Dragonborn, Tiefling, and Warforged in the PH-- and more like them, please.

First off, I would prefer Half-Dragons, Half-Fiends, and Golems. There would be campaign specific sub-races, such as the Warforged subrace of Golem, or the Draconian Half-Dragons..

That said, I think there should be player-scaled versions of ALL archetypal fantasy monsters and creatures. So not just Half-Dragons, Half-Fiends, and Golems-- but Shifters(Werewolves), Dryads/Wood Woads(Treants), Dhampir(Vampires), Half-Giants/Goliaths(Giants), Genasi(Elementals), Half-Celestial/Aasimar(Angels), etc. I think I am not alone in preferring other archetypal, fantastic races aside from humanish Tolkien variants.

I see these in most campaigns as rare individuals or isolated groups, rather than cultures that are the majority population of nations.

Of course, rules to play "young" versions of Dragons, Treants, Giants, etc, and to gain racial levels as you grow/age, could be it's own separate thing.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

First off, I would prefer Half-Dragons, Half-Fiends, and Golems. There would be campaign specific sub-races, such as the Warforged subrace of Golem, or the Draconian Half-Dragons..

That said, I think there should be player-scaled versions of ALL archetypal fantasy monsters and creatures. So not just Half-Dragons, Half-Fiends, and Golems-- but Shifters(Werewolves), Dryads/Wood Woads(Treants), Dhampir(Vampires), Half-Giants/Goliaths(Giants), Genasi(Elementals), Half-Celestial/Aasimar(Angels), etc. I think I am not alone in preferring other archetypal, fantastic races aside from humanish Tolkien variants.

I see these in most campaigns as rare individuals or isolated groups, rather than cultures that are the majority population of nations.

Of course, rules to play "young" versions of Dragons, Treants, Giants, etc, and to gain racial levels as you grow/age, could be it's own separate thing.

This are all cool ideas, presented in some form or another in past editions. 4E had a lot of monster like races, even stuff like satyr or pixie, I love  Dragonborns and tieflings in the 1st PHB.... 2E had the Complete book of humanoids, there was a campaign setting for playing with dragons... I could see 4E adding a few more interesting non conventional races in the next few years if they didn´t shut it down....

This is the kind of stuff that usually appear latter in one edition the problem is they keep rebooting the system all the time... I don´t see it too soon in 5E though, maybe dragonborn and tiefling but the other stuff.. give it 4 or 5 more years ... 

If we put in warforged, we can't not put in artificer. Both areprobably going to end upin an Eberron book though.

eh, I don't see why folks are putting such a stress on things showing up in the PHB. Like the PHB is some kind of holy grail.

Really, if it's in there somewhere it'll be in there. Just 'cause it's in the PHB doesn't mean there won't be people who don't allow stuff.

But hey what the hell. If it's so important to everyone, whatever. Print that sucker in the PHB if it makes everyone happy.

Just don't expect all of it to be available at every table.

eh, I don't see why folks are putting such a stress on things showing up in the PHB. Like the PHB is some kind of holy grail.

Really, if it's in there somewhere it'll be in there. Just 'cause it's in the PHB doesn't mean there won't be people who don't allow stuff.

But hey what the hell. If it's so important to everyone, whatever. Print that sucker in the PHB if it makes everyone happy.

Right.  A DM is not under any obligation to allow every Players Handbook race in the campaign.  The weirder non demi human races are probably most appropriate to be determined on the campaign level. 

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!

My sugestion would be t have these races ,many who are campaign specific in the MM with sidebars on how to use them as player characters.
so people have acces to them if they want to convert a already existing campaign.

and when the campaign setting the races came from is re published it will add further details like race specific backgrounds.

After the core races (whatever and however many those end up being) are presented in the PHB, I wouldnt mind seeing a book with all the OTHER races in it, all together. Let the DM and players decide who and what they are going to use, but have them all in 1 place so that its easier to reference. Campaign books are nice, but if I run Greyhawk, it sucks to buy Eberron just to have a couple races or classes and nothing else.
After the core races (whatever and however many those end up being) are presented in the PHB, I wouldnt mind seeing a book with all the OTHER races in it, all together. Let the DM and players decide who and what they are going to use, but have them all in 1 place so that its easier to reference. Campaign books are nice, but if I run Greyhawk, it sucks to buy Eberron just to have a couple races or classes and nothing else.

