EDH - A Confederate Endeavor

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
I got tired of the words "Community Project". So, this is the thread for the project. As a little introduction, know that you are welcome here. Post ideas. Voice opinions. Whatever. The plan is to make five decks. Each of 100 cards. There will be a little reprinting hither and thither - but this being the YMtC forum, I'd prefer to steer as clearly as possible away from such nonsense. If we do reprint something, the least we can do is give it new flavour text.

So, Welcome. Check out the place at your leisure. I'll add more words up here later. Most likely mechanics and themes once we've figured those out.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Generals

Fluxus, The Shifting Tide :W::U::B::R::
Legendary Creature - Elemenal
Whenever you gain life or an opponent loses life put that many +1/+1 counters on ~.
Whenever you lose life or an opponent gains life remove that many +1/+1 counters from ~.
At the end of your turn remove all +1/+1 counters from ~.
2/2

Wubram, Sublime Diety :W::U::B::R:
Legendary Creaure - Spirit
Flying, vigilance,  deathtouch
Whenever a nonland permanent enters the battlefield under your control sacrifice it or sacrifice ~.
Whenever Wubram the Great attacks it deals two damage to target creature or player.
5/5

Kode, the Repossessor
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem
When ~ attacks, gain control of target artifact until end of turn. Untap it and it gains haste until end of turn.
: Change ~'s text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each" until end of turn.
: Change ~'s text by replacing all instances of "artifact" with "creature" until end of turn.
4/4

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Generals

Mater, Daughter of Unum
Legendary Creature - Spirit
Mater, Daughter of Unum is indestructible.
When Mater, Daugther of Unum enters the battlefield from the command zone, destroy target permanent.
4/4

Alada Mara
Legendary Creature -- Plant
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 0/1 green Plant creature token onto the battlefield for each mana spent to cast it.
Whenever a spell targets ~, you may change the target of that spell to another Plant instead.
Here, there is no forest--only the great banyan.
3/3

Nodarmu, Glimpse of War
Legendary Creature - Spirit Warrior
Haste
~ gets +0/+1 for each you have spent this turn.
~ gets +1/+0 for each you have spent this turn.
1/1

139359831 wrote:
Generals

Nexlevzu -
Legendary Creature - Beast
Creatures and spells you control with converted manacost 4 or less have hexproof.
5/5

Epimel, the Cleanser
Legendary Creature - Dryad Druid
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile any number of cards from any graveyard.
When you control two or more spells, transform ~.
She unites the Bold and the Beautiful.
2/4
=============================================
Epimel, the Innocateur (:urm: )
Legendary Creature - Dryad Shaman
: Cast an instant or sorcery exiled by Epimel, the Cleanser without paying its mana cost.
She embodies the Young and and the Restless.
4/2

139359831 wrote:
Generals

Rectomni -
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put an enchantment card from your hand onto the battlefield. If you do, sacrifice Rectomni.
3/3

139359831 wrote:
Generals

Grub, the Overshadowed
Legendary Creature - Ooze
If a white spell or ability would cause ~ to leave the battlefield, put two +1/+1 counter on it instead.
Whenever a player cast a white spell, you may destroy target permanent.
When a hero stands in the light, he never see the long shadow he drags behind.
5/5

139359831 wrote:
thought you decided on the general?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Yeah, I'm editing those in now.

139359831 wrote:
So, I put in all the Generals that we have so far. Some of them may be subject to change or deletion. I made a bunch of suggestions when doing the grading. I didn't implement any (except one) yet, because I don't like messing with other peoples' designs without their permission. So feel free to check that out. I think the next step is mechanics.

I'll probably do that in contest format as well.

I'll also open the door to anyone who wants to submit more Generals. We still need six more. I'm going to see what I can come up with, as well.

139359831 wrote:
Shifting Arcane
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Player
Choose a color and a basic land type.
Spells enchanted player cast are of the chosen color.
Lands enchanted player controls that could produce the chosen color is the chosen land type.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Ancestral Catalog
Sorcery
Search your library for an artifact or enchantment card. Put it into your hand and shuffle your library.
Frabricated ideals. 

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
i'm so proud of grub, the only general selected for nonwhites. Did you know why I name him grub?

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Shifting Arcane
Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Player
Lands enchanted player controls that could produce the chosen color is the chosen land type.

