Favourite Campaign Setting For D&DN?

85 posts / 0 new
Last post
It seems the Realms is going to be the default setting. What other settings/worlds do you like? As a general rule I do not like generic pseudo European type worlds (Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance etc) unless they are done very well which include the traditional Realms and Golarion. Even then I most likely will mine the campaign world for my own ideas. Also never liked Ravenloft that much. Back in the day our group tried to collect everycampaign settnig TSR printed an we managed to get most of them.

Anyway whats your personal favourite top 3 settings for any reason.

1. Darksun. Probably my favourite D&D game world of all time. Cannibalistic halflings, a world where evil hs already won, and the original race was halflings and not elves. 4th ed had a reasonably good conversion that was a reboot of the setting.

2. Spelljammer. Our group likes spaceships and piracy and we enjoy Star Wars RPG of various editions. Gnomes have hamster powered Spaceships!! How can you not love that? A little bit silly but I still have fond memories of this and a near mint boxed set.

3. Planescape. Never played PS but I really enjoyed reading the setting and it had some incredible art. Fluff to me is important along with art work. THe language was a bit annoying though. Berk.

1) FR
2) Homebrew
3) Middle Earth (If you count the time we played Rolemaster and MERP)

Others I found very interesting were:
James Bond
Twilight 2000
Vampire's modern setting
Dark Sun
and of course, the one and only:
Mall where Dawn of the Dead took place
Greyhawk is neat, mostly because I don't know that much about it.  I actually really like Eberron the setting, much much more than the actual rule implementations for it.  Planescape was great for a Sigil-based game, but once you start exploring the different planes, it could be hard to feel like your events had any significance whatsoever.

I always wanted to play in Dragonlance, but for some reason it always ends up being Forgotten Realms.  I'm really not a big fan of Forgotten Realms.
The metagame is not the game.
I'm good with FR and Eberron.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

The non-standard fantasy ones like spelljammer and dark sun.

Ravenloft is fun for shorter campaigns.  It get tiresome for longer campaigns.

Planescape is pretty good too, though the plane of morality is a bit off putting to me.

One that i want is a nautical/waterworld/one piece/pirate type setting.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Forgot about Eberron. That would be my 4th one I think.
1.) Eberron. I bought the campaign setting book way back on a whim and I haven't been disappointed. Such a great campaign setting, yet I've already heard from members of the forum that it shouldn't be included in the all inclusive edition. No idea why not. Dinosaurs, halflings riding dinosaurs, airships, magepunk, high tension intrigue, what's not to like?

2.) Dark Sun. Best setting that 4E did hands down. I want to see it again.

3.) Planescape. Never played it, not sure if it's my cup of tea, but I see a lot of people on this board talking about it, so why not? They seem to have a lot of fun with it, and I've been surprised by campaign settings before.

Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
It seems the Realms is going to be the default setting.

What makes you say that?

From the playtest materials it appears the goal is to use examples from many settings and mythologies, with the default creature flavor being a melange of traditional mythology, Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms.

At any rate, the campaign setting that Next is making me most want to dust off is Planescape. 
As far as official and fully fleshed out settings go, Eberron. I really want to see some more stuff for the Nentir Vale, though.
It seems the Realms is going to be the default setting.

What makes you say that?

From the playtest materials it appears the goal is to use examples from many settings and mythologies, with the default creature flavor being a melange of traditional mythology, Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms.

At any rate, the campaign setting that Next is making me most want to dust off is Planescape. 

I got the impression from an earlier announcement the realms is either going to be the default setting or the 1st one done. No big deal it was the 1st setting for 2nd,3rd, and 4th IIRC.
1) Dark Sun
2) Planescape
3) Gloomwraught (a new 4e setting)
4) Eberron  
1.) Eberron. I bought the campaign setting book way back on a whim and I haven't been disappointed. Such a great campaign setting, yet I've already heard from members of the forum that it shouldn't be included in the all inclusive edition. No idea why not. Dinosaurs, halflings riding dinosaurs, airships, magepunk, high tension intrigue, what's not to like?

Dinosaur riding halflings, might as well throw in some ninjas, robots, and pirates, I mean, I dig some of Eberron, but a lot of it comes off as that guy who says "Hey, check out my campaign world,, it so not like the others, see how cool I am, isn't it rad!"

Dinosaur riding halflings, might as well throw in some ninjas, robots, and pirates, I mean, I dig some of Eberron, but a lot of it comes off as that guy who says "Hey, check out my campaign world,, it so not like the others, see how cool I am, isn't it rad!"

Yeah, but

Yeah, but

Total, as I said, some of Eberron rocks, but some is a bit, things I would do when I was 13.

Yeah, but

Total, as I said, some of Eberron rocks, but some is a bit, things I would do when I was 13.

All of it is. It's D&D.  

Yeah, but

All of it is. It's D&D.  

"...there are many...subtle...levels..." *said like Venkman/Bill Murray in Ghostbusters 2*

Yeah, but

All of it is. It's D&D.  