Good call. A race compendium would be a great resource.

Good call. A race compendium would be a great resource.

A Race Compendium WOULD be nice. And if the core turns out like I think it will, the publication of 5E Race Compendium would mark the point at which I buy into Next.
Anything for dragonborn but the uninspired name.
I think that the 'core' races and generic/'core' classes are all that should appear in the PHB. I'd prefer races and classes that are campaign-specific to appear in campaign setting books. 

The warforged, changeling, artificer and shifter should appear in the Eberron book, the bariaur and tiefling should appear in the Planescape book, etc. Purchasing materials to access specific things I want exposes me to other settings, provides more opportunities to support the hobby, and keeps everything flavorful and ordered nicely where it is most relevant.  

Danny

Howdy folks,

The current line of discussion is bordering on inappropriate.  Let's steer the conversation back toward the original topic.

Thanks.   

All around helpful simian

I think that the 'core' races and generic/'core' classes are all that should appear in the PHB. I'd prefer races and classes that are campaign-specific to appear in campaign setting books. 

The warforged, changeling, artificer and shifter should appear in the Eberron book, the bariaur and tiefling should appear in the Planescape book, etc. Purchasing materials to access specific things I want exposes me to other settings, provides more opportunities to support the hobby, and keeps everything flavorful and ordered nicely where it is most relevant.  

+1 I am all for this too 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

+1 I am all for this too 

Me too, nice, Eberron would expose you to Changelings, Kalashtar and Warforged, Dark Sun/Athas to Half-Giants and Thri-Kreen, Planescape to Bariaur and Tielfings, etc.
I don't care where the races go TBH, however, I do want at least two "out-there" races in the PHB.
I don't care where the races go TBH, however, I do want at least two "out-there" races in the PHB.

Why "two"?

And they are all pretty out there to me... 
I'd prefer to keep races out of setting specific books, to be honest.  While I like Warforged and Changelings, Eberron is my least favorite setting out of all of the ones D&D has ever had.  While I like Half-Giants and Mul, I find them to be better used outside of Dark Sun.  Same with the Vishanti and Ravenloft.  I'd rather see "Races of" books or even placing races in Complete (insert class type here)/(insert class type here) Power books according to the classes most common to the race.  I do not enjoy spending money on a book when all I will use out of that book is a handful of pages on a specific race or two.
If there are any "weird" races in the PHB, make one of them Hengeyoukai! If it's not in the PHB, at least put it in the MM.

Why "two"?

And they are all pretty out there to me... 

"At least two".

And two, IMO, should be enough to get us started without causing the "Tolkien fantasy" purists to burst into flames.

And by out there, I mostly mean something that isn't either a Human, or a Human with one or two very slight cosmetic changes(like Elves being humans with pointy ears, Dwarves being short humans with beards, etc)
The reason that I would like for there to be more exotic races in the PHB, like Dragonborn just for example, is because it keeps all of the races in the PHB from being "Human but with pointy ears", "Human but really short", and "Human but short and wide". The standard Tolkein-esque races are not very fantastical, and they give an unremarkable first impression of all of the wonderful, crazy thing that race can really be.

Plus, working with only fairly mundane races in the PHB means that racial traits may be allowed to be too mundane, setting the bar too low for some of the more fantastical races to be able to appear on the set later on and do everything that they're expected to be able to do. I don't want Dragonborn to be introduced later only to lose their breath weapon just because it would be too powerful compared to the unexciting features granted to the relatively mundane PHB races.

I maintain that, even though I'm not a fan of all of them, the most logical thing for them to do with races would be the same thing that they're doing with classes: Include in the D&D Next core PHB all of the races that have ever been in a previous edition's core PHB. That gives us Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Gnome, Elf, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling. In this case, the Dwagonborn and Tiefling would satisfy the need for some exitic races in the PHB, assuming that the Elf eats the Eladrin again, which I still don't think it should.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

I agree with this. A few pages of reprinted content isn't a deal breaker.
There is a page limit on the PHB. Each new race takes up three pages of content, possibly more. Too many races means less core content and modules. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

There is a page limit on the PHB. Each new race takes up three pages of content, possibly more. Too many races means less core content and modules. 

