Crowdsourced Deckbuilding - A forum game

65 posts / 0 new
Last post
My wife and I were discussing childhood games today, and I brought up one of my favorites: two or more people each take turns saying a letter. The goal is to spell a word, one letter at a time. The longer the word, the better. Whoever finishes the word gets points equal to the words length. It was fun, and challenged your vocabulary. I wanted to try something similar to deckbuilding (only no points - everyone wins).

Here's how it works:

- I'm going to select one card and a quantity for it.
- The next person to post will take that card and add another card to the list (with quantity), using the deck tags to make it easy for everyone following.
- when we hit 60 cards, the deck is done and we get to marvel at our frankendeck.

For now, lets keep it Standard Legal to make it easy on everyone.

I have no idea what will happen. Maybe it will be fun, maybe not.

So, heres my card:

Go! 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I think I vaguely recall somethign similar to this happening when I first joined the forums.  Some one posted a Decklist to the effect of 60 Forests, and over the course of the thread a GB Rock deck was flushed out.

Why not, I'm game.

Creatures:
4 Wild Beastmaster
?

Spells:
4 Titanic Growth
4 Rancor
?

Lands:
?
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
This might be a boring pick, but I'll say Arbor Elf.

Creatures
4 Wild Beastmaster
4 Champion of Lambholt
4 Arbor Elf

Spells
4 Titanic Growth
4 Rancor
2 Parallel lives
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!

Creatures
4 Wild Beastmaster
4 Champion of Lambholt
4 Arbor Elf

Spells
4 Titanic Growth
4 Rancor
3 Parallel Lives

Consolidated the above with my last post.
Edit: Wow, things going too fast to keep up.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!

Creatures
4 Wild Beastmaster
4 Champion of Lambholt
4 Arbor Elf

Spells
4 Titanic Growth
4 Rancor
3 Parallel Lives

Consolidated the above with my last post.
Edit: Wow, things going too fast to keep up.

interesting since I edited to make up for it.

Edit:
Here's what we're at now.

4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Arbor Elf
4 Wild Beastmaster
4 Champion of Lambholt
2 Craterhoof Behemoth

4 Titanic Growth
4 Rancor
4 Slime Molding
3 Parallel Lives

My Decks
Ok, hold up guys, we have like 4 different lists now. Give me a few and I'll post a new base to work from. Honestly didn't expect back-to-back insta posts.

*edit* Nevermind, Anubuss beat me to it. Carry on (althought it looks like we are almost done). 
VRdragoon, wanna post the official deck so far? And I think we need more token producers- I'd rather the official deck include parallel lives instead of slime molding, since I misread the card ability at first.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
VRdragoon, wanna post the official deck so far? And I think we need more token producers- I'd rather the official deck include parallel lives instead of slime molding, since I misread the card ability at first.

I was wondering when that Parallel Lives got in.

Some one better make use of the nice White splash we now have thanks to the double up that started all of this.
My Decks

Edit:
Here's what we're at now.

4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Arbor Elf
4 Wild Beastmaster
4 Champion of Lambholt
2 Craterhoof Behemoth

4 Titanic Growth
4 Rancor
3 Parallel Lives

Here we go. Definately need some token produces for lives, and we only have about 7-8 spots left
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Arbor Elf
4 Wild Beastmaster
4 Champion of Lambholt
2 Craterhoof Behemoth

4 Titanic Growth
4 Rancor
3 Parallel Lives
4 Fungal Sprouting

There's the token producer. Vastly more efficient than the green/white I had in mind.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
This is funny stuff. I guess the casual forums really needed this. Good call VRdragoon!
Needs tokens to Parallel for, how about 2/4 Call of the Conclave?

4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Arbor Elf
4 Wild Beastmaster
4 Champion of Lambholt
2 Craterhoof Behemoth

4 Titanic Growth
4 Rancor
3 Parallel Lives
2/4 Call of the Conclave (I dont know which number would work best, i will let the next person choose)
4 Fungal Sprouting
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
When I saw rancor, I half expected an ethereal armor list to sprout, but instead we got some wild trampling ramp deal going on. with Fungal sprouting. I have a fun card for the next go around.

