W/U(/B?) spirit tribal deck help please...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to make a reasonably-decent standard-legal deck. I'm still new-ish to Magic and still sorting out what I want to do with a Drogskol Captain/Drogskol Reaver deck (which I am certain is heavily-worn territory at this point). I'd appreciate some practical input from people who actually have some experience and/or creativity. I've searched through the threads here a bit and can't find much with regards to my general curiosity. My basic ideas for starting points are:

Drogskol Captain x 4
Drogskol Reaver x 2 - 4
Mindshrieker x 4
Favorable Winds x 4

(Possibly Trepanation Blade x 2 - 4?)

Drogskol Captain x 4
Drogskol Reaver x 2 - 4
Spectral Rider x 4

EDIT: I guess I could just combine options 1 and 2, with or without including Favorable Winds...
Spectral Rider seems like a really good combo with Drogskol Captain, but I'm not sure where to go from there...find ways to buff them further I guess, or add in a lot of curses/control, or I dunno.)

Drogskol Captain x 4
Drogskol Reaver x 2 - 4
Lingering Souls x 4
Favorable Winds x 4
Intangible Virtue x 4

(Midnight Haunting? Sorin, Lord of Innistrad? Azorius Charm?)

My goal is to create a really flexible deck, wherein I can essentially change its entire approach (at least to a moderate degree), while maintaining the ability to ramp up some pretty decently-strong creatures regardless of what sideboarding I do. I realize the third option sort of strays from this a little bit- but it just seems like a strong (and likely very unoriginal) idea. In the first option, Mindshrieker/Trepanation Blade isn't expressly to make a mill deck (since I don't think I have enough strong cards for that)- but I was imagining it might possibly be a disruptive-enough side-effect to be worth it.

I'm not trying to ask anyone to tell me how to finish these decks (though those thoughts/suggestions are welcome too)- just wondering which of these starting points some other players might choose, what directions they might go, and why.
I personally like the aggressive version W/U/b featuring sorin, lord of innistrad and lingering souls. In that list drogskol reaver doesn't fit very well at 7CMC. I wouldn't use favorable winds either but instead go all in on tokens with gather the townsfolk (even though they aren't spirits). keening apparition is always handy to have main deck and is a spirit but not a token but will help to fill out the 2 CMC creatures. niblis of the urn is another option to keep the aggro on. At 3 mana you have lingering souls, midnight haunting, and drogskol captain (alternatively if you have the money sub geist of saint traft in for midnight haunting). At 4CMC you have sorin and dungeon geists and cap things off with the 5 CMC geist-honored monk (alternatively increasing devotion). Throw in some removal and you've got a good list.
Don't be too smart to have fun
I personally like the aggressive version W/U/b featuring sorin, lord of innistrad and lingering souls. In that list drogskul reaver doesn't fit very well at 7CMC. I wouldn't use favorable winds either but instead go all in on tokens with gather the townsfolk (even though they aren't spirits). keening apparition is always handy to have main deck and is a spirit but not a token but will help to fill out the 2 CMC creatures. niblis of the urn is another option to keep the aggro on. At 3 mana you have lingering souls, midnight haunting, and drogskul captain (alternatively if you have the money sub geist of saint traft in for midnight haunting). At 4CMC you have sorin and dungeon geists and cap things off with the 5 CMC geist-honored monk (alternatively increasing devotion). Throw in some removal and you've got a good list.

Reaver just seems so good...I want some chance to use it...but I see your point. I only have one Niblis of the Urn and one Geist of Saint Traft- Niblis probably don't cost too much, but those Geists are like 20 bucks or something I think- too much for the low-level playing I do. Midnight Hauntings were just a thought, but worth it if going all-in on tokens, as you mentioned. Geist-Honored Monk is a really good idea and I have 4 of them. Rather use those than the Increasing Devotion though I also have a bunch of those.

