Top 5 cards in DotP 2013

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since I am little bored I decided to make a thread were we rank to top 5 cards in the game (for their purpose in their respective decks).

1. Panoptic Mirror - Regarding this ranking I am sure there is only one questions to be asked; "does he also have Time Warp on his hand?" Nothing brings more fear then seeing this thing get dropped. Insta rage-quit and insult generator.

2. Natural Order - I am sure that anyone that has played against Yeva patiently waits to see if this thing is popping the piñata open on turn 4. Nothing like stearing down 18 power and thoughness accross 4 creatures before you even drop your 4th land.

3. Pernicious Deed - Just kiss everything on the field goodbye. Whats worse then seeing this thing get dropped on the field when you are winning? Also seeing a pair Blood Artist getting their pastels ready for their master piece.

4. Corrupt - You just swung for a massive amount of damage and feel the game its at hand and then next turn you eat a 8+ swamp Corrupt to end your day. Ouch. This card bites and the bite is usually fatal. 

5. Well of Lost Dreams - Easily the brightigest spot in Celestial Light (ok I will stop with the bad jokes). What is better then gaining life? Drawing cards to go along with it. Not the scariest thing to see but you will fall behind really fast if this thing stays on the board.

Honorable Mentions:

Erratic Portal
Mutilate
Overrun

Comment, discuss and make your own list.
Forgot to add the Phyrexian Obliterator to the honorable metion. That thing is a beast.
I'd rather have Griselbrand than the Obliterator. I know it's 8 vs. 4 CMC, but still.....
I'd rather have Griselbrand than the Obliterator. I know it's 8 vs. 4 CMC, but still.....

I'd rather have Emrakul than Griselbrand.
Defense of the Heart. That card can get eff'd. Seriously.

And I second Erratic Portal, in a deck that is built for it. It's the only card that makes me feel kind of guilty to use.

(Sorry, I'm a forum noob, dunno how to link the cards.)
Defense of the Heart. That card can get eff'd. Seriously.

And I second Erratic Portal, in a deck that is built for it. It's the only card that makes me feel kind of guilty to use.

(Sorry, I'm a forum noob, dunno how to link the cards.)

It's (c)card name(/c), but with brackets instead of parenthesis.

Example: Giant Growth

OT: I think one of the good things about this game is that a lot of decks have good "bombs"; For PI, my fave, Primeval Titan is always a welcome sight.

It's (c)card name(/c), but with brackets instead of parenthesis.

Example: Giant Growth

OT: I think one of the good things about this game is that a lot of decks have good "bombs"; For PI, my fave, Primeval Titan is always a welcome sight.

Cheers. Defense of the Heart, for those who don't know it. If it was "more than 3" creatures it would still be insanely powerful, but as it is I reckon it to be the most broken card in the game.
My top five would probably be (off the top of my head and in no particular order): Fable of Wolf and Owl, Balefire Liege, Dungrove Elder, Rite of Replication and Vengevine. But those are just my favourites, not necessarily the ones that I think are most powerful or anything.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

I'm gonna have to say a kicked Rite of Replication is the scariest thing in this game. I always hold my breathe when CW drops that 9th land... That kicked RoR will end the game 9 times out of 10, I usually concede if they cast it on anything semi-decent as that point in the game I'm already losing steam to such a steamrolling late-game deck.
No Grave Pact from anyone?
I'm gonna have to say a kicked Rite of Replication is the scariest thing in this game. I always hold my breathe when CW drops that 9th land... That kicked RoR will end the game 9 times out of 10, I usually concede if they cast it on anything semi-decent as that point in the game I'm already losing steam to such a steamrolling late-game deck.

Almost any deck in DOTP 2013 has removals and bounce. Any smart player lets the land open vs CW when they have 9 lands. Usually CW dies before turn 9.
Some ppl really make some OK cards looking overpowered.

Almost any deck in DOTP 2013 has removals and bounce. Any smart player lets the land open vs CW when they have 9 lands. Usually CW dies before turn 9.
Some ppl really make some OK cards looking overpowered.

Considering I mainly play 2HG, I don't think I'm overstating its' effectiveness at all. You'd be surprised how often 2HG games go to turn 9 and how often times the team that is playing CW usually has complete control of the board by that time and can freely replicate whatever they feel to seal the deal. You don't always have removal and/or bounce that late in the game, when it hits, it sucks.
Also surprised not to see Warren Instigator on here. If that guy connects, it's game over. And with 2x Shock, 2x Ember Hauler, and 3x Gempalm Incinerator, connecting is not that difficult.
No Grave Pact from anyone?

If it were in Obedient Dead, definitely.

As it is, the 3-Swamp requirement makes it not nearly as scary as it could be, especially since most SS builds also rely on 2-Forest spells.

