Birth Certificates

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
So. . . I was wondering about how things are done from a legal/bureaucratic standpoint on the planes. Specifically regarding birth.

It has been demanded of myself that I reveal my Phyrexian Birth Certificate lest I be disqualified in a rather important election. Now, of course this seems a preposterous notion, yes? Birth doesn't quite mean to the Phyrexians what it means to everyone else. . . but would they give something - some form of identifying paperwork to newly compleated Phyrexians?

Now, as it does, the question seems to spread to other planes. W/Ravnica being so hot right now - my mind assumes that the Azor do their darned best keeping the citizens accounted for. Would their systems be nigh as comprehensive as our own? W/sorcery standing in for computer?

Alara, Innistrad, and the like all seem like fairly obvious places. Maybe you'd have some form of Birth ID if you were like of important blood or something, but 99 percent of the population probably wouldn't.

But these are just the idle ramblings of a Phyrexian Dictator (or at least soon-to-be) - I want to know what you folks know. You've read books and do Wiki articles. Tell me your secrets!

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
You have your heartstone. That is your proof of decantation. If you should ever displease the Father of Machines, he will reach down and mark it indellibly upon your heartstone. Should you earn too many marks, he will crush your heartstone and you will die where you stand.

Incidentally, if you don't even know about the heartstones, I don't think you qualify very healthily to be dictator. You need further research!
Or a campaign manager.
Maybe other planes adhere to the default that doesn't bother with stuff like that? . I know on this planet it's an American symptom, perhaps of other dictatures as well, but not in most other countries where I do know the situation of.
Show
Obligatory and Preliminary Smiley Reservoir: IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Wee.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Dancing%20AIM.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/rawr.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/ghgh.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/%5D%5D.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/luv.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/circle.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/turtle.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jade.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wilson.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/pcXQL.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blushing.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.png)
Oh, you caught me! I'm not really Phyrexian. But don't tell the YMtCers. I doubt that most of them know that. You know - different breed of nerd up there. As far as the "further research" comment - what do you think this is? I'm going straight to the experts.

Terti, that is interesting. Like many Americans, I rarely leave my country. My reasons have more to do with lack of money, and increased amounts of school and work - but they are still excuses.

Anyway, Bari - thank you for the feedback. I will put it to good use by taking over YMtC w/it. Ssshh. Don't tell them.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

Pre-modern societies (which is what most Magic-planes are) often didn't have records of anything that wasn't a matter of the nobility. 

Now, it's not as easy as to just say this and call it a day. Magic planes are (pretty obviously) not just Medieval Earth.

You have to ask who wants to record and why.

On Ravnica, the Azorius are neurotic enough to want to record everything, but this isn't very practical. At best they'd record everything relating to the guilds (so if you're born in a guild, they'd record that), but I don't think they'd care to record such details about the guildless. In reality, they probably just record the birth of anyone (in a guild) who cares to tell them.

On Innistrad, I don't think there is much in the way of formal registration. Churches may have records of people present during certain events, but this is far from certain. I also don't think they have a child-baptism thing, so there goes another avenue of registration. 

On Alara, Esper might have some form of birth-register, but only for the rich. I'm not sure about Bant, because their caste-system might benefit from registration, but I'm pretty sure they assume everyone is just honest about it. 

Mirrodin's communities are to small to benefit from registration.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Innistrad would. Germany had long genealogical records, as you should know.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Two questions:

1) Why should I know?

2) Did they keep records of random peasants?

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I know in England there are church records of births, deaths and marriages going back to the middle ages. So I assume any plane with that level of tech (most of them) and a stable society (some of them) would have the same sort of thing.
Anywhere there is tax there needs to be a record of who owes what to whom. The first major census in England was in 1067-69 to work out the tax owed.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Two questions:

1) Why should I know?

2) Did they keep records of random peasants?

