Selesnya Struggles

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a green white token deck and it is just super chunky. I think I just need some advice on what to cut or what to add. If I can keep it lower cost, thatd be great!

Spells x 20
Trostani's Judgment x2
Sundering Growth x2
Selesnya Charm x2
Druid's Deliverance x2
Rootborn Defenses x2
Giant Growth x2

Creatures x24
Wayfaring Temple x2
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage x2
Centaur Healer x4 (there are so many because I feel its a solid 3/3 for 3 +3 life)
Oak Street Innkeeper x2
Centaur's Herald x4
Phantom General x1
Loxodon Smiter x1
Thragtusk x1
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice x1

Planeswalker x1

Land x20
Plains x8

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
selesnya charm to 4
common bond and seller of sonbirds both bad cards
hannttom general works better with small tokens

trostani's judgment is a little high on the curve, and growing ranks a little slow.
id either take then out and replace with 4-of of the instant populate spells or gear the deck better for late game, getting better tokens - sadly the best are freakin $$ so on a budget i think the midagro is most viable
2-3 intangible virtue would be great.

anyway, the main advice would be that if you want to play populate build around it. make sure you have a token and get plenty of ways to populate.
If I was simply making cuts and not adding anything (fixing the land to spell ratio) I would remove seller of songbirds, phantom general, oak street innkeeper, giant growth, common bond. This puts you at 55 spells add 3 forest and 2 plains to make 60 cards. This will help the deck out immensely although there are some other things that you could continue to improve (for instance oblivion ring over trostani's judgment).
Don't be too smart to have fun
There are actually two routes you can go with selesnya tokens. You can go Tall with:

Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
Call of the Conclave
Selesnya Charm
Centaur's Herald

and populate mechanics to take advantage of meatier tokens (2/2's and 3/3's). In this build, you want to focus on generating tokens that are great to populate. 3/3 centaurs come to mind, and 2/2 knights aren't shabby either.

Or you can go Wide with:

Intangible Virtue
Phantom General
Midnight Haunting
Gavony Township

This build, on the other hand, looks to make the most tokens/card possible, and then make them bigger with +1/+1 effects.

Both build have their merits. Going with Populate means you are making tokens that are fine by themselves, but are a bit slower to overwhelm your opponent. Going with the +1/+1 route gives you a faster deck, but it is very weak to Detention Sphere and sever the bloodline. Additionally, loosing any pump effect (or not finding one to begin with), means you are stuck with an army of 1/1s.

Picking one of these and evaluating each card based on how well it works in that type of deck will help you weed cards out. You look like you are closer to the populate side of things, so the first thing I would do is get rid of anything that makes only 1/1's, and bump up Selesnya charm to 4. Phantom general can stay, since he only cares about tokens. I would also get Rootborn Defenses up to 4, as this is the most useful populate card. Trostani's Judgement and Sundering Growth are situational at best, and shouldn't be included just because they have populate on them. They are better in the sideboard to answer very specific threats.

Hope that helps! 
You've helped me so much that it's time for me to help you.  Here's the BEST card combination of Green White I've ever seen for token decks. 

Midnight Guard.... wait for it.... equipped with Presence of Gond.  Instant infinite elves.  Also, maybe think about a Parallel Lives?

Just a suggestion.
Aw thank you! We have just one Parallel Lives and at the moment it resides within my husband's insect token deck, but as soon as I get more, I will be sure to add them in :D
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Aw thank you! We have just one Parallel Lives and at the moment it resides within my husband's insect token deck, but as soon as I get more, I will be sure to add them in :D

Parallel Lives looks very good, but in practice often turns out to be too slow.
Midnight Guard.... wait for it.... equipped with Presence of Gond.  Instant infinite elves.

Decent combo, though both cards are somewhat bad on their own which is never a good sign for a combo. The same sort of thing has existed for quite a while, though in the form of Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Pestermite (and more recently Splinter Twin + Deceiver Exarch).
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Sign In to post comments