Opportunity attacks, interrupted actions and new attacks

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys,
I browsed the threads but I didn't manage to find a proper answer or related thread: hope not to have been discussed before.
If I'm wrong, I apologize for the waste of time and, please, send me a link to the thread where it was discussed.

Situation

An enemy E is attacking an ally A1.
The fighter F is close to the enemy, and it has activated a power (or E was just marked by the fighter, now I don't remember) that let him attack with a melee basic an enemy that attacks his allies as an opportunity action.
Given that Opportunity actions interrupts their trigger, the fighter attacks and hits E before it can attack A1.
The F's melee basic slides two squares E; now E is in a new position and his previous action was interrupted.
But now E is close to another ally A2 and so a question arises...

What does really the opportunity attack interrupt? Does it stop the attack to A1, or does it stop the attack as a whole?

I mean, if the first case is true, E is not able anymore to attack A1 because it's out of its reach, but it can still attack A2.
In the second one, its standard action is wasted completely and cannot attack anymore.
Hope to have express myself properly and thank you in advance,

Luca
Attacking happens after targeting. Interrupts step in before their trigger resolves, not before it starts. So the targeting is done. Attack is happening. You're now out of range, your attack is lost.
Hi guys,
I browsed the threads but I didn't manage to find a proper answer or related thread: hope not to have been discussed before.
If I'm wrong, I apologize for the waste of time and, please, send me a link to the thread where it was discussed.

Situation

An enemy E is attacking an ally A1.
The fighter F is close to the enemy, and it has activated a power (or E was just marked by the fighter, now I don't remember) that let him attack with a melee basic an enemy that attacks his allies as an opportunity action.
Given that Opportunity actions interrupts their trigger, the fighter attacks and hits E before it can attack A1.
The F's melee basic slides two squares E; now E is in a new position and his previous action was interrupted.
But now E is close to another ally A2 and so a question arises...

What does really the opportunity attack interrupt? Does it stop the attack to A1, or does it stop the attack as a whole?

It stops the attack as a whole, since E is now out of range of the specified target A1, so the resolution of the attack fails.  E doesn't get to pick another target, because his attack has already started, and all of the parameters of the attack have already been determined.  You don't go back in time, you just determine the results of the OA before the results of the triggering attack.

This is why MBA slides are quite powerful, particularly in the hands of fighters.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition