Curse of Undeath

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
 Okay, just got home and unwrapped the Curse of Undeath box. Quickly looked through the Creature Cards and then tore into the Order Cards.
 Okay, does Wizards of the Coast even play test these things? I can see Curse of Undeath quickly becoming a player favorite because HOLY CRAP some of these cards are going to be overpowered, especially if you can manage to get 4 of them into your deck.

Call to Battle: Level 3 CHA, Minor - Attach this card to this creature - As a Standard Action deploy 1 creature now. If this creature is in a magic circle, gain 1 Morale.
 Hulking Attack: Level 2 CON, Standard - Make a Melee attack that deals Weapon +10 damage. If the target takes damage from this attack you gain 1 Morale.
 Magic Sword: Level 1 ANY, Minor - Attach this card to this creature - Damage from this creatures melee attacks cannot be prevented

And the most overpowered card yet

Terrifying Revalations: Level 6 CHA, Standard - Target Opponent loses 3 morale

Seriously? Yeah, it may be a level 6 card, but as soon as you get enough creatures onto the battlefield for an assist it's pretty much game over.

I am so looking forward to playing this against my friends.

please post the other order cards.  I know this is a big ask.
 You guys are lucky I'm on vacation. ;)

Unending Horde: Level 3 CHA, Minor - Each creature you control other than this creature shifts 3 squares
 Regenerate: Level 4 CON, Minor- Attach this card to this creature - Regenerate 10, at the start of it's controllers turn this creature heals 10 damage
 Gout of Fire: Level 3 INT, Standard - Requires Ranged, Make a ranged attack that deals Weapon + 20 damage
 Fear: Level 3 CHA, Minor - Dragon Affinity, Slide each adjacent creature 5 squares
 Death Grip: Level 1 ANY, Standard - Requires Undead, Make a melee atack that deals Weapon damage, + 10 for each Undead crature you control that is adjacent to the target.
 Necrotic Howl: Level 3 CHA, Minor - Required Undead, Deal 10 damage to each enemy creature adjacent to this creature
 Relentless Advance: Level 1 CON, Minor - This creature takes 10 damage to shift 5 squares
 Vampiric Touch: Level 3 INT, Standard - Vampire Affinity, Make a melee attack that deals 30 damage. If the target takes damage from this attack this creature heals 30 damage
 Careful Attack: Level 1 CON, Standard - Make a melee attack that deals Weapon + 10 damage. Attach this card to this creature - Remove this card to prevent 10 damage to this creature
 Defensive Advantage: Level 2 CON, Immediate - Prevent 20 damage to this creature from 1 source. Draw 1 Order Card
 Hypnotic Gaze: Level 3 CHA, Standard - Choose 1 enemy creature within 5 squares, Slide that creature 3 squares. Make a melee attack that deals Weapon + 20 damage.
 Unbreakable: Level 3 CON, Immediate - Prevent 50 damage to this creature from any 1 source.
 Warning Shout: Level 3 CHA, Immediate - Choose 1 allied creature within line of sight. Prevent 30 damage to that creature from 1 source.
 Spawn of Kyuss: Level 1 CON, Minor - Requires Undead. Attach this card to this creature. Each enemy creature that ends it's activation adjacent to this creature takes 10 damage.
 Cloud of Bats: Level 5 INT, Immediate - Vampire Affinity, Prevent all damage to this creature fro 1 source, then shift 6 squares.
 Corrosive Blood: Level 1 CON, Immediate - Requires Undead, Prevent 10 damage to this creature. Deal 10 damage to each tapped creature adjacent to this creature.
 Dimenson Door: Level 4 INT, Minor - Place this creature in any square within 8 squares. This creature does not need line of sight to target the square.
 Mage Armor: Level 1 INT, Minor - Attach this card to this creature. Tap to prevent 10 damage to this creature from 1 source.
 Dispell Magic: Level 3 INT, Minor - Choose this creature or any creature within 5 squares. The chosen creature removes 1 Order Card of your choice.

