New magic player creates awesome deck!

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I discovered Magic through DotP 2013, but quickly fell in love and decided to transition to Paper Magic. I've been at it for a few months now, so I'm very green. Anyway, here is a Standard deck that I have constructed and that I feel has some potential after a little bit of playtesting:

The Axebane Guardian can produce insane amount of mana in this deck, which I use to power out the Heavy Hitters. Playing Mwonvuli Beast Tracker with a Soul of the Harvest on board lets you grab any hexproof/trample/deathtouch/reach creature and put it straight into your hand, so I will either go for Silklash Spider if I'm facing a lot of fliers, Worldspine Wurm to finish, Or Elderscale Wurm if I'm under pressure. Elgaud Shieldmate is the bff to Elderscale Wurm, by the way.

I can get Soul of the Harvest on turn 4, which produces insane card-advantage, as does Staff of Nin. I can also go from 0-5 Hatchling counters on Ludovic's Test Subject very early if I get enough defenders on board with an Axebane Guardian.

I tested 3x Sphinx of Uthuun in place of the Silklash Spiders, but felt that my card advantage was good enough with the Silklashes.

What do you think?
so where's this awesome deck?

i mean, welcome to the wonderful world of constructed and all, but  you've got a long way to go.  this is a fine casual deck, but most of these things won't hold up in tournament play.

i guess i'm not sure how competitive you're looking to be at this point or if you're willing to invest a lot of money, but i think the deck may be at least salvagable for FNM.

its hard to want to play UG decks since you don't have access to breeding pool yet, but at the very least, you're going to want 4 hinterland harbors.

as of right now, blue isn't doing anything in your deck.     

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Welcome to the world of paper magic.

That said, there are some problems with your list.  You do not have the kind of early ramp you're going to need to get your big creatures out quickly.  And when you are able to cast them, the kind of decks that will let the game get to that point will have a hand full of answers.

Your defense comes online in the form of Defenders starting on turn 2.  This is all well and good, but the Aggro decks out there right now will just blow your small defenders out of the water and rampage the field before you can do much else.  I think you'll be lucky to see 7 mana, let alone the 11 you need for Worldspine.

Shieldmate will need to soulbond the turn it comes in, or it will never be able to live to see your big threats get played.

I think your best bet if you want to ramp out a fatty, is going to be using a heavey ramp shell of:

4 Arbor Elf
4 Farseek
4 Elvish Archdruid
4 Ranger's Path

If you can keep your Elves and yourself alive long enough, that should let you cast something big by turn 6.  However, living that long is going to be tricky, and VS Control decks, you have to expect them to have removal for the moment you play your threat.

Outside of a very casual standard, I don't think your game plan is very solid.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
I'm concerned about your win conditions. Your draw may be fine, but only having 1 of each wurm is just asking for counterspells/removal. Once they get rid of one of the two, it will be pretty tough for you to win the game. You only have the shieldmate for hexproof. I would look into Ranger's Guile for more hexproof, and I suggest looking at maybe some cheap creatures that can help you draw as well, such as Elvish Visionary. I don't know what your budget is, but Garruk, Primal Hunter is getting a lot of love right now and is great for help with drawing. The Ludevic's Test Subject is also very iffy. Once they counter these or kill them before they flip, you are in trouble. You also need to make a sideboard. In order to do this, look at some of the top decks and what cards can shut them down without destroying your own game plan in the process. Fast aggro decks are going to run over your guardians and fog banks. Look for ways to stall them so you can get your larger creatures out.
Well, I have to say that the title of the post was very tongue-in-cheek, so if you didn't get that then there's no hope for you. Moving on...

I came and stated in the opening line that I discovered Mtg through DotP 2013, which was released in July (4 months ago). To try a Magic-related joke, I'm Worldspine Wurm Incarnate (because I'm so green, get it?).