Well, you see, back in the 1930s and 1940s, there was this Austrian who moved to Germany, got a high-ranking job in the government, and used genealogical records to find people.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
...I am really not sure how you concluded that the most memorable part of the rise of Adolf Hitler was its implications for medieval record keeping, or that everyone else would similarly prioritize that bit of trivia.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Increasingly so, the best part of my day is logging in at the end of the day and seeing what manner of madness has riddled this board since the last time I logged in.
I understand that. I get the same kick from reading GM Champion's threads.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I don't know if he's a troll or if he is so delusional that he's effectively transcended his eartly bonds and become a being of pure energy and madness, and I don't care.
he's effectively transcended his eartly bonds and become a being of pure energy and madness, and I don't care.

That's my schtick damn it!
he's effectively transcended his eartly bonds and become a being of pure energy and madness, and I don't care.

That's my schtick damn it!

But you're a reasonable being of energy and madness.
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
TBH, I thought you were the avatar of unfettered rage.

To prove a point: Jace on Zendikar.

*jumps into woefully inadequate bomb shelter*
TBH, I thought you were the avatar of unfettered rage.

To prove a point: Jace on Zendikar.

*jumps into woefully inadequate bomb shelter*

STILL DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
THREE YEARS AFTER THE FACT AND WHILE JACE HAS MORE PRESSING MATTERS ON HIS PLATE, THE LOVE OF HIS LIFE IS BEING HUNTED BY A BLOODY BARBARIAN WHICH HAS JUST THROTTLED HIS OWN NECK AND WHAT DOES HE DO!? HE SCAMPERS OFF AFTER A JOB HE LIKELY BARELY REMEMBERS FROM HIS FIRST YEAR IN THE CONSORTIUM, A MISSION WHICH WAS STRICTLY BUSINESS AND TOOK HIM LESS THAN A DAY TO ACCOMPLISH!
ADD IN THE STRUGGLE FOR HIS LIFE AND THE BETRAYAL OF THE ONLY WOMAN HE'S ACTUALLY LOVED INSTEAD OF JUST DATED AND YOU END UP WITH SUCH TOTAL CONTRIVANCE TO DRIVE JACE INTO A CONFRONTATION WHICH ITSELF MADE NOT A DAMN BIT OF SENSE!!!

Wrath is an aspect, knowledge the other. Timelessness the binding betwixt the two. The cold of darkness after time ceases woven with the heat of the fires of creation make my being.
I rest my case.
I rest my case.

Sort of disappointed you didn't post that clip from Raiders of the Lost Ark where the nazi's face melts off.
Nobody has a sense of decorum anymore...
Well you only typed in all-caps.
Why no 72 point blood red font?
No theatricality anymore.
Barinellos, have you lost the passion for concetrated bile towards all things?
Do you wake up in the morning and forget why you hate?

Well you only typed in all-caps.
Why no 72 point blood red font?
No theatricality anymore.
Barinellos, have you lost the passion for concetrated bile towards all things?
Do you wake up in the morning and forget why you hate?

No, I was being considerate toward every poor soul that actually had to read that horrible vitriol that I stain this thread with. Blood Red? 72 point? Honestly, do you think me so boorish and uncouth that I take the lazy man's method? Crimson, my friend, that is the color of distilled wrath. All caps only to temper my anger lest I break the firmaments of this place.

Besides, it isn't the morning, it's well after dark and I've had a long day. Come back when it's my day off, I'll rend your soul and sanity then. It's busy being an eldritch being.
And like I said, I'm not an avatar of rage. I am an incarnation of creation and destruction, that which becomes and remains long after. That which watches and records and... corrects... when beings err and step from the path of true history into the fallacial realms of pathetic and small dreams. How could such ephemereal and tiny mayflies stand in the grand presence and weight of the course of history itself?

All that is has come before and shall pass away to the future again. The wheel of the omniverse turns slowly and crushes time beneath its great cycle. And I shall remain to watch all come around again.
Yogg-Sothoth was here. Nyarlothotep is a loser.
...I am really not sure how you concluded that the most memorable part of the rise of Adolf Hitler was its implications for medieval record keeping, or that everyone else would similarly prioritize that bit of trivia.

