'm mostly happy with the power selection (the Warlock at-will still bugs me, and I can't put my finger on why), but I can't figure out what to do about feat selection.  The only two feats that get my attention beyond what I have are Improved Defenses and Leather Armor or Unarmored Agility.

Note that for the campaign I would be using her in, selections from Dragon are not allowed. 

PsiLock

PsiLock, level 10
Human, Psion/Warlock
Discipline Focus (Hybrid) Option: Telepathy Focus (Hybrid)
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Star Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Encounter Power
Hybrid Talent Option: Shadow Walk
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power  

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 19, WIS 10, CHA 19  

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 15, WIS 10, CHA 17    

AC: 21 Fort: 19 Ref: 23 Will: 23
HP: 61 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 15  

TRAINED SKILLS Arcana +14, Bluff +14, History +14, Streetwise +14  

UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +5, Athletics +4, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +6, Heal +5, Insight +5, Intimidate +9, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +9, Stealth +5, Thievery +5  

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Psion Feature: Send Thoughts
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Psion Attack 1: Mind Thrust (Bonus At-Will)
Psion Attack 1: Dishearten (Replaced at L3) 
Warlock Attack 1: Eyebite 
Warlock Attack 1: Dreadful Word 
Psion Attack 1: Telepathic Projection 
Warlock Utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Psion Attack 3: Betrayal (Replaces Dishearten)  
Warlock Attack 1: Decree of Khirad (D5 selection)
Psion Utility 2: Intellect Fortress (U6 selection)
Psion Attack 3: Crushing Turmoil (E7 selection)
Warlock Attack 5: Crown of Madness (D9 selection)
Psion Utility 10: Dimensional Shortcut  

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Crystal orb)
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Orb Expertise  

ITEMS
Crystal orb of Mental Dominion +2 x1
Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
Amulet of Protection +2 x1 
Not sure if your heart's set on the PsiLock combo, but if not may I suggest a straight up Enchanter? Gnome Enchanter (Red Wiz theme) or even a Gnome Enchanter/Illusionist with one of the other wizardly themes would probably work nicer.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Or a psion|enchanter.

Psions have lots of good "enemy attacks an enemy" powers.

Also, you want improved defense at some point.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I looked at Mage(Enchanter), but for some reason I stopped working on it.  Don't remember why...

Don't think I've ever seen the rules on Hybrid Mage(Enchanter).  What book is that from?
Straigth from my Psion handbook:  

Psion|Warlock. You hybrid with a Warlock because want an easy way to regain your power points, which the Psionic Scorn feat (DSCS) lets you do. Take the Sorcerer-King pact, spend your Hybrid Talent feat on getting your pact boon and spend another feat on Psionic Scorn. Now every time a target Cursed by you drops to zero HP, you regain a power point. With only 2 power points during levels 1-6, you're going to need it. But if you apply your Curse judiciously (Twofold Curse helps immensely here), you can be spamming augmented Disheartens and Betrayals all day long. Betrayal actually helps you trigger Psionic Scorn faster, so Entrancing Mystic is a good paragon path for you. Comes online at level 2, 1 if you're Human.

Might help.  
Also if you went Sorcerer King Mindbite Scorn.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Straigth from my Psion handbook...

Not sure how I missed that.  I've read through your handbook several times.  Thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT -- Wait a minute, now I see how I missed that.  CB isn't giving me the option of picking up the Pact Boon.  Yet another CB bug?
Straigth from my Psion handbook:  

Psion|Warlock. You hybrid with a Warlock because want an easy way to regain your power points, which the Psionic Scorn feat (DSCS) lets you do. Take the Sorcerer-King pact, spend your Hybrid Talent feat on getting your pact boon and spend another feat on Psionic Scorn. Now every time a target Cursed by you drops to zero HP, you regain a power point. With only 2 power points during levels 1-6, you're going to need it. But if you apply your Curse judiciously (Twofold Curse helps immensely here), you can be spamming augmented Disheartens and Betrayals all day long. Betrayal actually helps you trigger Psionic Scorn faster, so Entrancing Mystic is a good paragon path for you. Comes online at level 2, 1 if you're Human.

Might help.  

Also if you went Sorcerer King Mindbite Scorn.

Straigth from my Psion handbook...

Not sure how I missed that.  I've read through your handbook several times.  Thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT -- Wait a minute, now I see how I missed that.  CB isn't giving me the option of picking up the Pact Boon.  Yet another CB bug?

*Seconded for their suggestions.

Also, to your CB issue- it may be a bug, check with cust serv or whichever department handles the CB.

RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Wasn't a CB issue.  The fine print is that you can't select the Pact Boon unless your Warlock at-will matches the Pact.

Also, seems both of those talents are Dark Sun.  Doubt the DM will allow them as they would be "out of scope" to the campaign world.  Thanks for the suggestions though, being able to regain PP would be wonderful.

Dark Sun material is not in any way supposed to be limited to Dark Sun, except for maybe a very few side mechanics like arcane defiling and survival days.  Campaign-specific content is intended to be core content and available in any world - this a key design element of 4e.  Refluff and you'll be fine.
That text from my handbook is hidden inside a spoiler tag on the bottom of the multiclass & hybrid section. I can't blame you for missing it ;)

Matyr: I don't think Mindbite Scorn is a good pick, since he'll almost never deal curse damage. At least not if the focus is on using Psion at-wills.

For feats, consider taking Improved Initiative. Going first is awesome for a controller. Or look at a Shaman multiclass for easy combat advantage through Tome Expertise and an encounter heal with Mending Spirit.