Shifting Arcane
Enchantment - Aura Arcane
Enchant Player
Choose a color with the basic land type that produces mana of that color
Lands target play control are that basic land type.
Nonland cards target play  owns that aren't on the battlefield, spells target player controls, and nonland permanents target player control are of the choisen color.
Target Player may spend the chosen color of mana as though it were mana of any color.

Spliced in Celestial Dawn

NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

So is this suppoused to be the open submissions + results so far thread?

Should we decide on deck themes before or after designing some cards. Personally, I say we should wait and see where the first batch of submissions point us.

Anyways...
Instructor's Insight :U:
Sorcery
Target opponent draws a card.
Target opponent draws two cards.
Target player draws three cards.
The wisest men are not teachers because wise men become teachers. Teachers are the wisest men because they teach.

Edit- alt. flav. text: The wise do not become teachers. Teachers become the wise.
So much simpler

I originally intended this as part of the incremental cycle but didn't want to cost it at 3CC.
Anyways, it's a highly political source of card draw, perfect for Commander.
I'm open to reduce the mana cost as well.
Shifting Arcane
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Player

Dear God no.

"Hey, I'm gonna play my mono red godo, bandit warlord deck!

"Shifting arcane on you, choosing red and island."

*weeps*

Basically, this card turns someone else's game into "Do nothing until someone kills you out of mercy." 
I hate dogs.
i'm so proud of grub, the only general selected for nonwhites. Did you know why I name him grub?

I think I know. Take a look at some of my entries, I had the same idea.
I think this'd be a fun and interesting spell

Sudden Bombing

Sorcery

Destroy target permanent.

When you overload ~, ~ can't be countered or exiled.

Overload  
This should be renamed, as I find "confederate endeavor" to be offensive.  I'm pretty sure my great-great-great grandfather on my Mom's side was a slave.

And sudden bombing should read "~ can't be countered if you paid its overload cost" or something.  Actually, it should read "~'s overload cost can't be paid" because when you ask people what the most fun thing about EDH is, they NEVER say "sweepers", "mass LD", or, god forbid, "complete board resets". 
I hate dogs.
That's ridiculous. Sorry. The word "Confederate" is not offensive - you should not feel offended. This project has nothing to do w/the Southern War for Independence. You should look up the definition of Confederate.

As for individual card submissions, I'm fine w/them. They won't automatically get in. If two or more people comment on a single card - and the comment is something along the lines of "This should certainly be included." Then it'll probably be put in. But this is really more along the lines of "Post when inspiration strikes you" and "Talk about the themes and strategies each deck should employ."

TP, I actually do like your card. Vision Skeins-esque but cooler. I think it is costed just fine. I appreciate underpowered cards that do cool things. I'd put it in the Non-Black one, because it has a focus on Instants/Sorceries and CMC<4.

139359831 wrote:
This should be renamed, as I find "confederate endeavor" to be offensive.  I'm pretty sure my great-great-great grandfather on my Mom's side was a slave.

And sudden bombing should read "~ can't be countered if you paid its overload cost" or something.  Actually, it should read "~'s overload cost can't be paid" because when you ask people what the most fun thing about EDH is, they NEVER say "sweepers", "mass LD", or, god forbid, "complete board resets". 

hey you submitted to the KKK contest : P

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
@TPmanW: As for your wording, compare with Incremental Growth + Incremental Blight.. I don't think that the restrictions on what ability targets "opponents" + "players" are absolutely necessary..
@TPmanW: As for your wording, compare with Incremental Growth + Incremental Blight.. I don't think that the restrictions on what ability targets "opponents" + "players" are absolutely necessary..

I figured I would just give up on making it part of the incremental cycle. This wouldn't fit at 5 cmc like the others unless maybe it targeted three different players, in which case the spell would be unresolvable in a 2 person game. I still liked the 1, 2 , 3 aspect of the card though and thought it would be great in multiplayer.
Good point, your version is actually fine!
Let's examine what we need.

It's looking like the deck has a bit of a crazy combo angle to it.

• Fluxus like lifegain and direct damage.

• Wubram likes a deck full of instants and sorceries.

• Kode wants lots of mana (hard in a non:G: deck) and for your opponents to have cool artifacts/creatures. So maybe something like the hunted cycle is in order?

• Both Kode and Fluxus wouldn't mind equipment or enchantments to give them abilities and bigger bodies. Kode wants evasion in particular.

looks like it wants to be a fairly straight forward deck. It's violent ultimatum in deck form. Other decks are fancy this one revels in the simple act of smashing stuff.