This deck rocks.

You guys are lucky I'm on vacation. ;)
 Regenerate: Level 4 CON, Minor- Attach this card to this creature - Regenerate 10, at the start of it's controllers turn this creature heals 10 damage

Defensive Advantage: Level 2 CON, Immediate - Prevent 20 damage to this creature from 1 source. Draw 1 Order Card

Hypnotic Gaze: Level 3 CHA, Standard - Choose 1 enemy creature within 5 squares, Slide that creature 3 squares. Make a melee attack that deals Weapon + 20 damage.

Unbreakable: Level 3 CON, Immediate - Prevent 50 damage to this creature from any 1 source.

Cloud of Bats: Level 5 INT, Immediate - Vampire Affinity, Prevent all damage to this creature fro 1 source, then shift 6 squares.

Corrosive Blood: Level 1 CON, Immediate - Requires Undead, Prevent 10 damage to this creature. Deal 10 damage to each tapped creature adjacent to this creature.

This deck rocks.

I am really excited to use the Vampire.  These are some order cards that I hope to put to use with him. Thanks for posting this!

Okay, does Wizards of the Coast even play test these things? I can see Curse of Undeath quickly becoming a player favorite because HOLY CRAP some of these cards are going to be overpowered, especially if you can manage to get 4 of them into your deck.

None of these cards seem overpowered to me. I like that a few of them are better than some I'm already playing in certain circumstances, while worse in other circumstances.   

Call to Battle: Level 3 CHA, Minor - Attach this card to this creature - As a Standard Action deploy 1 creature now. If this creature is in a magic circle, gain 1 Morale.

Being able to deploy in your own turn is good for sure. I play Snig the Axe as my main commander for that very reason. Here though you're trading your Standard action to deploy, and you need to invest a card. Ideally you want to be deploying guys that are larger than the guy you put this on, to get something out of the trade.

+1 Morale in Arcane Circle confirms that this is a card for slower, defensive warbands. Aggressive warbands are currently favored in the meta because controlling territory (to grab treasures or deny them to your opponent) is key. This gives you an edge in the long games, because it makes it so you can turtle down and pump up Morale each turn if your opponent doesn't interfere. I think controllish cards are a good thing for the game, in the long run. Aggressive bands will not want to play this because they will not want to spend the time to use it.

Hulking Attack: Level 2 CON, Standard - Make a Melee attack that deals Weapon +10 damage. If the target takes damage from this attack you gain 1 Morale.

I was hesitating about playing Zombies or Skeletons in my first Undead warband and I think I just got my answer.

In your average warband this translates to "Make a Melee +10. If the target takes damage, heal 20 HP.", which is already a card from Tyranny of Goblins I believe. It's better in Undead because 1 Morale is worth more than 20 HP for them, but in CON warbands that play guys like Dwarf Defender/Cleric or Feral Troll, you'd rather have the heal 20 HP card because 20 HP on the board and in combat-ready position is better than 1 Morale in the bank.

Magic Sword: Level 1 ANY, Minor - Attach this card to this creature - Damage from this creatures melee attacks cannot be prevented

Nice card. Good against DEX warbands, sort of useless against CON since they heal more than they prevent.  It denies defense from STR but STR is more about offense anyway, and you'll still get to use your damage prevention against other creatures so your card isn't lost. 

Terrifying Revalations: Level 6 CHA, Standard - Target Opponent loses 3 morale

When translated, it doesn't sound as bad: "Level 6 CHA, Standard: Range (infinite) attack 60." In general, Killing Strike and Sneak Attack are both better. You pay a big premium in order for it to do the damage directly to Morale instead of HP.

Unending Horde: Level 3 CHA, Minor - Each creature you control other than this creature shifts 3 squares

New favorite card for my goblins deck. Less first turn Goblin Wolf Rider munching on mages than with Forward the Horde, but a lot more Cutters getting to jump unsuspecting foes.
Of the order cards mentioned so far here is the breakdown:

Constitution: 8
Intelligence: 6
Charisma: 6
Any: 2

Out of 36 cards this accounts for 22 of them.  That leaves 14 unaccounted for.  That means 64% of the cards mentioned come in this faction set are doubles. 

