The Survival of Taer Lian Doresh

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've read the Explore Taer Lian Doresh articles in Dungeon 178, 181, and 184. I've read The Fading Dream (A good novel, for those wondering). I'm a 3.5 DM, but I've even read the relevant 4E sections on the Eladrin. In none of these locations have I found anything to answer a question of mine:

How did Taer Lian Doresh survive the Turning of the Age? For the Giants to have physically shunted the city to Dal Quor, it had to be before they used the Moonbreaker. And since the previous Age has since turned to il-Lashtavar, Taer Lian Doresh must have been present on Dal Quor when the plane reformed. Is it simply that the Turning of the Age doesn't wipe the slate clean entirely? And that the fringe inhabitants of the plane survive? Is it merely the Quori themselves who are obliterated then recreated and nothing else suffers this fate?
Call me Ender.
Possible. Another possibility is that the spire is not fully part of Dal Quor. It still also exists in Thelanis and occassionaly Eberron. Hence, it was protected against the Moonbreaker magic and the reformation.
I was under the impression that the city was wholly moved from it's joint Thelanis/Eberron location and into Dal Quor and that it was only after the Mourning that it returned to Eberron (though no longer part of Thelanis).
Call me Ender.
Perhaps the Turn of the Age was what twisted the people of the Feyspire into Wyrd? That's what I went with.

It might have even been Taer Lian Doresh which allowed for Taratai to discover the nature of Quor Tarai
Perhaps the Turn of the Age was what twisted the people of the Feyspire into Wyrd?

Ah! That would make more sense, considering it would originally have been shunted into Dal Quor in the age before il-Lashtavar, which seems like it may have been an age of light, if we believe Shira. The Turning of the Age comes and reforms everything as nightmare, turning the eladrin into nightmarish versions of their former selves. I like that.
Call me Ender.
That's a great explanation, but it lacks explanation of a small detail: The quori during the Turn of the Age were not just transformed - they were completely erased and then reformed (more on this in The Gates of Night) as it also happens today when/if the last kalashtar of a certain quori is killed.

This would require that the Turn actually only fully affected the quori, since Shae Doresh contained many of the very individuals that later appeared in The Fading Dream - and that the feyspire's inhabitants were only affected by it in a minor fashion, or as a side effect from prolonged exposure to il-Lashtavar quori.

It would make for an interesting campaign to attempt the Turning of the Age again (as per the Path of Light) since it could help restore Taer Lian Doresh and its inhabitants to its former glory. 
Well, if you want my take:

Dal Quor has a fundamental spirit - an entity that infuses the entire plane. It is more focused and powerful as you move to the center of the plane, where the shape of the realm reflects its desires. As you move to the fringes, the plane is more shaped by the subconscious whims of the mortal (and other) spirits that pass through it. This is where the rebellious Kalashtar first hid; even though they were in Dal Quor, il-Lashtavar doesn't have full control or knowledge of the fringes.

All quori are aspects and lesser reflections of that core spirit. When a quori dies, it is pulled back into the core spirit and then spit back out again.

Currently, the core spirit is il-Lashtavar, the Great Darkness That Dreams.

The "turn of the age" is nothing more or less than the evolution of the core spirit. This evolution will physically transform the heart of the realm and it will transform all quori, as they are reflections of the spirit. However, it doesn't innately affect the foreign spirits inhabiting the fringes, from mortal dreamers to the Fading Dream to the Draconic Eidolon seen in The Gates of Night.

With that said, the fundamental nature of the realm will likely have an effect on anything that lives there long-term. As such, the current bleak form of the Lian Doresh fey is a reflection of their long tenure in the age of nightmare. If the age turned, it wouldn't instantly transform them as it would the quori, because they aren't directly linked to il-Lashtavar. But over time, if the next age was brighter, they too might become more benevolent. 
Sign In to post comments