Abilities Brought Back

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there any chance of Metalcraft being brought back into Magic?

Are there any other abilities that people would like to see again such as Rampage and Banding?
there's a chance for Metalcraft and Rampage
but it will take a few years at least

Banding will never come back
proud member of the 2011 community team
Don't understand why rampage didn't stick around. It's easy to understand and it feels right for green and red. 
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
The problem with rampage is that it almost never actually matters. The cases where the opponent would gang-block are already pretty rare. And even in those cases, rampage doesn't actually mean "the creature gets huge and kills all its blockers"; it means "your opponent won't gang-block the creature".

If anything, they're more likely to use a version of the ability that boosts the creature for each creature blocking it, rather than each creature beyond the first.
I'd rather see Two-headed Sliver's or Nacatl War-Pride's first ability keyworded than see Rampage back. Flanking and Bushido do Rampage's job of making double blocking unfavourable far better than Rampage does.
I'd rather see Two-headed Sliver's or Nacatl War-Pride's first ability keyworded than see Rampage back. Flanking and Bushido do Rampage's job of making double blocking unfavourable far better than Rampage does.

The can only be blocked by abilities have a similar ends but with much less design space, they also don't feel flavorful like rampage does. Rampage being so narrow means it can be a 0 cost effect (on the good cards of course) and allows for more effective design room for lure effects, which is something I could see red also getting as it is the color of emotions, and fury. Bushido and Flanking feel more white/black to me, structured and civilized. Rampage is just angry nasty beasts getting bigger, and angrier.

It's not like Red and Green couldn't use more design space.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
Don't understand why rampage didn't stick around. It's easy to understand and it feels right for green and red. 

It was intended as a banding hoser. Also, there's the "first one is free" aspect of rampage.

What I don't get is why flanking wasn't written as flanking 1.

Yeah, I'd say metalcraft is about a 7 on the storm scale. (Likelihood of this coming back. Cycling is 1, storm is 10.) It's boring, but it doesn't really add needless complexity, and it's hard to really break (unlike affinity), so it might be back.

Banding's right up there with storm, but for "needless complexity" reasons rather than "how did the dev team not catch this?" reasons. Bands with other breaks my stormometer.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Yeah, I'd say metalcraft is about a 7 on the storm scale. (Likelihood of this coming back. Cycling is 1, storm is 10.) It's boring, but it doesn't really add needless complexity, and it's hard to really break (unlike affinity), so it might be back.

For reference, MaRo algo gives it a 7.

[<o>]

For reference, MaRo algo gives it a 7.

Thanks. Yeah, I remembered "banding is a 10, bands with other is an 11". I sometimes remember his Tumblr posts, but I don't take the time to link to them.

Again, the Storm Scale is subjective.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt