3rd game running Next

"Secrets of Spiderhaunt Forest!"  That's what I ran.  Adapted to Next obviously.  The Players had been through the "Sword of the Dales" and were almost 3rd level at the beggining of "Secrets"  About 2/3rds through they became 4th.  My players are playing a Trickster Cleric, Battle Wizard, and a Fighter who's choosing his maneuvers instead of following a theme.  They are all Dwarfs.  

Some of my thoughts:
-Not sure how often to use Advantage/Disadvantage.  I used at the obvious points, like when a ghoul paralyzed PC was being attacked or when the Fighter was drunk.  I should probably use it more by encouraging PCs to go after it roleplaying-wise.  I like the simplicity of the mechanic.
-Clerics are real nice now.  Holy word mechanic is real nice.  The player playing the Cleric likes the class.  The Trickster cleric is a nicely rounded suite.  
-Combats are super spikey and I know I really like it.  I openly fudged the beasties' rolls at several points as we are really stress-testing the system still.  Not sure if I think monsters need to hit better.  All of the fights I ran put the PCs close to zero.  Technically there were some fights that might have been TWP if I hadn't fudged it.  The Players, two who are veteran gamers, don't seem to mind the monsters.  I'm pretty sure they didn't not feel challenged.  
-Combats are super fast compared to 3rd and 4th.  Some people may not like this but I definitely do.
-Gave some magic items, +1 warhammer, pearl of power, staff of charming.  weren't broken or game changing so it works nice.  Players loved the individuality of the magic items now.

-The Fighter player likes the fighter but seems to think he's a little boring at times.  I have not had a chance to confirm this yet.
-Will perhaps post more after I digest.  

Excellent stuff.

You are using A/D the same way I am... with careful deployment.  I generally use it as a boon/penalty for PCs and leave it up to them to try to come up with clever ways to find advantage or distasterous attempts that leave them at disadvantage.  It makes they game more their own.  Creatures get it where it makes sense, serves the story, and/or adds additional drama where needed along with where it comes in mechanically (ie, prone, paralysis, etc).

I woulodn't worry too much about "boring" classes because most the time it's a matter of finding what the player finds as exciting/interesting.  Each class has proven to be "fun" for those who are interested in the particular style they offer.

I am with you on so many of your points. Thanks for sharing  
I was the dwarven Trickster cleric, and I was pretty much totally awesome.

Lovin Next right now, trickster cleric is perfect (Maybe his invisiblity power should last till the end of his next turn not the start).

I can understand why the fighter wants a bit more to his guy, but nonetheless very effective.

We are a great team! 

My mind is a deal-breaker.

Excellent stuff.

You are using A/D the same way I am... with careful deployment.  I generally use it as a boon/penalty for PCs and leave it up to them to try to come up with clever ways to find advantage or distasterous attempts that leave them at disadvantage.  It makes they game more their own.  Creatures get it where it makes sense, serves the story, and/or adds additional drama where needed along with where it comes in mechanically (ie, prone, paralysis, etc).

I woulodn't worry too much about "boring" classes because most the time it's a matter of finding what the player finds as exciting/interesting.  Each class has proven to be "fun" for those who are interested in the particular style they offer.

I am with you on so many of your points. Thanks for sharing  

I just talked to the fighter player and he didn't know if he thought it was boring because it was actually boring or if because he has been playing spellcasters for the last 15 years.  I'm leaning a little towards the latter.  He's loving the roleplaying itself so that's about 50-75% of what I look for.  
Sign In to post comments