Please suggest improvements for my Golgari Deck

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I havn't played in over a decade, and I am trying to get back into it again. I purchased some cards from the newest block and I really liked the Golgari clan stuff. Ive played with the Golgari Swarm intro deck, and I have the Izzet vs Golgari duel decks. I want to put together a Golgari deck based off of Death's Presense, and Corpsejack Menace. The idea is to use those two cards along with some of the scavange mechanic to and lots of counters to make fat creatures. Below is the decklist I am considering. If you thing something needs added/removed please let me know. THANKS!!

Golgari Counter Attack

10 Forest
9 Swamp
3 Golgari Guildgate
1 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
(24 Lands)

3 Llanowar Elves
3 Dreg Mangler
3 Lotleth Troll
3 Corpsejack Menace
3 Eternal Witness
3 Shambling Shell
2 Slitherhead
2 Golgari Guildmage
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

(23 Creatures)

1 Garruk Relentless
(1 Planeswalker)

3 Vigor Mortis
3 Putrefy
2 Life from the Loam
2 Jarad's Orders
(10 Spells)

2 Death's Presence
(2 Enchantments)

Total: 60 Cards

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
You want 4 Slitherheads. It's a 1-drop you can sac and then immediately scavenge. Nets two tokens that way. With corpsejack, it can become four.

You are aware a few of those cards aren't legal in Standard, just FYI. 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I updated my decklist. I had to go through and find out what was and wasnt standard legal. ( I only play with a few friends from work so it really doesnt matter but i wanted my deck to be able to go to the local FNM if my wife would let me). Take a look at the new change and let me know.

Golgari Counter Attack

10 Swamp
10 Forest
4 Golgari Guildgate
(24 Lands)

4 Slitherhead
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Corpsejack Menace
4 Dreg Mangler
4 Primordial Hydra
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
(21 Creatures)

4 Golgari Charm
4 Vigor Mortis
4 Murder
(12 Spells)

2 Death's Presence
(2 Enchantments)

1 Garruk Relentless ( I want to replace him with Vraska the Unseen if I can get one in a booster)
(1  Planeswalker)

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Vigor Mortis isn't legal right now, im afraid. I would replace it with some additional removal. I would suggest:

-2 Golgari Charm -> Regeneration is nice, the -1/-1 is situational.
-4 Vigor Mortis

+2 Ultimate Price
+4 Grisly Salvage -> Lets you find a creature you are looking for specifically, or pick up a land, and then dump some scavenge guys in the yard.
How about:

-2 Golgari Charm
-4 Vigor Mortis

+2 Ultimate Price
+4 Treasure Find

I think that treasure find will be better than Grisly Salvage because there are no other Dredtge cards in the deck
I had shambling shell but its not legal either.

I shouldnt need to draw 5 cards and pick one, odds are since i have 4 copies of them all i will get one in the first
few rounds.  
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
The idea behind grisly salvage is to put cards in your graveyard quicker. Creatures that benefit from having stuff in your graveyard (like Jarad) get a boost. Plus if it mills a Slitherhead, instant +1/+1 on another creature.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
That makes a little more sense. I think there are at least 8 cards in there with Scavange. 
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Use the [deck] and [/deck] tags around your deck list to make the cards autolink to Gatherer (or use [c] and [/c] around individual card names when discussing them).

That makes a little more sense. I think there are at least 8 cards in there with Scavange. 

My problem with scavenge is that it is slow. Cards that require 5-6 mana to scavenge very rarely seem to get used in practice, even with mana acceleration. Slitherhead is great for this reason, even though it is just one +1/+1 counter. Apart from that, I think the only worthy scavenge cards are Dreg Mangler, because you get 3/3 with haste for three mana, and Deadbridge Goliath because you get 5/5 for four mana.