11/21/2012 UR: "Rogue's Passage"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Yet another article where the link goes to the wrong place. There have been way, way too many of those recently. It's like they don't care about the forum threads at all.

Anyway, I enjoyed this. I like reading about broadly-sympathetic thieves and rascals in fantasy societies; The Lies of Locke Lamora and suchlike. (Reminds me of the NaNoWriMo novel I wrote about homeless day-workers in a fantasy world too.)  Intriguing that Tanek is finding a bit of conscience. Interesting to find a Boros who's interested in information from sewer rats and guttersnipes; I guess it's not that far from Agrus Kos last time round. Not at all surprising that the Orzhov bully the ordinary citizenry around. Also fun to see the Dimir logo on the closeup of the art to Conjured Currency, which I hadn't noticed before.
DOWN WITH THE ORZHOV!!!

did anyone else notice that the rich man, with a bulging purse, didn't even pay for his delicate pastry? and the boros were standing right there. Makes me think this particular boros is a bit of a rogue agent.

hope tanek finds the actual rogue's passage btw
I was pretty surprised to see Tom LaPille's face at the top of an Uncharted Realms story. I always loved his writing on Latest Developments, and it turns out he's a pretty good story-writer, too! This story reminded me of why I liked the original Ravnica block novels so much. It's really cool to see not just broad views of the guilds, but closer looks into individual personalities and how they interact.

I especially liked the Boros character. It felt so perfect the way he transitioned from, "Give me back the stolen gold (white) or I'll kill you right now (red)," to "I'll show you mercy (white) because you might be able to help me with some off-the-record reconnaissance (red)."

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.