Would you use (4-of) Keening Apparition AND Niblis of the Urn both? Sideboard the Apparitions to start out? Use a combination of the two totaling 4 - 6 cards?
I personally like the aggressive version W/U/b featuring sorin, lord of innistrad and lingering souls. In that list drogskul reaver doesn't fit very well at 7CMC. I wouldn't use favorable winds either but instead go all in on tokens with gather the townsfolk (even though they aren't spirits). keening apparition is always handy to have main deck and is a spirit but not a token but will help to fill out the 2 CMC creatures. niblis of the urn is another option to keep the aggro on. At 3 mana you have lingering souls, midnight haunting, and drogskul captain (alternatively if you have the money sub geist of saint traft in for midnight haunting). At 4CMC you have sorin and dungeon geists and cap things off with the 5 CMC geist-honored monk (alternatively increasing devotion). Throw in some removal and you've got a good list.

Reaver just seems so good...I want some chance to use it...but I see your point. I only have one Niblis of the Urn and one Geist of Saint Traft- Niblis probably don't cost too much, but those Geists are like 20 bucks or something I think- too much for the low-level playing I do. Midnight Hauntings were just a thought, but worth it if going all-in on tokens, as you mentioned. Geist-Honored Monk is a really good idea and I have 4 of them. Rather use those than the Increasing Devotion though I also have a bunch of those.

Would you use (4-of) Keening Apparition AND Niblis of the Urn both? Sideboard the Apparitions to start out? Use a combination of the two totaling 4 - 6 cards?

drogskol reaver is very good but I've seen him played in more controlling lists and I don't think drogskul captain fits very well into those lists.

geist of saint traft is not neccessary for this decklist which is part of the reason I like the decklist. I would just want to curve out properly which unfortunately leads to some choices like gather the townsfolk or keening apparition for 2 CMC creatures I feel like having eight 2 CMC creatures is right for this aggressive version. If oblivion ring or detention sphere is the removal of choice I think you could leave keening apparition out and go with niblis of the urn. So it would go something like this

creatures and spells which create creatures: 23
4 gather the townsfolk
4 niblis of the urn
4 drogskol captain
4 lingering souls
1 geist of saint traft
1 midnight haunting
2 sorin, lord of innistrad
1 dungeon geists
2 geist-honored monk

other: 8
4 detention sphere or oblivion ring
4 intangible virtue

Mana obviously as many duals as you can fit. It's just a black splash for lingering souls and sorin so only ~8 sources is probably needed. I usually stick to 24 lands but in a deck which caps at 5 CMC I might go down to 22-23 lands but it's your call.

This is only 31 spells so it gives you the flexibility to add what you like but I feel like it curves out pretty well and would keep the pressure on like an aggro deck while being somewhat resilient with multi use spells like lingering souls, sorin, lord of innistrad. It has a good matchup against anything using targetted removal spells like dreadbore, but I feel like if you don't land a intangible virtue or drogskol captain early on traditional aggro decks or red burn decks might out pace you.

supreme verdict is a real beating so maybe rootborn defenses in the sideboard. The other beating is detention sphere which keening apparition can't really help you out with much but drogskol captain helps a lot in that regard. If you're up against supreme verdict then maybe go 4x sorin, lord of innistrad. There are a lot of options of cards that you could add to the deck. this is just a shell.

Don't be too smart to have fun
The W/U/b Spirits I've been working on for a while now is a more token-based approach that uses a lot of anthems/control aspects to take the board:

My mana base is weird, but works for me (I have this weird facination with blowing up my own lands to get my swamps out). The only real problem is gettign the Travelers to die and give me tokens, but otherwise they're a free point of damage each turn. Azorius Charm is amazing all around: bounce, life gain, or card draw. All are relivant at some point. Blustersquall is my poor man's Cyclonic Rift, but can be useful for tapping out the opponent's creatures if necissary. I also am looking into geting at least 1 Detention Sphere to replace one of the O-Rings. 

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20795.jpg)

Sign In to post comments