To be 100% fair, every thread must end in a Hitler comparison. It's a rule.
139359831 wrote:
To be 100% fair, every thread must end in a Hitler comparison. It's a rule.

The law says that as threads go on, the probability of someone bring up Hitler (or Nazis) goes up. So only threads with an infinite number of posts must end with a Hitler comparison.

Anyway, I'm not sure how the Holocaust says anything about record-keeping in the 1600s. 

Yeah, but Donald Trump (whom this thread was inspired by) was trolling the primaries anyway.
139359831 wrote:
Yeah, but Donald Trump (whom this thread was inspired by) was trolling the primaries anyway.

This thread was inspired by the election that I'm currently losing. Pretty much lost. Maybe Imi was inspired by Trump - odd because Australians. But, I was inspired by his slander. Which one that son of a bitch the election.

Actually, he's a really good designer. Probably better than me and Glasir (sorry Glasir) - though if I hadn't been running I totally would have voted for the Mono-Blue party.

139359831 wrote:
I once considered banning Imi from my contests because he always did too well <_<
Yeah, I'm actually totally gonna vote for his "Choose X" card if this is another Voting Contest. If not, then you should pick mine for they are the greatest.

139359831 wrote:

Shame on you for trying to tempt a judge!

I figure it is okay, because telling a judge to pick you is like making it so that they can't, right? That was my logic. Anyway, it was fun not winning your contest in advance. At least that was my logic as I have judged in the past. Whenever anyone compliments someone else's card it becomes slightly harder to be objective.

139359831 wrote:
Huh. What's so good about his designs?

Man, I want to reach out to YMTC to promote some cross-polination between the card designers and the flavor people in the Expanded Multiverse project, but the culture up there is so dizzying, I'm not sure how to go about it. @_@

Although actually, I've been meaning to ask you two whether you would want to collaborate on a contest or several for M:EM. Not sure what form they would take exactly, but would either of you be interested? 
Hey, I'm a YMTCer, too! Personally, I love combining them. Most of my designs are top-down anyway.

As for Barinellos' anger over the Jace thing, it's really simple. When Jace was born, Niv-Mizzet sensed phenominal power within the infant, and ordered him cloned. There are at least  four  different  Jaces  running around, each with their own agenda. The Jace that is hunting for Liliana is a completely different Jace from the one who chased after Chandra. The fact that Niv was able to clone the spark in the first place was probably what drew Nicol Bolas's attention, and why the two ancient dragons are at war. (Did I make Barinello's head explode with rage yet?)

Shameless Self-Promotion

These are the MTG Fiction pieces I have written:

Planes of the Dual-Walkers
Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers
Numerous poems in The Poetry Plane
Magic: The Musical

Please read and comment! I love hearing people's thoughts and reactions to my work!

@ raven I do not envy you one bit
Show
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
@ raven I do not envy you one bit

I get that a lot.

But hey, it's just my way of telling him I'm ready to get back to work on Ellysium.

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

Please read and comment! I love hearing people's thoughts and reactions to my work!

As for Barinellos' anger over the Jace thing, it's really simple. When Jace was born, Niv-Mizzet sensed phenominal power within the infant, and ordered him cloned. There are at least  four  different  Jaces  running around, each with their own agenda. The Jace that is hunting for Liliana is a completely different Jace from the one who chased after Chandra. The fact that Niv was able to clone the spark in the first place was probably what drew Nicol Bolas's attention, and why the two ancient dragons are at war. (Did I make Barinello's head explode with rage yet?)

That's funny, Jace doesn't bloody well LOOK Rabiahan. You'd think he'd be more swarthy if that were the case.
Also silly Raven. Niv isn't at war with Bolas.... but you're at war with me now. Well, more along the lines that I'll flay you in your sleep. So not like war at all, more like torture. For you. When you sleep.
Yeah, talk about diversity up there. Imi's designs just tend to be really interesting and innovative. I'll try to find an example. . .

