Suitable deity for a warlock

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heya guys, any suggestions for a suitable deity for my human warlock (infernal pact) to worship?Smile
Well that really depends on your setting. Asmodeus seems a staple for Infernal warlocks, but if you're playing in Eberron, The Fury or The Shadow seem good picks. If he's a redeeming type of guy, you got The Path of Light or the Silver Flame in Eberron, Bahamut and Pelor in core, and several picks in Faerun.

Happy Gaming

As mentioned, Asmodeus is the most obvious candidate, but you might also consider some of the lesser arch-devils (Mephistopheles, Ba'al, etc. ). If you are interested, I think there was a Dragon article a while back which detailed powers for infer-locks from Asmodeus’ daughter, Glasya.

Literally anybody.  What does your character believe?  What's his philosophy of life?  What god's philosophies line up with his own?  'Race-class' is nowhere near enough information to make a suggestion.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Agreed with Salla. There are too many personalities and philosophies that could be followed by a warlock to say this one god is the god most warlocks worship.

Examples:

Bob was purchased as an infant by a cult of Asmodeus. As he grew, he reveled in the power and violence of the cult and participated in many atrocities. However, on his first long-term mission away from the cult, Bob came to appreciate the world and lament his crimes. He uses his dark powers for good causes and venerates Pelor in the hopes that the sun god can keep his soul from falling back into the devils' clutches.

Aerith is a scholar in the purest sense. He values all knowledge, both safe and dangerous, public and forbidden. As his obessions with ancient knowledge increased, so too did he become an easier target for the devils that watched him from afar. He agreed to a pact that exchanged unnamed favors for arcane power and secrets lost in the fall of Bael Turath. Even though the devils are his patrons, he asks for blessings and revealations from Ioun. 

Adara has campaigned across the multiverse under Bane's banner. Countless warriors both experienced and feeble have fallen before her unforgiving steel and merciless tactics. However, as she ages, her strength and agility have fallen behind other frontline warriors. She refuses to be a vulnerability to her platoon and has instead stuck a deal with an agent of Dispater. She gained some of her youthful vitality as well as the ability to summon up infernal fires in turn for her promise to lay low the greatest temple of Pelor on the continent. Her first and strongest loyalty is to Bane, and she would betray the devils if he asked her to. Still, while they benefit her, she will do the devils' bidding.

There. Three warlocks, all human and all of the infernal pact. However, they worship gods of different alignments.

As ToeSama said, this also assumes that you are playing  PoL setting in the first place. You should confer with your DM as to which gods and godesses exist.

Hope this helps

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

Honestly, I don't care for whole "make a pact with some power, and sell your soul" lore that goes with the warlock.  That used to be a huge turn off for me, until I decided I could just reflavor and play a pretty darned cool class.  In my eyes, it's just another flavor of wizard who casts different spells.

From that perspective, literally any god makes sense.  I don't let myself be a slave to lore I don't like when there is no reason for it.
Honestly, I don't care for whole "make a pact with some power, and sell your soul" lore that goes with the warlock.  That used to be a huge turn off for me, until I decided I could just reflavor and play a pretty darned cool class.  In my eyes, it's just another flavor of wizard who casts different spells.

From that perspective, literally any god makes sense.  I don't let myself be a slave to lore I don't like when there is no reason for it.

Agreed completely, but even for the 'traditional' warlock, any god (or no god) could make sense.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Yeah, there's no reason that the god a warlock worships has to have anything to do with the entity they've made their pact with. Although one of my warlocks does worship her pact patron as her god, since she's from an isolated village of hereditary warlocks who believe that their patron, He Who Walks Behind The Trees, is actually a benevolent deity (when in reality He's actually just a demon who corrupted a heretical sect of Pelorites during the time of the last great Empire)...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Worship yourself.  The God of Trickery thinks it's hilarious and grants you your powers.
Worship yourself.  The God of Trickery thinks it's hilarious and grants you your powers.

I actually had a character back in the old days whose delusional belief in his own divinity was strong enough to let him cast spells...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

yeah my buddy played a character back in 2e when we were stationed in Korea that was a cleric/mage who worshipped himself.  that character was hilarious.
My experience with D&D has taught me that a character doesn't have to be a cleric, or even religious, to worship himself...

More on topic, a vestige pact warlock or an invoker with a dead god's essence has a logical reason to worship himself. As for an infernal pact warlock, you could worship and try to resurrect He Who Was. That was the deity that Asmodeus and Geyron, as well as most/all of the devils betrayed.

Hope this helps

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

I personally like the idea of venerating/pacting to a devil of great power that isn't Asmodeus in the hopes of creating a power struggle in hell, for one of a great number of reasons...