But the breakdown requires more numbers.  
Dragon Affinity: 1
Vampire Affinity: 2
Undead Required: 4

And each order card also requires a different level creature:
Level One: 7
Level Two: 2
Level Three: 9
Level Four: 2
Level Five: 1
Level Six: 1
If I examine the goblin deck in the same way as the undead faction pack is above, I find:

Dexterity: 5
Constitution: 6
Intelligence: 3
Charisma: 5
Any: 5

Requires Humanoid: 2

Level One: 15
Level Two: 3
Level Three: 5
Level Four: 1 

Breaking down the Heart of Cormyr order cards the same way that I did the undead set I discover:
Strength: 12
Dexterity: 1
Intelligence: 5
Any: 7

Requires Adventerer: 1

Level One: 12
Level Two: 6
Level Three: 3
Level Four: 3
Level Five: 1

Here are the drow order card statistics:
Dexterity: 16
Intelligence: 2
Wisdom: 2
Any: 2 

Drow Affinity: 1
Spider Affinity: 1 
Requires Evil: 1

Level One: 8
Level Two: 10
Level Three: 3
Level Six: 1

Tyranny of Goblins 12 pairs of cards (meaning 50% of the cards come as pairs).  Heart of Cormyr has eleven pairs of cards (44%), while Sting of Lolth and Curse of Undeath both have 14 pairs (64%). 

When I compare all the order cards of these faction sets I come to the conclusion that Curse of Undeath offers the highest level of order cards, which is what I had been hoping for.
This is a list of all the order cards from Curse of Undeath. In parenthesis I have numerated each card type.  

Constitution (13) (36%)

Careful Attack: Level 1 CON, Standard - Make a melee attack that deals Weapon + 10 damage. Attach this card to this creature - Remove this card to prevent 10 damage to this creature (2)

Corrosive Blood: Level 1 CON, Immediate - Requires Undead, Prevent 10 damage to this creature. Deal 10 damage to each tapped creature adjacent to this creature. (1)

Relentless Advance: Level 1 CON, Minor - This creature takes 10 damage to shift 5 squares (2)

Spawn of Kyuss: Level 1 CON, Minor - Requires Undead. Attach this card to this creature. Each enemy creature that ends it's activation adjacent to this creature takes 10 damage. (1)

Defensive Advantage: Level 2 CON, Immediate - Prevent 20 damage to this creature from 1 source. Draw 1 Order Card (2)

Hulking Attack: Level 2 CON, Standard - Make a Melee attack that deals Weapon +10 damage. If the target takes damage from this attack you gain 1 Morale. (2)

Unbreakable: Level 3 CON, Immediate - Prevent 50 damage to this creature from any 1 source. (2)

Regenerate: Level 4 CON, Minor- Attach this card to this creature - Regenerate 10, at the start of it's controllers turn this creature heals 10 damage (1)

Intelligence (9) (25%)
 Mage Armor: Level 1 INT, Minor - Attach this card to this creature. Tap to prevent 10 damage to this creature from 1 source. (2)

Dispell Magic: Level 3 INT, Minor - Choose this creature or any creature within 5 squares. The chosen creature removes 1 Order Card of your choice. (1)

Gout of Fire: Level 3 INT, Standard - Requires Ranged, Make a ranged attack that deals Weapon + 20 damage (2)

Vampiric Touch: Level 3 INT, Standard - Vampire Affinity, Make a melee attack that deals 30 damage. If the target takes damage from this attack this creature heals 30 damage (2)

Dimenson Door: Level 4 INT, Minor - Place this creature in any square within 8 squares. This creature does not need line of sight to target the square. (1)

Cloud of Bats: Level 5 INT, Immediate - Vampire Affinity, Prevent all damage to this creature fro 1 source, then shift 6 squares. (1)