• Alada wants something to beef up all those plant tokens. Good thing she's in :W: and :G:. Could be apotential theme

• Nodarmu wants to be part of an aggesive deck with big :W: and :B: spells or abilities.

• Mater doesn't mind going back to the command zone and Alada makes more tokens every time it comes back from there. A couple of sacrifice effects could work wonders.

I don't want to specualte on the decks without three generals.

when you ask people what the most fun thing about EDH is, they NEVER say "sweepers", "mass LD", or, god forbid, "complete board resets". 

that's how I play EDH. If you have a problem with the cards being suggested, you are more than welcome to bugger off.
Collective Blessing seems pretty good in the deck.  Violent Ultimatum and Titanic Ultimatum seem fun as well.

Also, problem with Mater, Daughter of Unum.  She doesn't enter the battlefield from the command zone; she enters from the stack (see the last ruling on Flayer of the Hatebound).  I think what we want here is "When ~ enters the battlefield, if you cast it from a zone other than your hand, destroy target permanent." This way, its ability isn't exclusive to Commander.
Collective Blessing seems pretty good in the deck.  Violent Ultimatum and Titanic Ultimatum seem fun as well.

Also, problem with Mater, Daughter of Unum.  She doesn't enter the battlefield from the command zone; she enters from the stack (see the last ruling on Flayer of the Hatebound).  I think what we want here is "When ~ enters the battlefield, if you cast it from a zone other than your hand, destroy target permanent." This way, its ability isn't exclusive to Commander.

There will be a little reprinting hither and thither - but this being the YMtC forum, I'd prefer to steer as clearly as possible away from such nonsense. If we do reprint something, the least we can do is give it new flavour text.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Unfortunately, the mana symbols on your suggested reprints make it very hard to play the card in four-color decks..
When you cast ~ from the command zone, destroy target permanent.

It's a counterspell difference.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Huh, I suppose I assumed that this would be like the Commander product, where it was mostly reprints with some new cards.
W/r/t Discussion of Dudibus's card: The issue with the "from the command zone" thing is that the creature becomes your default General. Where the other decks have three to choose from, this one has only one - either that or an almost useless creature. . . unless. . .

Mater, Daughter of Unum
Legendary Creature - Spirit
Mater, Daughter of Unum is indestructible.
When Mater, Daugther of Unum enters the battlefield from the command zone, destroy target permanent.
If Mater, Daughter of Unum would enter a graveyard from the battlefield, you may have her enter the command zone instead.
4/4

Although, to be honest, I still prefer it being "anywhere except your hand" or whatever.

EyeballFrog, I was anticipating about 12 reprints in each deck. Some of those probably being lands.

TPmanW, nicely done. Yeah, I'm seeing some heavy instant/sorcery-type stuff in the non-green deck. Not to mention graveyard stuff. I really like that Wubram guy. I would totally play him so hard. Anyway, those little blurbs are useful - I might copy them into some sort of Summary-type thing for each deck. I think you're spot on with the Non-Green. Non-Blue is some straight beatdown. I can see a lot of mana+boosters. I'd maybe see a variation on your standard anthem. Something like an Enchantment w/ "Whenever you add mana to your mana pool, each creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn" Although of course that would be much more expensive than your standard Anthem. I could see Exalted being a word in this one. And that's a good point about the other Generals. I will try to think of a couple today or find my old ones.

On that note, of course other General submissions are still welcome. And editing the originals is still in-process. If anyone has suggestions on new or old, they're all welcome. Some of our generals lack synergy w/eachother (though surprisingly few) - and that could be worked out.

139359831 wrote:
I think that effectively becomes exile. Coz' I assume you can't cast noncommander card from your commander zone.

Casting your commander from the commander zone should be a priviledge. 

And otherwise, how do you handle the more to cast each time it enters the commander zone? do you just have two commander in that sense?

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Some ideas

High Note :R:
Instant
Destroy any number of target artifacts with total converted mana cost of one or less.
Funny how the most valuable things are also the most fragile.

• Something for Legacy fans. Can only really get printed if the decks have cheap artifacts though.

• For the love of god help me rename this.

Prismatic Filter
Artifact
Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast for each of their colors.
:T:: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Communal Grounds
Land
:T:: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Each other playermay untap a basic land they control.
   Don't know which deck wants this the most. Give it to th one that picks up the most political type cards I guess?