"...there are many...subtle...levels..." *said like Venkman/Bill Murray in Ghostbusters 2*

Hmm.... I found something missing. New condition. Carpathian kitten loss.
1. Darksun
2. Planescape
3. FR 

Yeah, but

All of it is. It's D&D.  

Hmm.... I found something missing. New condition. Carpathian kitten loss.

Ha, nice!

And big shoulder look.

I forgot about Ravenloft!  It's great.  As for Eberron, I would definitely put it in the like category.  We had some fun adventuring there.  There was a dragon battle on an air ship which was quite rewarding.  However, I often felt this wierd juxtaposition while playing it, something akin to, why don't we have magical cannons and guns to fend off this stuff.  Some of it just seemed out of place.
I only buy one setting, Eberron. I'm even running my Next playtest in Eberron, using flavor where the mechanics don't yet exist.

Yeah, but

Top picture reminds me of firefly.

If I had my choice. Honestly, I'd like to have Planescape. I guess we would really need to see the comology.
I forgot about Ravenloft!  It's great.  

Ravenloft is somthing that could be released in steps.

put the general rules and moduals for ravenloft on the site for everybody to use.

the introduce the lore and background of each domain in adventures.
so you would have a booklet dedicated to 1 domain including a adventure in that domain.

and realease a new domain every 4 months or so.

As much as i love all the Settings published for D&D, the one i'd love to see most are those that collected the most dust and have been out of print for a long time:

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Ravenloft is somthing that could be released in steps.

Definitely, especially as it started as a module (adventure).

Popularity brought on one of the best boxed sets (D&D literature, period), ever. 
Yea, add Ravenloft to my list too. Love Ravenloft.
The litmus test for us is our FR campaign. If that works in 5e, we'll probably move the Greyhawk campaign to it, and maybe the homebrew world.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

Personal opinion...

The settings I love and what I think they can do for D&D Next...

Birthright - Package it with the nation running/kingdom building module.

Ravenloft - Package it with the "horror campaigns" module.

Dark Sun - Package it with the psionics module.

Forgotten Realms - This is coming along first, so it serves as the "example of classic fantasy setting."

Greyhawk - Another classic fantasy setting.

Mystara - Package it with the "high powered-fantasy module."

Eberron - This would be a great setting to release after Forgotten Realms as an example of alternative fantasy.

Dragonlance - Package it with the "romantic fantasy module."

Planescape - Package it with the "Manual of the Planes module."

Council of Wyrms - Package it with the "player character monsters module."

There's more but I'm out of time.  :P   

All around helpful simian

Personal opinion...

Forgotten Realms - This is coming along first, so it serves as the "example of classic fantasy setting."

Eberron - This would be a great setting to release after Forgotten Realms as an example of alternative fantasy.

While I can dig that, I don't see it as a good move to attach every new module to a campaign setting.
call me boring, but the only published settings i really care for are FR and dark sun.
call me boring, but the only published settings i really care for are FR and dark sun.

There was a myth going around back in the day that Dark Sun (Athas) is FR (Toril) in the future.

There was a myth going around back in the day that Dark Sun (Athas) is FR (Toril) in the future.

Maybe it is...
And when the Next Developers say we will be getting "all" of Forgotten Realms as the official setting
part of it WILL ACTUALLY BE DARK SUN!

Forgotten Realms

Birthright

1. homebrew
2. homebrew
3. homebrew
4. homebrew
5. home.... 

I heard that rumor, and it certainly would make for some interesting plotlines.

I'd love to see Dark Sun again, and wouldn't mind Dragonlance dusted off as well. Both are great low-magic campaign settings. I've played FR and Greyhawk out for the most part. Time for some new old blood

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.

I heard that rumor, and it certainly would make for some interesting plotlines.

I'd love to see Dark Sun again, and wouldn't mind Dragonlance dusted off as well. Both are great low-magic campaign settings. I've played FR and Greyhawk out for the most part. Time for some new old blood

Total, and for the Points of Light campaign, just after the Cataclysm, is ripe with PoL wonder.
Well, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, Greyhawk, and Eberron are top priorities for me.  (The Realms is, but that's confirmed...  My hope for shoving all PoL content into separate books still stands though)  I never really got into Dragonlance though.  I don't know why.  It's a great setting and I read the original stories (the only ones I got to) a while back and they were awesome.  I dunno, to each their own, I guess.

The Knights of W.T.F. may as well be ghosts, but the message still stays;

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
Personal opinion...

Come on monkey, where's Spelljammer?!

My two copper.
Come on monkey, where's Spelljammer?!

Total; but with that route, pretty much every race is open!

I do like my Giff. 
Forgotten Realms hands down should be the pick. I think that a few people seemed to believe that the advancement of time in the series for 4e was a sin, so perhaps they could do a bit of ret-conning what they've done in that might be good... Or fast forwarding even MORE might work. Heh. I know personally I'm not too fond of Mask being dead, but that's just me... 

As to another option? I'm not a fan of Eberron at all.... Ravenloft might be interesting but doesn't it belong to another company now? White Wolf I thought... on their Sword & Sorcery line...

I do really like Dragonlance though and a revisit would probably be good...

So....

1. Forgotten Realms.
2. Dragonlance. 
3. A new setting altogether.