Charisma (11) (31%)
Call to Battle: Level 3 CHA, Minor - Attach this card to this creature - As a Standard Action deploy 1 creature now. If this creature is in a magic circle, gain 1 Morale. (1)

Fear: Level 3 CHA, Minor - Dragon Affinity, Slide each adjacent creature 5 squares (2)

Hypnotic Gaze: Level 3 CHA, Standard - Choose 1 enemy creature within 5 squares, Slide that creature 3 squares. Make a melee attack that deals Weapon + 20 damage. (2)

Necrotic Howl: Level 3 CHA, Minor - Required Undead, Deal 10 damage to each enemy creature adjacent to this creature (2)

Unending Horde: Level 3 CHA, Minor - Each creature you control other than this creature shifts 3 squares (1)

Warning Shout: Level 3 CHA, Immediate - Choose 1 allied creature within line of sight. Prevent 30 damage to that creature from 1 source. (2)

Terrifying Revalations: Level 6 CHA, Standard - Target Opponent loses 3 morale (1)

Any (3) (8%)
Magic Sword: Level 1 ANY, Minor - Attach this card to this creature - Damage from this creatures melee attacks cannot be prevented (1)

Death Grip: Level 1 ANY, Standard - Requires Undead, Make a melee atack that deals Weapon damage, + 10 for each Undead crature you control that is adjacent to the target. (2)
Truthspeaker, you apparently have even more time on your hands than I do. ;)

DarkAngel1979, in regards to your comments about Terrifying Revalations. While I haven't had the opportunity to playtest it, I would disagree that Killing Strike and Sneak Attack are better. Granted they are pretty much instant kills (providing your opponent doesn't pull out some of the heavy defense cards), but they both require you to be in melee range. Terrifying Revelations does not even require line of sight. If I manage to pull on in my opening hand, I could drop my opponent by 3 Morale before they've reached their first Treasure Token; and there are no Order Cards that can prevent it. That's 3 Morale down before we've had our first skirmish, and I can continue to do that at any time I happen to be out of range, until my 4 cards are used up. That's a guaranteed 12 Morale loss that cannot be prevented. That's a pretty hefty chunk of Morale to loose no matter which way you slice it.
Killling Strike can one-shot a level 4 and possibly a level 5 as well. Even if you use it to one-shot a level 3, you'll be even on Morale but gotten rid of a figure on the board, which is better.

The point is that it's not an overpowered card. The cost to use it without range or possibility of being prevented is hefty.
I'll agree that getting rid of a creature + loss of Morale is better than just the loss of Morale that you get from the Terrifying Revalations card; but I've also been in the position where no attack options were possible (out of range, forced retreat, trying to rebuild) and this card allows a player to attack unopposed in those situations without any fear of prevention or retaliation.

I did see your posted Warband in the other thread, let us know how it goes. I was hoping to get in a game this afternoon but now that looks unlikely.  
I did see your posted Warband in the other thread, let us know how it goes. I was hoping to get in a game this afternoon but now that looks unlikely.  

It's probably going to suck to be honest. lol. Each set release I'm trying to stretch the game to its breaking point in a different direction. It worked for the goblins but I'm unsure it's going to work again, possibly because I feel I'm going against the very fundamentals I found made the goblins deck work.

My first issue is that I think it's likely you want either Zombies or Skeletons but not both. There were a few level 2 cards I wanted to play but shy'd away from because with only 3 creatures and 3 order cards it's easy to get stuff you can't play. So I have two categories of cards, stuff for my CON guys and stuff for my INT/CHA guys. Anything that can't be played by the full range of either of those groups must be cut.

My second issue is that I'm unsure if I built right the amount of aggression in the deck. I guess the undead are inherently defensive so I wanted to balance that out with really good offensive cards, but it may be that the best bet would have been to go full out defense to *really* stretch the game to its breaking point. The other Commander would have been better for that, though. And it would probably prefer Skeletons over Zombies.