Candy, you missed Geek's Fungal sprouting in your list. add it back in please :D

When I saw rancor, I half expected an ethereal armor list to sprout, but instead we got some wild trampling ramp deal going on. with Fungal sprouting. I have a fun card for the next go around.

Candy, you missed Geek's Fungal sprouting in your list. add it back in please :D

The whole Standard Resrtiction as a bit too limiting.  I wanted so bad for my first card to be something that gave multiple combat steps.
My Decks
Needs mana ramp, but if this makes it to turn four, beware the Lambholt/parallel/fungal sprouting combo.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
With 8 Dorks, We're looking at turn 2 Lambholt.  I think we're good on ramp.  We really need land.
My Decks

The whole Standard Resrtiction as a bit too limiting.  I wanted so bad for my first card to be something that gave multiple combat steps.

Next one will be modern, opening things up a bit more. Just wanted a test round that didn't go too deep.

HERES THE CURRENT LIST:

My Decks
Probably can round it out with basic lands. I'm curious to see how this would play, provided nobody picks apart the component pieces. Lambholt's got a great big bullseye on her. If you cast Titanic Growth on anything the same turn as Fungal Sprouting...
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Probably can round it out with basic lands. I'm curious to see how this would play, provided nobody picks apart the component pieces. Lambholt's got a great big bullseye on her. If you cast Titanic Growth on anything the same turn as Fungal Sprouting...

Ideally you'd want to Growth Beastmaster and then swing.  Beastmaster passes 5+ power to everyone else and Lambholt says 6+ power creatures or smaller can't block.  Not a bad bit of damage.

Turn 1: land, Dork
Turn 2: land, Lambholt
Turn 3: Beastmaster
Turn 4: Growth Beastmaster, swing for 18

You add in a second Dork or Rancor on turn 3 and you have a possible turn 4 win.
My Decks
Yep, I think this one is done. Cool.

Deciding on the next card, which will be for Modern.

Ok, Here's what gatherer gave me. No idea where this will go, so should be pretty cool.

WEEEE 

Why only 3 Salvage?  Might as well have kicked us off with 4.

My Decks

Ideally you'd want to Growth Beastmaster and then swing.  Beastmaster passes 5+ power to everyone else and Lambholt says 6+ power creatures or smaller can't block.  Not a bad bit of damage.

Turn 1: land, Dork
Turn 2: land, Lambholt
Turn 3: Beastmaster
Turn 4: Growth Beastmaster, swing for 18

You add in a second Dork or Rancor on turn 3 and you have a possible turn 4 win.

Sort of anti-climactic, then, considering all the potential of the parallel lives and fungal sprouting. My inner Timmy calls- I want to see a 38+/36+ Lambholt with Rancor leading an army of 30 saprolings. "I attack with everything. Man, I wish there was still 'overkill ante'."
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Even in a dedicated deck, it seems situational. 3 felt right.

I like the snap thoughtseize. 
Even in a dedicated deck, it seems situational. 3 felt right.

I like the snap thoughtseize. 

It was either that or go Snapcaster Mage. (Hint, hint)
My Decks
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Why erasure?
Not a Bad Plan B, but we need a Plan A.

My Decks
Mill 'em through. Think how well it should interact with Burning Inquiry. And Dream Salvage. The other obvious card was Mind Rot, but I wanted to throw in a win condition.

And yeah, I'm just still returning to the game, so I don't have all the card knowledge I should have.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
No worries. Once again, I had a path in my head, and that was another track. The evolution of these is pretty fun to watch. 

Archivist because its rude with Caress out.
!

I just imagined Jace's Archivist into Dream Salvage with a Thousand-Year Elixir and Liliana's Caress in play.
My Decks
Sweet! The Rack is legal in modern. Let's add a few, shall we?

Archivist because its rude with Caress out.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Sign In to post comments