11/26/2012 Draft Simulator

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Not sure why the draft simulator is still on M13 but oh well, I seemed to find Exalted went down really well if you had enough in your deck to consistently get a few onto the field so I went for WB Exalted with a green splash. Initially I was perfectly happy in WB but Primordial Hydra [not sure if I'd actually play it given the double-green cost] seemed too good not to try the switch to green on pack 2, and Rancor and Spiked Baloth just work too well with the archetype to not pick. Green switch also allowed me to sideboard in the deadly recluse and plummets against the inevitable UW fliers deck.

Round 1:
Pacifism
Healer of the Pride
Attended Knight
Chronomaton
Giant Scorpion
Knight of Infamy
Bloodthrone Vampire
Pillarfield Ox
Guardians of Akrasa
Guardians of Akrasa
Bloodthrone Vampire
Glorious Charge
Hydrosurge
Serpent's Gift
Island

Round 2:
Primordial Hydra
Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
Knight of Glory
Disentomb
Vile Rebirth
Rancor
Spiked Baloth
Deadly Recluse
Safe Passage
Ajani's Sunstriker
Disentomb
Bond Beetle
Farseek
Erase
Forest

Round 3:
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Griffin Protector
Deadly Recluse
Ring of Thune
Spiked Baloth
Tormented Soul
Guardians of Akrasa
Warclamp Mastiff
Warclamp Mastiff
Plummet
Bond Beetle
Erase
Duress
Gem of Becoming
Mountain

Wish I'd gone heavier white...oh well.
Really wish I had more removal too, but it clashed with bombs.

Round 1:
Duskdale Wurm Hoooooouuuussseeee!
Guardians of Akrasa Exalted?
Hamletback Goliath Impossible to deal with in combat
Arbor Elf Ramp
Timberpack Wolf Little guy
Knight of Infamy Black seems open
Bloodthrone Vampire really good in B/W/x exalted
Plummet Kill
Guardians of Akrasa exalted
Disentomb I like to recur stuff
Revive sure.
Giant Scorpion stall until I get fatty
Hydrosurge whatevs
Serpent's Gift whatevs
Island whatevs

Round 2:
Primordial Hydra OOOOOoooohhhh.
Oblivion Ring Can't pass this
Duskdale Wurm $.$ =DDD  I guess green is more a primary color for me
Ring of Kalonia Sure, nothing better for me here.
Arbor Elf Moar rampy
Rancor O.O =D
Ranger's Path Ramp
Bladetusk Boar I know, I know, I love this card too much.  Mebe try to force R/G?
Torch Fiend attempting to force R/G
Krenko's Command attempting to force R/G
Disentomb splash black?
Bond Beetle sure.
Volcanic Strength probably won't end up in the final deck, but why not
Erase whatevs
Forest whatevs

Round 3:
Ajani, Caller of the Pride O.O...can't pass this. But I don't know if I can play it either
Acidic Slime toolbox
Deadly Recluse stall
Essence Drain Kill
Cower in Fear kill...but I probably won't play it due to color weight
Gem of Becoming color fixins
Dragonskull Summit color fixins
Yeva's Forcemage filler
Dark Favor eh...
Plummet kill
Bond Beetle filler
Bountiful Harvest whatevs
Wall of Fire hm....not bad.
Smelt whatevs
Mountain whatevs

Creatures (16)

Non-Creatures (7)
[deck]
1x Rancor
1x Plummet
1x Revive
1x Ring of Kalonia
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Ajani, Caller of the Pride
1x Ranger's Path
[/deck]

Lands (17)
[deck]
8x Forest
5x Plains
4x Mountain
[/deck]

I'm being a greedy greedy man, but I think my ratios will work out.  I have 8 forests for 15 green spells (of which 4 are double weight) plus 3 spells that ramp my green mana sources.  I'm splashing 5 plains for 4 white spells instead of 3-4 plains to account for the double weight on ajani and the fact that the guardians of akrasa are filling a vital hole in my creature curve.  Red I'm tacking in 4 mountains for 3 single weight red spells, the only one of which I suspect might not come out on time is Krenko's command.  Hm...perhaps that should go out for my second plummet?  I dunno.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.