Want a Raiders of the Lost Ark light puzzle with combat

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So in the next game or two my players are going to eventually get to a room where a secret will be revealed to them.  I want to make this something besides an NPC monologing or a standard encounter with a boss type character.

They are in a large pyramid at the moment trying to get to the top where the message will eventually get revealed (it's a map leading to another place where they will find something special) and there's another group there trying to get that message too.  I've been thinking of different types of things to do in that room and decided I wanted to do something similar to Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy has to get the staff with the right height in the right hole so the light can shine through the pendant to show the location.

I don't really want something that complicated, but I do want to make part of the party focus on the fight with the other group in the pyramid and other members focus on getting the secret location.  

Any ideas? 
Talk to your players about what they think would be cool, but here's my idea:

A gigantic orrery, like in The Dark Crystal. Ideally, the party could just take their time and study it, but the presence of the other group there makes it necessary to speed up the process. This could entail various checks during combat, including ones for climbing on the orrery, and positioning the machinery, while dodging chunks of it. Don't call for knowledge checks unless the player has done something to act on that knowledge; the check afterward reveals whether the action they took paid off.

The other group is trying to get the information too, but they'll settle for a partial map rather than let the players get a full map. So, after X rounds, they'll focus on disabling or destroying the orrery and getting out.

Edit: Oh, "light" puzzle. I thought you meant "light" as in "not intense." Well, same basic concept. The group has to get into position on dangerous ruins in order to put the clues together. If they don't do it in time, they only have partial information, and the enemy has another part.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Haha, yeah, light source, not light weight.  :-)

The idea of an orrery would actually be pretty cool and something I could work with though. 
Haha, yeah, light source, not light weight.  :-)

The idea of an orrery would actually be pretty cool and something I could work with though. 

Figure out what success and failure look like. Success might be a full map, and failure a partial. Or success might be only a partial map, with failure no map, while the enemy has a partial. Find out from your players what they'd enjoy.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Definitely check out www.penny-arcade.com/2009/09/30/light-an...! It does require a prop intensive map and some setup effort, but looks well worth it!
Sign In to post comments