Do races themselves not count as core content?
Heck, I think they're a lot more interesting than a lot of core content they could include instead.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Do races themselves not count as core content?
Heck, I think they're a lot more interesting than a lot of core content they could include instead.

Some races do. Some races do not. 

For example, what would you rather have?
a) Dragonborn, tiefling, warforged, shifters, and changelings
b) Tactical combat module

Or

a) genasi, goliaths, deva, widen, and shardminds
b) the warlord and ranger

There's only so much space in a PHB. And decisions need to be made regarding which content simply has to be included and what content is just optional. If youre a huge warforged fan then maybe it's not much of an option. But that means someone else is dissapointed. So suddenly it becomes a numbers game. The trick then is making everyone happy at different times.

Frankly, a Big Book of Races is an easy sell. More subraces, more new races, more options, racial specialities and background, racial equipment, racial spells and maneuvers, etc. It's a no-brainer of a product as it has something for everyone. And with so much content, it becomes a little easier for DMs to pick and choose what to include and what not to include, as even if they ban 75% then there's still a lot being added. 

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

I'd gladly take more races over the tactical module.  I'm more torn over races vs. classes, admittedly.
For example, what would you rather have?
a) Dragonborn, tiefling, warforged, shifters, and changelings
b) Tactical combat module

Or

a) genasi, goliaths, deva, widen, and shardminds
b) the warlord and ranger

There's only so much space in a PHB.

I feel like that's kind of a cop out argument. I mean, you could say that for practically anything:
"I guess we could include tactical combat in the PHB or we could have Rogues and Wizards."
"I suppose we could include Halflings and Gnomes or we could make room for Backgrounds."
"I'm sure we could include a chapter on basic equipment or we could include the chapter on how actions work."
Asking us to make decisions about what should be includen in place of what is an empty argument, especially at this stage when we have no idea how long they even want the PHB to be.

I feel like that's kind of a cop out argument. I mean, you could say that for practically anything:
"I guess we could include tactical combat in the PHB or we could have Rogues and Wizards."
"I suppose we could include Halflings and Gnomes or we could make room for Backgrounds."
"I'm sure we could include a chapter on basic equipment or we could include the chapter on how actions work."
Asking us to make decisions about what should be includen in place of what is an empty argument, especially at this stage when we have no idea how long they even want the PHB to be.

Background is 10 pages
Character creation is 5 pages
Equipment is 11 pages
How to play is 24 pages
Races is 8 pages
Specialities is 7 pages
Spells is 20 pages
Classes is 18 pages
Maneuvers is 5 pages.
The total "player" pagecount is 108 pages, covering five classes and four races. That's a third of the PHB already, and we don't even have all the maneuvers and spells, all the specialities and backgrounds, and all the class schemes and race subtypes. They could double that without even trying hard. 

Now, imagine adding 10 more classes and six more races. The core rulebook is looking pretty darn sizable and we haven't even touched modules and optional rules that make up the bread and butter of 5e's selling features.  

Personally, while I agree that a book containing all the races that have appeared in a PHB isn't a bad idea, there's a lot of fighting for space. I still advocate a very small all-in-one Core rulebook with just the core classes and races (the big four of each), the rules (for players and DMs) and a handful of monsters. Then the PHB can be chock full of everything else, including many, many extra races.

That's a third of the PHB already...

How do you know? Really, if you have information on how long the PHB is going to be, I would love to know where you got it. Otherwise, for all we know, they're aiming for a thousand pages and arguing about page count is completely baseless.
It just seems like it's nothing but the perfect way to derail any useful conversation:
"Let's talk about what we want to see in D&D next."
"NOPE! PAGE COUNT!"

How do you know? Really, if you have information on how long the PHB is going to be, I would love to know where you got it. Otherwise, for all we know, they're aiming for a thousand pages and arguing about page count is completely baseless.
It just seems like it's nothing but the perfect way to derail any useful conversation:
"NOPE! PAGE COUNT!"

Let's not be ridiculous here. There's a maximum page count for hardcover books. Exceeding it requires more expensive binding. WotC has been keeping the size of their books small for all of 4th edition and there's little reason to believe they will be reversing this trend now. 
I doubt we'll see a 160-page PHB, so instead we're likely to see 224-320 pages.
One of the biggest hinderences for Pathfinder for new players is the giant 576-page monstrosity that is the Core rulebook. It would be the height of foolishness for WotC to repeat that mistake. The biggest RPG books I own are Ptolus (672-pages) and the Tome of Horror Complete (688-pages) and both were prices well beyond what they'd price a PHB and are scarily large. 