Okay, this one was a couple days ago and it made me feel better about losing to him:
Singularity |
Creature - Incarnation
Epic
"It does not mean there's only one!" 
1/1 

Let's just pretend that I've properly modded the rules for Epic. 

For like a huge list of cards that he's done. Here is his incarnation thread. Some of those might appeal to you.

Imi, Mown, and CKY are some of the best up there for sure. Oh, and Pietro is really good too. Fallingman. There is a long list. I left a few other people out.

But then, the culture is so varied. We also have like 12 year-old kids and stuff that just post the most preposterous things. A whole slew of very serious and judgmental individuals who like to judge cards but aren't the best designers - and of course the judgmental individuals who are good too. And then there are like the sub-groups - like The Chain and stuff. Where only 6 or 7 people even look at it, and those individuals keep it alive. I remember someone commenting on how clique-y it was up there when we did the contest where we had to join up w/someone. It is, too. I think that these aspects of it are the reasons I can't stop logging on. It is a fascinating environment with a lot going on. Oh, and of course Kevin. He adds a dimension to YMtC all his own. He's actually designed some good cards. Still, he's offended me personally more than once. Truly an enigma.

I'm down though to help out with an M:EM contest. Last time I helped someone out with a contest, he mysteriously disappeared. What are you thinking? Designing the 'Walkers and Legends or more of the spells they cast? You could even do a "Tell This Story With Cards" contest. . . Huh, now I kinda want to participate. Anyway, let me know when you have more concrete ideas.

I actually think that'd be a great way to get a little more traffic for your work. I mean, probably not a lot - but more than I imagine you get right now.

139359831 wrote:
Hey, I'm a YMTCer, too! Personally, I love combining them. Most of my designs are top-down anyway.

That's kinda exactly what I mean. Like I never see you on there. Where do you hang out? Oh, is it that Contest Like No Other thing? See, I don't even know what that is, so I don't join it. Probably explained in the first post.

I imagine you have poetic flavour texts.

139359831 wrote:
Three things:

1.) The mere fact that I don't need to be awake for the flaying signals that you still have a shred of mercy for me, which is uplifting.

2.) They really need to revisit Rabiah. I made that argument in the last Great Desiger Search. They could do amazing things with that setting with modern Magic technology.

3.) I was totally serious about the Ellysium thing. My classes are done in two weeks, and my grading should only take a few days, and then I'll be raring to go.

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

This one is for the Barin:

Bolas's Caress
Sorcery
Target opponent discards cards equal to the life he or she has lost this turn. You draw that many cards.

"Bolas shuddered at the thought, a sigh escaping the great bellows of his chest. It would not do to wreck all his delicate work just yet, not when he was so close now."

Hope you don't mind!

139359831 wrote:
Three things:

1.) The mere fact that I don't need to be awake for the flaying signals that you still have a shred of mercy for me, which is uplifting.

Actually, you'll be fully aware of it, but unable to react to it. I always feel like it adds a delightful psychological aspect that you just don't get otherwise. Plus, screaming gets tiresome after a while.

3.) I was totally serious about the Ellysium thing. My classes are done in two weeks, and my grading should only take a few days, and then I'll be raring to go.

I'll probably send you the document to refine then. That's what's been hung up for the past month or so, just unable to undertake the work it requires to get everything in order and open for other people to grok without having to go through a huge thread.
This one is for the Barin:

Bolas's Caress
Sorcery
Target opponent discards cards equal to the life he or she has lost this turn. You draw that many cards.

"Bolas shuddered at the thought, a sigh escaping the great bellows of his chest. It would not do to wreck all his delicate work just yet, not when he was so close now."

Hope you don't mind!

hehehehe
Now I just kind of want the have the entire story converted to cards.