Riku deck - draft

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just something I tossed together with cards on hand, Feel free to suggest cuts and new cards. It is a bit weak on the red side, in number of cards.

RPGtable username : RTiger

In general, you want stuff Riku can double.
If you have a card he can't double that can be replaced with one he can, those are your first cuts and replacements. Example: Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, and Prophetic Prism are all color fixing &/or deck thinning. But you should be better off with any of  Sylvan Ranger, Silhana Starfletcher, Quirion Explorer, Quirion Elves, &/or Explosive Vegetation because Riku can potentially double their effects.
You have a lot of counterspells. Sure, they can stop horrible things from happening to you or the board. But there's no point to Riku doubling them unless someone counters your counter. If while playing the deck you find that you are not using them as much as you anticipated, maybe replace some with cheap effects for Riku to double.

Speaking of counterspells, Syncopate is just a better version of your Power Sink

Replace the Gruul Signet with a Darksteel Ingot. The Simic and Izzet Signets have the colors to pay for Riku's abilities, while the Gruul is just ramp. Which the Darksteel does just as well while being indestructible.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Don't have a spare Ingot right now, but I do have Manalith

I don't think I would count 4 counterspells as being a lot.

The other cards I will need to look into. 

Find room for Deadeye Navigator.  It's a boss.
I suppose by 'counterspells', I meant 'blue tricks that Riku can't double'. Cancel, Power Sink, Mana Short, Spell Crumple, Redirect, and I suppose Invert the Skies would qualify. That's six, which isn't a huge amount I guess. But it's 10% of your non-land cards that Riku can't double. Add in enchantments, artifacts, and legendary creatures (I approve of your choices of legendaries, btw. Not picking on them at all) and over a third of your deck doesn't benefit from Riku.
As an example, in most decks, making a switch from Signets and Sol Ring to Alloy Myr, Palladium Myr, Iron Myr, Copper Myr, &/or Silver Myr would be a mistake due to your 'mana rocks' having double exposure to removal. But if Riku can double them, then you are essentially risking the double exposure versus the reward of double ramp. If you go with something like Farhaven Elf, you avoid the double exposure in exchange for a lack of color-fixing (though it is still ramp and deck thinning).

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Here's the list of creatures and other spells I run in my Riku deck; maybe you'll get some ideas here:

[Deck=Other Spells]
1 Brainstorm
1 Ponder
1 Preordain
1 Vapor Snag
1 Call to Heel
1 Deprive
1 Dual Casting
1 Explore
1 Increasing Vengeance
1 Isochron Scepter
1 Rampant Growth
1 Snap
1 Cackling Counterpart
1 Call to Mind
1 Darksteel Plate
1 Ghostly Flicker
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Sprouting Vines
1 Whispersilk Cloak
1 Chandra, the Firebrand
1 Deep Analysis
1 Harmonize
1 Into the Core
1 Leyline of Anticipation
1 Mystic Retrieval
1 Parallel Lives
1 Rewind
1 Rite of Replication
1 Slice in Twain
1 Stolen Goods
1 Turnabout
1 Arcane Melee
1 Asceticism
1 Devastation Tide
[/Deck] 

My favorite non-creature spell in this deck is by far [C]Turnabout[/C]. What usually happens is, with Riku out I cast and copy it, targeting my own lands with both instances and tapping out before each resolution to float a lot of mana, then do it again repeatedly by bringing it back to my hand with copied [C]Call to Mind[/C]s or [C]Mystic Retrieval[/C]s or a flickered & copied [C]Archaeomancer[/C]. With the right combination of cards I can have essentially unlimited mana and as many castings and copies of the instants and sorceries that are in my graveyard when it goes off.

My favorite creature to copy is [C]Charmbreaker Devils[/C]. I once had enough token devils in play that every upkeep, I could just return every single instant and sorcery in my 'yard to my hand.
I am probably going to pull Animar, as this deck is fairly creature light. What I would really like is more red instant/sorcery spells so I can play more to the strengths of both Riku and Wort. (Meaning spells copied with Riku are copied twice) With the artifacts, I really need to add rings to this. Early harvest is probably better then Turnabout if your targeting lands, and Spitting image needs to go in here. Phyrexian metamorph would likely be even better.

If you are enjoying copying twice with riku by using wort in concert you might wanna also put in Sakashima the Impostor, Reverberate, and/or Twin Cast.
A healthy chunk of my Riku deck is dedicated to doubling or tripling up on Riku's abilities. I run:

The Curio and Reflector are there as much because I'm running Allies as for Riku.

As for Red:
[deck]1x Guided Passage
1x Reroute
1x Shattering Pulse
1x Red Sun'sZenith
1x Reverberate[/deck]
Note that Reroute is a better version of your Redirect.

Because Riku is a known mana pig, I have a lot of cheaper spells and hand refilling spells (Repulse, for example).

With all these suggestions, planning on adding in the first cut

Probably pulling Anumar, Invert the skies, Prism

Need to pull a few others...

Sign In to post comments