Afterlife Exchange :W::B:
Sorcery
Each player returns a creature from their graveyard to the battlefield then sacrifices a creature.

•     Might want to hold back on this until we see if a graveyard deck emerges.

Crystal Masoleum
Land
:T:: Add 1 to your mana pool.
If a creature died this turn Crystal Masoleum has “T: Add on mana of any color to your mana pool”.

• More grave love

Aegis Field :R::W:
Enchantment
Flash
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to attacking creatures.

• Why is everything double spaced all of a sudden? fixed

• This might pair well with Kode. I'm skeptical as to whether it's more fun with the card applying to everyone.

I did some work on a Legends matter set. Looking through the file I found some good stuff for edh.

Nice beatdown card:
Renewed Assault :W::R:
Sorcery
After this main phase there is an extra combat phase followed by an extra main phase. During this combat phase prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to creatures you control.

Wubram would like this. A personal favourite of mine.
Combat By Champion :R::R:
Enchantment
Each creature with the highest converted mana cost gets +3/+3 and must attack each turn if able.
There they dueled for three straight days, until on the fourth a victor arose.

Should we reprint Command Tower? I figure that and Sol Ring are the only two real shoe-ins.

How about a new set of dual lands? Since this is commander I propose a cycle with this wording:
:T:: Add A or B to your mana pool. Use this ability only if you control three or more lands.
:T:: Add to your mana pool.
@ felisdomesticus: You do realize that the American Civil War was actually about the power that State Governments had over Federal Government, right? Heck, it wasn't even about slavery until Lincoln put into effect the Emancipation Proclamation, which didn't do jack (confederate states said "lolno", union states were unaffected) except keep the UK/Britain from helping the South out.

And even if the ACW was about slavery, confederate is an actual word with an actual definition.

In honor of this post, a card for any EDH

Teach -
Sorcery
Each opponent draws a card, then you draw cards equal the number of cards drawn this way.
"The More You Know . . ."
i <3 teach

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Well, Theatog, the rules are new and easily edited. But yeah, I agree with you kinda, although having a card like this:

Hero's Council
Enchantment
Whenever a Legend you control dies, you may send it to your Command Zone instead of the graveyard.

would be admittedly silly, but wouldn't it be fun as well? I mean we're designing a product made to be enjoyable, not competitive. Anyway, tapping into that design space might be fun, but I personally would like to keep it minimal.

TPmanW: You like making cards, eh?

Okay, let me sift through these. . . High note is okay. You were thinking non-Green? I can see it being used there with Kode. Like, if we made cards that gave others Artifact Creature Tokens. Like "Gain 10 life and put a 10/10 colourless Artifact creature token into play under target opponent's control." Then, should anything happen to Kode, you could always take out the token? Other than that, this card doesn't seem that useful to me. I mean with out some kind of combo. Except in Legacy. But this is EDH.

Prismatic Filter is cool. Pretty standard. I'd be down to put that in.

Communal Grounds is fine as well. I dunno where it goes. Maybe we'll see a general has some kind of Basic Land thing - wait:

Helio, Land of Light
Legendary Land Creature - Mountain Forest Plains Island

"To be inside of her. One has never felt such a thing like this!"

0/1

I know it has nothing to do with your card, but what do you think?

Afterlife Exchange: Sure.

Crystal Mausoleum: I made a morbid land once. As I recall it won a little contest, from voting. So, I think it is safe to say that this card would be well received.

Aegis Field: I don't really like it, but if it is going to be a card, then it should apply to all players.

Renewed Assault: What about "The second combat phase is Legends Only!" Like "Untap all Legends" then do the thing?

Combat by Champion: Cool.

ELC: That's pretty badass. Might we change the cost to /? I just worry that in these four colour decks double blue might be more trouble than it is worth to pull off. But, yes - it is certainly a neat and elegant idea.

So, Questions for y'all:

What do you think of the Legend posted above?

Do you want a cycle of four colour lands?

I guess it was just two.

139359831 wrote:
4colored lands are silly. why not just play 5 colored lands lol
as for the legendary land itself... not a big fan. In a multiplayer game, creatures' average lifespan ~ 1.899 turns.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
For High Note I figured that a Commander set would be a good place to intoduce legacy relevant cards. I suppouse if it's a YMTC it doesn't really matter though. We're trying to build the best commander decks possible, not introduce cards into legacy without exposing standard to them first.