+1

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Complete Races type of book as well. Maybe it would have to wait until each of the Campaign World books was released (introducing campaign specific races); but it could include tips on how to adapt these campaign specific races to a more generic world setting.

All in all, I'm in favor of smaller, cheaper publications, that are more specific in nature; even if they overlap to some degree. Then people can buy the ones that interest them, without having to pay for material they don't want. This model may provide a more lucrative method for WotC as well; since people could afford to buy more products and would be more inclined to do so, since they would avoid paying for too much material that doesn't interest them.
Going back to the original idea, I support the notion of generic races.  But, let's make the dragonborn even more generic, perhaps a template for a beastmen race.  I believe I posted about this idea before with default base races with template swaps to customize the race even more.  Perhaps make specifics as sub-races.  But, the Race Compendium (as suggested by another use) is a cool idea too, I suppose.

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Don´t forget surely we will see a player handbook 2 and player handbook 3 with more classes and races.

(only four races in PH 3?) 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Don´t forget surely we will see a player handbook 2 and player handbook 3

I am hoping against that.

Not that I disagree necessarily, but any particular reason why?

Not that I disagree necessarily, but any particular reason why?

Yes, I want a PHB, but would love all sorts of options slathered on top of the core goodness.

I really, really want this modular thing to happen, one guy is playing his AEDU-what-have-you, and the other guy can play at the same table with his different angle on the game.

I do hope this does not come down to DPR. 
And how exactly does that relate to not having a PHB2, PHB3, etc.? That's what I was asking about specifically.

And how exactly does that relate to not having a PHB2, PHB3, etc.? That's what I was asking about specifically.

I feel it dilutes; better to have one PHB; I am all for options (new races, classes, etc).

"NOPE! PAGE COUNT!"

Let's not be ridiculous here. There's a maximum page count for hardcover books. Exceeding it requires more expensive binding. WotC has been keeping the size of their books small for all of 4th edition and there's little reason to believe they will be reversing this trend now. 
I doubt we'll see a 160-page PHB, so instead we're likely to see 224-320 pages.
One of the biggest hinderences for Pathfinder for new players is the giant 576-page monstrosity that is the Core rulebook. It would be the height of foolishness for WotC to repeat that mistake. The biggest RPG books I own are Ptolus (672-pages) and the Tome of Horror Complete (688-pages) and both were prices well beyond what they'd price a PHB and are scarily large. 

*looks at the various corebooks from other RPGs*

The new Iron Kingdoms RPG, Changeling: the Lost, and Shadowrun 4e run about 350 pages. Exalted 2e, all the 40k RPG line corebooks (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, and Black Crusade), Mage: the Awakening, and Eclipse Phase are all about 400. If the DnD Next corebook is 350 to 400 pages, it won't really be that out of line with other, equivalent books in other RPGs.
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!
And that's not even considering that many other games just try to be one game, not a crazy conglomeration of explicitly optional rules.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
Don´t forget surely we will see a player handbook 2 and player handbook 3

Agreed. If Next is to pull in as many D&D players as possible, nobody should have to wait two years for their favorite class or race to appear.

If Next is to pull in as many D&D players as possible, nobody should have to wait two years for their favorite class or race to appear.

I don't know about that. I can think of a lot of my favorite races and classes that I'd rather them take a good, long time to release, the main reason being because I want them to have more experience designing for the system under their belt so that they can create those things more proficiently and also so that they're somewhat forced to make them more mechanically unique to differentiate them.

I'll use the 4E Monk as my example. If they'd gotten created and released earlier in the PHB, then they probably would have ended up essentially functioning like a lightly armored Paladin, maybe with some hints of Ranger and Rogue thrown in there for the Striker bits. Because they waited, though, they had to come up with something really unique for the Monk to justify it. The result was the Full Discipline mechanics and one of 4E's most fun and interesting classes to play.

I think the races in the PHB should be those that were in the 3.5 PHB and notable races of the default setting for the edition, which seems to be FR. So Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, Half-elves, Half-orcs, Gnomes, Drow (for the kiddies), Aasimar, Tieflings, and Genasi. Only the first four of those would be considered "Core".