Now, I am not looking to compete in the Pro Tour or anything, nor am I looking to invest insane amounts of money into what is for me (currently) a minor hobby. But the game holds great appeal to me, and I can see myself playing it for many years to come. So please, refrain from the condescending remarks (e.g. so where's this awesome deck?) and tell me what is good about the deck along with what is bad about it.

And I understand the importance of non-basic lands, I simply don't own them. $50 for a playset to put in a deck I may only play a couple of times? No thanks. If I get more serious about the game in the future, then I'll make the investment.

Kudos to the guy who started his post with, 'Welcome to the world of Paper Magic."

Now please, some examples of decks/cards that will hurt me so I can evolve the deck to combat them. The only cards I was very worried about were Supreme Verdict and Cyclonic Rift (since my deck is almost entirely creature-based), but my knowledge of the card pool is very limited, so I'm sure there are 50 million more that I just don't know about.
i would just cut blue then from the deck, since, again, it isn't doing anything in your deck.  then you can play better mana dorks

and by the way.... lighten up 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

This is not an awesome deck it's a terrible deck.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Enjoy your forum, gentlemen. I'll leave you to it.
i mean, i gave my thoughts, you didn't really seem to want them, so....

Photobucket

You have some pretty good wincons, but they are probably not practical against T1 decks. I don't know how competitive your FNM is; what you need is dependent on your meta. Fighting against these scary new U/W/R midrange decks with Geist of Saint Traft and Thundermaw Hellkite is far different from a bunch of home brew and populate decks.

With that said, I have a few recommendations: don't reinvent the wheel, make sure every card in your deck fits in the curve, and start with a defined gameplan to build around - every card in the deck should serve this gameplan. Also If you are on a budget, I would recommend Red Deck Wins or GW humans.

Take a look at winning decks from SCG Seattle or the Grand Prix Bochum for some ideas, but remember that those decks are often built to battle specific metas, and should not be copied card for card. 
So I just realized that this forum entitled 'Standard Deck Help' falls under the 'Tournament Play' heading. I am definitely not looking for tournament play, just a casual participant at FNM once every month or two. Is there a forum for more casual players to discuss such things? 
There's a casual forums one section up
So please, refrain from the condescending remarks (e.g. so where's this awesome deck?) and tell me what is good about the deck along with what is bad about it.

This forum is full of that behavior, unfortunately. For many community members, this has become an elitist club that is very unforgiving to beginners. I recommend the Casual deck forum, which is where you will find both more constructive criticism and a friendlier crowd.

The only cards I was very worried about were Supreme Verdict and Cyclonic Rift (since my deck is almost entirely creature-based), but my knowledge of the card pool is very limited, so I'm sure there are 50 million more that I just don't know about.

So the good news is that in Standard format, there actually are not that many cards to know about. There are currently 1,144 cards in Standard, but since most of the cards you have to worry about are rares and uncommons, you can rule out about half of them. And when you consider cards that actually get played a lot, you're probably looking at just a couple of hundred cards. Start playing for a while, and most of them will become familiar to you.
So I just realized that this forum entitled 'Standard Deck Help' falls under the 'Tournament Play' heading. I am definitely not looking for tournament play, just a casual participant at FNM once every month or two. Is there a forum for more casual players to discuss such things? 

FNM is also a tournament and this particular subforum ("Standard Deck Help") is supposed to cover "help building your casual, budget, or noncompetetive Standard decks." There are separate Tier 1 and Tier 2 forums for more competitive play.

Someone gave me good advice in a thread in which I got a reception similar to yours: Ignore responses from players with over 1,000 posts. That may be a bit unfair, but it is not far from a good description of the atmosphere in this forum.

In any case, I'm sorry you got such a rude reception. 

My influence is growing...
I hate dogs.

My influence is growing...

Et tu, BF?

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" /> Ignore responses from players with over 1,000 posts.

I read that as, "Ignore good responses".

Here's how it goes: New players post sub-par decks that will get hammered to pieces at FNM, seasoned players give their advice, and then noobs get offended like someone crapped in their sandwhich.