Yah, prismatic filter's pretty basic but I figured it was solid too. Just kind of sucks alongside 4 color genrals with no colorless costs, unless the rules allow it to reduce the extra cost of recasting a commander that's already been killed off.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Helio. Sorry dude.

Consider Aegis Field axed.

I could totally do a couple of legends matter cards if we want to make that a theme for one of the decks (or a subtheme for the whole set).

New card:
I'll name it later, shut up it's bed time
Artifact
:T:: Add of any color to your mana pool.
:, :T:: Add two mana of the color used to activate this ability to your mana pool.
Edit- Fixed up the above card. Now makes sense, may still suck.
That's cool. Theatog, it wouldn't be a problem a lot of the time, because you could just replay it at no cost. But, yeah. Maybe I'll just make a Legendary Land creature for one of me sets.

I would like to focus a little more on the other Generals. And before we have them, I think that designing cards solely for the two decks that we have would be priority.

Perhaps a little brainstorm on the kinds of effects that are totally Non-COLOUR?

I'm surprised none of the non-green ones include anything about flying. . . Because that was easy to think of. Let's see. . .
Non-Black

Non-Black:

• Anti-Destroy, Anti-Discard, and Anti-Lifeloss

• Anti-Tutor seems fun to me. Of course, every colour gets Tutors, and they are all popular in EDH, but Black is the Tutor colour. What about:

Legend

Legend Thing, maybe Shaman or Wiz.

Whenever an opponent casts a spell that allows him or her to search his or her library, each other player copies that spell w/o paying costs.

• Other ideas, things those colours have in common? Tokens, kinda, "All tokens have haste" and a token making ability? Like:

Legend

Legend thing, again probs a Shaman/Wiz.

Tokens have Haste

Whenever a spell is countered/you counter a spell, you may pay , if you do put some tokens of some kind onto the battleplace.

Also, that guy combos with Nexlevu.

Okay. . .

Non-White

• Maybe something to bash the tokens that some of these decks are developing?

• What about something about the destruction of Unity? Like. . .

Legend

Creature of Legendary Status

~ attacks each turn.

Whenever a creature attacks it's controller sacrifices a creature and puts X +1/+1 counters on the attacking creature.

• What else do I have? What about some sort of anti-Humility effect?

Legend

etc.

All creatures are 5/5 with Haste, Trample, Flying, and Deathtouch, or some combination of non-white abilities? I know that this helps out the token decks, but it looks kinda fun, and it certainly is the opposite of Humility.

Non-Red

• I dunno. Just throwing this out there. The non-Red one could be slightly tribal? It might be fun for some, because players (though not myself) like Tribal decks. The one we already have is a Human Wizard. I like Wizard tribal. . . It isn't really non-Red, but the idea of all these different Black, White, Blue, and Green Wizzers uniting in their common hatred of Red compels me.

"All Wizards cannot be dealt damage by instants or sorceries?" I'm actually into that. I can handle it if y'all shoot me down, but I think it is cute - and I usually loath lords.

• Alternatively, something to be a huge defensive wall? Because this isn't all about "Whenever BLANK" and "All BLANK"

"Creature - Wall or Something, oooh how about Wall Wizard?!

Defender maybe something else

~ can block any number of creatures. All damage that would be dealt to creatures you control from instnat and sorces is dealt to this guy instead.

• Obviously the two that I came with there can't be in a deck together, but there are other areas where this can go, other than just hosing Flame Slash.

• "Whenever a creature you control dies, choose one: Exile an instant or a sorcery card from target graveyard, or return an I or S to your hand"?

• Man, I can't get off of this fascination with Instants and Sorceries. . .

• Okay, "Each enter the battlefield effect is SOMETHING ELSE - like life gain, or mana, or card draw."

• What do y'all think of that last one?

Okay, lay it on me. I can take your criticism. Be honest and harsh. But most importantly, be harsh and honest.

139359831 wrote:
I like the idea of a nonwhite general that makes all creatures on the battlefield into great big keyword-ladden monstrosities. Almost seems nonblack/nonblue though. Certainly you have some wiggle room with what abilities the general grants and any restrictions on what creatures get those abilities and when. That could really swing the creature into whatever colors you want. Cool idea for a general.

Tribal might be cool but protection from instants/sorceries is a little too reactive for my tastes. What if you're up against a creature based deck? I guess it's not a huge deal if each deck comes with three possible generals though.
Sign In to post comments