Consequences of defeat for a curse-breaking encounter

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all, looking for ideas for an encounter.

First, I'll give you the background (abreviated)-

The party just fled from a town that was stormed at night by residents that were part of a cult of Vecna. The cult used a curse on the other residents of the town that fills the subject's mind with whispers - driving them to increasing paranoia and eventual madness that allows the cult to dominate them. The part was also cursed, but escaped before the curse could be accelerated on them (as it was the rest of the townsfolk). They now travel to a monastery renowned as a place of healing. One of the party has fallen to final stage of the curse, and is a gibbering vegetable. The others are at various stages.

Now, the mechanical needs of the encounter(s) - The curse needs to be removed, or we at least need to get them out of "I might turn into a mindless drone at any moment" territory. I also have a new player to introduce, a kalashtar paladin, who will be leading the ritual to break the curse. I would also like to provide some extra glue to stick him to the party (and the party to each other).

My thoughts on execution- Since the Kalashtar are native to a dream region (Dal Quor), I'd like to have him lead the party into something Inception like - challenges set in each player's head to break the curse on that player. I'll be tapping their back stories and hopefully hinting at bits of plot along the way. There will be a mix of combat and other types of encounters, depending on what suits the particular character. I'd like to have each encounter be a showdown between the mad player and the sane visitors to his mind (even if they're cursed, they're decursed in each other's minds by the Power of Plot). If an encounter is combat - I want the player to be rolling for the enemies and attacking the party. I have some puzzle-esque challenges in mind to that pit player versus party.

My question - how do I incentivize the player to oppose the party that's trying to help him? I think they'll go along if I say "hey, do this," but I want to actually motivate them. Furthermore, what are the consequences if the party fails and the player wins? As I said, whoever wins, I want the threat of mind control to be done, and preferably the daily saving throws to be done as well. But I'm open to a lingering effect. Ideas?
My question - how do I incentivize the player to oppose the party that's trying to help him? I think they'll go along if I say "hey, do this," but I want to actually motivate them.

Losses sustained by the enemies in the Inception scenario should represent memories. If the intruders are successful, the insane player will either lose a precious memory, or reveal a terrible secret, perhaps something that was even secret from the character himself.

But don't force it. If the player is willing to reveal or lose the information, let them. Wrap up the combat and carry on with the story and the implications of the loss or revelation.

Furthermore, what are the consequences if the party fails and the player wins? As I said, whoever wins, I want the threat of mind control to be done, and preferably the daily saving throws to be done as well. But I'm open to a lingering effect. Ideas?

If the party fails, they all awaken to find the cursed character having a seizure, and then relaxing, when he finally awakes, he's apparently fine. In truth (and I recommend sharing this with all the players) the curse has simply burrowed in and become dormant to allay suspicion and gather strength. The characters, even if they know or suspect what has happened, can do nothing about it for now. They must wait for it to reveal itself again.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

I think the novelty of the scenario and a "hey do this" should be sufficient to get the player onboard. If you want more than that, how about allowing the player to glean a secret about/known by the Vecna Cult for every X amount of time/encounters he can prevent the other PCs from restoring his sanity? I would frame this as being linked to the mind of Vecna and/or all the other curse victims. The potential secret info would need to be quite attractive and have multiple "layers" though. So the player has the tension of how much risk vs. reward.

Consequence wise, I think you're being too gentle with the curse - personally if the group fails in the Inception-style scenario, then at the minimum the mad PC is permanently lost to madness (barring extremely powerful healing magic). I would also be tempted to have further consequences for the PCs in the "dream", depending on the circumstances....but it sounds like you want to take a softer hand than that.