Monster Recharge Powers and Action Points

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
When a monster uses a standard action recharge power and then uses an action point should the DM roll the recharge die to see if the recharge power just expended recharges?
When a monster uses a standard action recharge power and then uses an action point should the DM roll the recharge die to see if the recharge power just expended recharges?

You roll recharges at start of turn, so no.
Source for that ruling?
Source for that ruling?

One would assume its in the MM1 although I don't have a copy of it offhand.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Couldn't find my MM1, but the MM2 clearly states it on page 7, under 'Recharge', that the recharge die is rolled at the beginning of the monster's turn.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Yep it's right in MM1, thanks.
Yeah, I'm going to echo everyone above: DM rolls for Recharge at the start of the creature's turn. So Action Points have nothing to do with it.

However, if the DM is really desperate for a recharge-on-demand power (I'm making an assumption here, feel free to ignore me), I'd suggest a custom "Spend an action point to regain the use of a recharge power, instead of gaining an additional action." Could be a rather potent combination, especially on a Solo with a Recharge 6 power.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
Yeah, I'm going to echo everyone above: DM rolls for Recharge at the start of the creature's turn. So Action Points have nothing to do with it.

However, if the DM is really desperate for a recharge-on-demand power (I'm making an assumption here, feel free to ignore me), I'd suggest a custom "Spend an action point to regain the use of a recharge power, instead of gaining an additional action." Could be a rather potent combination, especially on a Solo with a Recharge 6 power.

Or similarly an elite or solo with a custom special ability that lets it roll to recharge when it spends an action point. Or depending on how strong you want to make the creature, let it automatically recharge a power when it spends an action point. That might be appropriate for an epic creature since most PC's will have something similar at that point too. This would all be homebrew though.
MM p.7 (if desired): "Recharge: The power has a random chance of recharging during each round of combat. At the start of the monster’s turn, roll 1d6. If the roll is one of the die results shown, the power is recharged and the monster can use it again that turn. The power also recharges after a short rest."