G/W Populate - to the Top 8?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all, new player here returning after a long break, last played in the first Ravnica set, blah blah blah. Here's a deck that I nearly got into Top 8 with. I'm looking for advice and tips to improve.

23 LAND 
2x Temple Garden
4x Evolving Wilds
2x Selesnya Guildgate
5x Plains
10x Forest

24 SPELLS
4x Farseek
4x Call of the Conclave
4x Selesnya Charm
4x Oblivion Ring
4x Druid's Deliverance
2x Rootborn Defenses
2x Rancor

13 CREATURES
4x Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
2x Loxodon Smiter
2x Armada Wurm
2x Wayfaring Temple
2x Gatecreeper Vine
1x Golgari Decoy

Sorry for not autocarding - anybody want to clue me in and I'll edit this for easy reference.

It is creature-light, and I got mowed over by a really fast G/W aggro build but did well against B/W Tokens and G/B/R control. I'm thinking of making it more of a turbo-fog build that stalls until swarming with populated tokens, since my area seems to be full of aggro players and little countermagic or control. Any suggestions are welcome!
Well if you are running against alot of aggro then throw in 4 Doomed Travelers. That will help alot just because they pop out another creature when it dies. I would take out the evolving wilds and put in 4 Sunpetal Groves. If you are wanting token spam then I would consider putting in Midnight Hauntings as well. I would also take out the Farseeks and replace them with Axebane Guardians to help with mana ramp. Take out 1 Druid's Deliverance and 1 Call of the Conclave and replace them with the Loxodon Smiter. I would also advise putting in 2 more Rancor for the Wayfaring Temples. They are only good if they hit and if you can give him trample then you are almost guarenteed a hit if you have enough creatures out on the feild. I can give you my deck list for my green white if you want but I don't run token spam its more of a beat down than anything. If you want I can deck list out what I would do instead. Your choice. Not tyring to seem rude just trying to throw out options ya know. Hope this helped a little
To autocard type [ c ] in front of the card name - without the spaces, and [ / c ] after the name - again, without the spaces.

midrange decks are very good against aggro decks and not so good against control. It's also fairly different from a Selesnya token build.

Mana ramp can help, Avacyn's Pilgrim is pretty standard, Arbor Elf works pretty well since he can work with temple Garden. A dork lets you get out a three-drop on turn two which is just crushing against aggro decks. This is obvioulsy faster than Farseek and Gatecreepers if a little more vulnerable.

Loxodon Smiter is one such three-drop, Centaur Healer is also very good as he un-does a little of the damage as well as kick most aggro creatures' butts.

Thragtusk is of course the star of the show in most decks these days and he's super in :wm; decks. He loves Restoration Angel and she is easy to fit with her casting cost of 3.

Trostani, Selesnya's Voice is the way to go with populate; the Guildmage is way too slow. Trostani helps stabilize with the life gain and her incredibly big butt. I don't really recommend populate, as has better stuff available, but you can tighten up a little and probably do a little better.

The Temple is not really all that great, you aren't going to have many opportunites to get that many creatures out against good opposition, the Smiter is better and the Centaur is also probably better. Thragtusk is hands-down better.

The Vines and the Decoy are pretty awful and should go first.

The Wurm is also pretty slow and you would be better served with lower-cost cards.

Drop the Guildmages as soon as you can round up two or three Trostani's and add more of the three-drops and you'll see beter results.

You build is better than many; some folks cram every card that says populate into a deck and it just makes a mess. The Call, the Charm, and Trostani are the best of the bunch; Rootborn is okay - even it is maybe better in the sideboard, but the rest is better off left for draft - even the Guildmage is really good in draft.
Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping to have a different build than the G/W I've been seeing which is heavy on the Thragtusks and Rootbound Geists. As fast and heavy-hitting as that G/W Aggro is, I want to approach the color pairing from a different angle. I've been playtesting some more and will continue to tinker with some options.

I don't hold out much hope for Populate being a Tier 1 deck, but if you catch your opponent off-guard it can get out of hand really fast and recovers well from most board sweepers if you don't overextend early on.
Avacyn's Pilgrim nets you a turn 2 smiter, which is what I would be shooting to drop on turn 2 if I'm not using Precinct Captain or Strangleroot Geist
IMAGE(http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/Nasrod/BigRedForumSigNostretch.jpg)
You nearly got into the top 8 of FNM with that list? That's pretty impressive man.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

You nearly got into the top 8 of FNM with that list? That's pretty impressive man.

cat?

there are a slew of good GW decks out there, i'd check out some recent top 16 lists from the grand prix from the past week for some ideas.  basically, relying on the populate mechanic is not where you want to be.

that said, you can expect to need to invest some more.  i'd at least flesh out the mana base.  sunpetal groves?      

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

cat?

there are a slew of good GW decks out there, i'd check out some recent top 16 lists from the grand prix from the past week for some ideas.  basically, relying on the populate mechanic is not where you want to be.

that said, you can expect to need to invest some more.  i'd at least flesh out the mana base.  sunpetal groves?      

No I'm not a cat.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

cat?

No I'm not a cat.

psst... i'm aware, it was a joke

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

I think adding a Garruk, Primal Hunter would be a good move so that you have a draw outlet as well as more token generation. He is also not affected by board sweepers, which is the bane of the decks existence.
I'm a big fan of cards like Farseek and even Evolving Wilds because they help to ramp and thin out my library. By pulling as much land out as I can, I find I run into fewer "dead draws" where I'm pulling a land when I don't want it. I can see how the mana dorks can accelerate quicker, but I'm thinking of moving towards a more midrange play strategy. Here's my first attempt at a fog/token build; keep in mind I see a lot of creature-based aggro decks in my local shop, so I think I'd have a shot at stalling with fog etc as I build up tokens for a late-game alpha strike. Still needs playtesting, but any thoughts? My biggest concern is the balance of creatures vs spells, but you all have given me some good suggestions so far.

23 LAND
4x Evolving Wilds
2x Temple Garden
10x Forest
7x Plains

21 SPELLS
4x Farseek
4x Call of the Conclave
4x Druid's Deliverance
4x Fog
4x Safe Passage
3x Divine Deflection

13 CREATURES
4x Dawntreader Elk
4x Armada Wurm
3x Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
2x Wayfaring Temple
I'm a big fan of cards like Farseek and even Evolving Wilds because they help to ramp and thin out my library. By pulling as much land out as I can, I find I run into fewer "dead draws" where I'm pulling a land when I don't want it. I can see how the mana dorks can accelerate quicker, but I'm thinking of moving towards a more midrange play strategy. Here's my first attempt at a fog/token build; keep in mind I see a lot of creature-based aggro decks in my local shop, so I think I'd have a shot at stalling with fog etc as I build up tokens for a late-game alpha strike. Still needs playtesting, but any thoughts? My biggest concern is the balance of creatures vs spells, but you all have given me some good suggestions so far.

23 LAND
4x Evolving Wilds
2x Temple Garden
10x Forest
7x Plains

21 SPELLS
4x Farseek
4x Call of the Conclave
4x Druid's Deliverance
4x Fog
4x Safe Passage
3x Divine Deflection

13 CREATURES
4x Dawntreader Elk
4x Armada Wurm
3x Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
2x Wayfaring Temple

No.

it's been mathematically proven that the "thinning" by fetchlands (like evolving wilds) does not impact your draws significantly enough to make up for the fact that you are needlessly slowing your deck down by not playing better lands.  if you don't have them/can't get them, then just say it.

playing a bunch of fogs with creatures is a bad plan. 

Photobucket