I don't know if this comes out of left field for anybody, but I'd definitely say Chandra's Phoenix is a contender for best card in the game. It's basically repeatable burn to the face, helps you kill creatures, may as well be unkillable, makes sure burn can avoid the age old problem it has with running out of cards, it's a good chump blocker and the list goes on. It's been holding burn together since 2012.
Also surprised not to see Warren Instigator on here. If that guy connects, it's game over. And with 2x Shock, 2x Ember Hauler, and 3x Gempalm Incinerator, connecting is not that difficult.

I don't know about you, but I love watching an instigator swing through, then playing my Flamebreak, Earthquake, Infest or even, given I started first turn, one of these sweepers. Great card, but given you could be walking straight into a trap, I wouldn't put it into the top five.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

I don't know about you, but I love watching an instigator swing through, then playing my Flamebreak, Earthquake, Infest or even, given I started first turn, one of these sweepers. Great card, but given you could be walking straight into a trap, I wouldn't put it into the top five.

That's a total of 9 cards that exist in only 4 of the 16 possible opponents. The odds are in favor of the Instigator. And if Goblins are on the play, then your 4CMC sweepers are two turns away, presuming you drew one and hit every land drop... yeah.

That's a total of 9 cards that exist in only 4 of the 16 possible opponents. The odds are in favor of the Instigator. And if Goblins are on the play, then your 4CMC sweepers are two turns away, presuming you drew one and hit every land drop... yeah.

Yes, but those opponents are hardly rare decks to play against, at least the three that aren't CL, and hitting every drop up to four is usually the norm rather than the exception. I did point out that it's a great card, but top five? Not a chance in my opinion. Especially since making him get through is still not an easy thing, with blockers and spot removal. Rather have a good etb creature in the top five. 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I'd certainly say instigator is the best removal magnet in the game. I'd also nominate it for creature most likely to die immediately after hitting the table.
I'd certainly say instigator is the best removal magnet in the game. I'd also nominate it for creature most likely to die immediately after hitting the table.

I agree, it is probably the biggest 'Ohhh $hit' card in the game. Deal with it or lose. And like I said above, GG has an abundance of removal for creatures with toughness 2 or less, so outside of the occasional Leatherback Baloth, there isn't much you can play to truly negate that Instigator's presence. And if you've got a X/1, the Instigator survives to torture you again next turn...
Top 5:

1. Swamp

2. Mountain

3. Forest

4. Plains

5. Island

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Top 5:

1. Swamp

2. Mountain

3. Forest

4. Plains

5. Island

Hard to argue with this guy!  

Although, I'd place Island in the top spot, and Mountain at the bottom.....
Top 5:

1. Swamp

2. Mountain

3. Forest

4. Plains

5. Island

In real Magic, I agree 100%. In DotP 2013, Red is pretty solid with GG, BF and GM. Blue has the cute but unreliable MS and DP and the good but incosintent AS. CW is definetly the best it can offer, and I can't say it saves the day...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Top 5:

1. Swamp

2. Mountain

3. Forest

4. Plains

5. Island

In real Magic, I agree 100%. In DotP 2013, Red is pretty solid with GG, BF and GM. Blue have the cute but unreliable MS and DP, the good but incosintent AS. CW is definetly the best it can offer, and I can't say it saves the day...

I wasn't referring to this game, just to my personal color preference overall. I love blue control, therefore I despise red aggro!!
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />I wasn't referring to this game, just to my personal color preference overall. I love blue control, therefore I despise red aggro!!

It wasn't aot personal preference. I don't hate Blue :D

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I prefer bang for the buck.
Panoptic Mirror
Time Warp
Rite of Replication
Maelstrom Pulse
Pernicious Deed

No points for noticing what the first three have in common.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

My current Top 5 Most Hated Cards

1. Panoptic Mirror

This card says to me  'Bend over and take it. And if I don't imprint Time Warp, you got lucky and I'll use some spit lube.'

2. Erratic Portal

Bounce all my lands away... Lovely. Put their life total through the roof... Great. Lets their guys dodge bullets ... Awesome. That whole 'pay 1 to resist its effect' may as well not be there, because 9 times out of 10 they ain't using it on my creatures!

3. Warren Instigator

I hate this little s**t. Breeding his loathesome little buddies all over my screen like a red rectangular army of doom. Terminate with extreme predjudice is an understatement when it comes to this guy.

4. Invisible Stalker

Hexproof and Unblockable (WTF?!). A match made in hell. Sits on the other side of the screen going 'nyah nyah, nyah nyah nyah' because half my removal doesn't work, and by the time I draw the ones that do, its far too late

5. Blightning

'Here's your Mind Rot and Lightning Bolt combo to take-away, sir! That will be 2 cards and 3 damage, please! Would you like to magnify your pain for just 1 card more?

Missed a couple.

Yeah, I like those too!

Missed a couple.

Yeah, I like those too!

Everyone likes freebies.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."