My third issue is that the Vampire is really sexy and I wish I could build a warband around him, but I can only play one this weekend. Also, I need to pick a third one (possibly a fourth) if I'm doing that. I'm seeing a cool warband involving Vampire and other CON bruisers, or Vampire and Howling Spirit CHA band with lots of Hypnotic Gaze shenanigans (it might even be one warband where Goblin Champion is actually good).

And fourth, I'm stuck playing one warband like I said, and I finally have ideas to improve my Goblins. I want to try and cut those 2x Wolf Riders and my lone Goblin Champion for Shadow Mastiff, the third Hobgoblin Sorcerer and the fourth Goblin Archer, and see if 3x Sorcerers is enough CHA/INT guys for the band to work out. Somebody on another thread pointed out the Snig the Axe/Mastiff combo and that's tons better than the level 4 I'm already playing, since I'm playing it to hunt down ranged attackers anyway.
 Yeah, I tend to build my Warbands for "Tribal". I've been trying to build the best of each faction without doing a lot of mixing and matching between sets, although I do have a few ideas.
 I'd like to build an all ranged Warband, buy pulling all the ranged DEX from each faction pack. I usually have a lot of luck by attacking at range and using that to stay as far away as possible, whittling down my opponent before they can close.

But the one I'd really like to try would be an all INT Warband. It would be a high end/expensive deck, as the lowest level INT creatures we have at the moment are level 3. It would probably suck, but I'd like to try it all the same. ;)   
I really want to like this warband out of the box but after months of playing it I have decided it's the weakest one in the game. It definately has good order cards and the minis are of awesome quality but I can't seem to win against my opponent who plays a super cormyr deck (4 clerics, archers, and defender,2 of every other adventurer and two cormyr order decks mashed together. 
My Dark Sun Campaign "Shards of a Broken Crown" http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shards-of-a-broken-crown
I really want to like this warband out of the box but after months of playing it I have decided it's the weakest one in the game. It definately has good order cards and the minis are of awesome quality but I can't seem to win against my opponent who plays a super cormyr deck (4 clerics, archers, and defender,2 of every other adventurer and two cormyr order decks mashed together. 

It sounds to me like you are saying that your Curse of Undeath set is weaker than custom built set, which your friend made.  Basically, the five warbands are more or less balanced.   However, once players start cusomizing new armies, you shold expect balance to disappear.  I have only battled against a customized army once and I found out the hard way that my designer army was too slow, while my friend was able to attack me from a distance.

A second issue in playing this game is in game strategy, which is to say that it is not enough to have a solid army, but you also need to know how to use your army.  I have been operating on the assumption that I haven't mastered playing 'Goblins of Tyranny' yet.  They are a mentally challenging warband, while the 'Sting of Lolth' set is strait forward.  On the other hand, the reason I loose with the goblins could just be that they are weaker, but I would have no way to tell the difference, because I am not an amazing strategist (at least not in Dungeon Command; though I am getting better).

Necroing a thread about Curse of Undeath.

How appropriate!

I managed my first game with the Undead set against my daughter’s boyfriend a few weeks ago. For the record, he played Goblins, and we both used out of the box Warbands.

While it’s been days since the game, I do remember a few specifics.

Terrifying Revelations: Since we were both down to 2 Morale at the end of the game, was definitely a game changer. I probably would have lost if not for this card. While the arguments against it in this thread are probably valid, it definitely has its place in the game.

Magic Sword: I attached this to my 4 armed skeleton (can’t remember the unit’s name off hand). He tried to mass Goblins against me, but I put him square in the middle of his pack and managed to hit 4 Goblins at once; and managed to kill two of them no less. I also managed to keep him alive for an extra turn and got in a few extra whacks with him. He managed to be the most lethal unit in this particular game.

The rest of the game was pretty standard. I chose the Leader that gave you additional Leadership when you killed a unit. Started off slow, but I got eventually had a pretty big Warband advantage later in the game.

Sign In to post comments