Honestly, this is the internet people. The advice given was still legitimate regardless of how it was presented. If you can't take it, then don't post your stuff.
I read that as, "Ignore good responses".

Here's how it goes: New players post sub-par decks that will get hammered to pieces at FNM, seasoned players give their advice, and then noobs get offended like someone crapped in their sandwhich.

There is no advice in a comment like "This is not an awesome deck it's a terrible deck." It's sheer rudeness, it's puerile, it's infantile, and all it does is turn people off of Magic. In case you haven't noticed, the game doesn't exactly suffer from a reputation of attracting socially competent members of humanity.

Honestly, this is the internet people. The advice given was still legitimate regardless of how it was presented. If you can't take it, then don't post your stuff.

There are a gazillion internet communities where beginners can post, make mistakes, and not get insulted as a result. This is not one of them. Again, the only end result of note is that you will turn away new players. If that is your goal, great job!

Finally, learn to quote properly.
This forum is filled with circle-jerks who just spend all their time crushing new players' ideas.
I hate dogs.
I've been at this game 4 months, I don't expect to come in here and have everyone go, 'Oh wow dude, you rock!" I know nothing about deck-building. Zero. But all the 'advice' I have received has mostly been provided in a lingo that I don't understand (and in a heavily condescending tone). Dork? Heavy-ramp shell? Meta? Yeah...

So anyway, I came to the wrong forum. Moving on.

EDIT: Thanks for the backup, Hreth. The world needs more people like you. 
The fastest way to learn about the cards, the community, and gain experience playing is to play limited: draft and sealed. Check it out.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

The fastest way to learn about the cards, the community, and gain experience playing is to play limited: draft and sealed. Check it out.

Thanks for the advice.  I played at the RtR pre-release and have done one draft since then. I have two small kids (one 3 years, other 4 months), so time and money are a limiting factor.

Shocklands will make certain your kids don't get fat.  ;)

I do apologize for the un-human robotic semi-humans here in the standard forums while they all debate that Thragtusk is dominant without realizing he prevents standard from becoming turning little dudes like Rakdos Cackler and Ash Zealot from dominating everywhere.

As far as deck advice, I really can't give you much compared to them, but I'll leave you with some terms that are good to know.

Mana dorks are creatures like Llanowar Elves, Birds of Paradise, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Arbor Elf, Joraga Treespeaker, Elvish Archdruid, Noble Hierarch and other creatures that can tap for mana, effectively ramping you (note, some of these aren't standard legal).

A meta is simply determing what decks are being played. A complicated one to figure out would be a Grand Prix or SCG Open or something big like that. An easier one would most likely be FNM where you can have 8-50 players just depending on the store you go to.

I sure hope you and others end up finding this helpful, and pardon my lengthy-ness.

I also do advise drafting, as the two times I've played sealed (I played the pre-release and one draft) I found it horribly fun, and was able to build decent decks with the cards I pulled. They're probably more expensive than plain old FNM (excluding deck building costs) but they expand your collection nicely to boot (personal experience, all my drafts and sealed events left me ahead in card prices).
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I do apologize for the un-human robotic semi-humans here in the standard forums while they all debate that Thragtusk is dominant without realizing he prevents standard from becoming turning little dudes like Rakdos Cackler and Ash Zealot from dominating everywhere.

I would just like to point out that there's multiple cards that would have fixed this problem appropriately. Faith's Fetters is perfectly fine.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

There's a lot of new idiots who come into this area and make threads with titles like yours, but without the irony. You should only use sarcasm once you're known. Also, it's helpful if you say "CASUAL PLAY" at the front of your decklist, so we know what your end goal. It's also helpful to know what your budget is. Thragtusk will give you time to get to your fatties, but at $20+ apiece.

Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
One cheap thing I would recommend is 4x Doorkeeper to give you an alternate path to victory. Someone might just cast pacifism on your big guys.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]