The Defenestramancer - WIP

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all. Not really a regular, but I wanted to share the idea that has occurred to me (...never got to use the trick in the game I figured it out for, as game folded before I felt I needed to break out "the big guns"). Feel free to point out any flaws in the plan.

Basic combo: Arcane Gate (Wizard Utility 10, HOTFL) + Dominate (wherever you can get it) (technically forced movement works too, but is much more unreliable).

Arcane Gate creates a rift between two squares that are both within 20 of you. The trick is to pick a square on the ground level, and a square 20 squares straight up.

This adds 10d10 to any falling damage that might be going on anyway, and does 10d10 in it's own right. That sounds neat to me.

Additions/modifications:

-Flight: If you can fly, you can add the maximum height of your flight to the fall. +1d10 damage per two squares above the ground. Actual lasting Flight makes this do +20d10, since you can fly 20 squares straight up before Gating...
-Improved Tome of Readiness: Always broken, but.. doing this EVERY encounter? Naaaasty. And you get it one level later than you get Arcane Gate in the first place.*

* question for the room... the guide says:

"Improved Tome of Readiness: (AP) Con 13, Wis 13. Technically, this lets you use your favourite daily utility pretty much every counter (And later, every encounter with a bit of power recycling), since you can expend a higher level encounter util. Just be aware that some DMs consider this cheesy (And if they don't already, they might do so after you show them why). That said, it is a VERY strong feat. Just be ready for a PHB-slap or two."

; since you get two level 10 utilities in your spellbook AT level 10, can't you just go with an encounter utility and Arcane Gate (or other Daily Utility of choice) as your level 10 picks, prepare the encounter one and Tome the Daily? So it's "every encounter" right from level 11 onwards, no? (rather than "and later") 

Anyway. Any suggestions for making this even more painful for enemies? 
Yes, you can blow dailies to do damage.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Using Arcane Gate to do falling damage to enemies is dramatically missing the point of Arcane Gate...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Is there anything that says the entrances have to be vertical?

Much more effective to have them horizontal, in my opinion.  Get a nice terminal velocity going, as long as the gate holds out.  Until it stops.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Is there anything that says the entrances have to be vertical?

Much more effective to have them horizontal, in my opinion.  Get a nice terminal velocity going, as long as the gate holds out.  Until it stops.

Now you're thinking with portals.
Gates on Gates, stacks on stacks.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

A merry path that leads to getting OA'd by every available party member on their way to a hundred foot drop seems like a quantity of damage that's quite worth it. Particularly given the Daily in question can be Summon Succubus, which means EVERY enemy gets to enjoy this treatment at some point.

(...also, if I were to fully "build" it up, they'd probably be poaching Charm Beast somehow to do it every encounter)
In any case, it really doesn't work.

The squares are adjacent to each other. So the square that is 20 squares vertically up is a square adjacent to you that is up. If you can't fly, you can't go up. If you can fly, it doesn't really matter...

A merry path that leads to getting OA'd by every available party member on their way to a hundred foot drop seems like a quantity of damage that's quite worth it. Particularly given the Daily in question can be Summon Succubus, which means EVERY enemy gets to enjoy this treatment at some point.

(...also, if I were to fully "build" it up, they'd probably be poaching Charm Beast somehow to do it every encounter)

Forced Movement doesn't provoke OAs, and is impossible to use with the gate anyway (see below)

Dominate is Dominate and it entirely obviates the need for wasting Arcane Gate on damage. If you're discussing Dominates, you should be looking at Storm Pillar anyway, it's far more damage than relatively worthless Raw Dice.

MWAO - It is very poorly written, isn't it? The typical movement aiding use of Arcane Gate will often involve some sort of elevation change in addition to raw distance horizontally, by RAW, if the destination square is "over and up" you'd have to make a jump check to enter that square, which is insanely silly and clearly not RAI. However, as you mention, does prevent forced movement from working because you can't move a creature vertically with forced movement unless you're in a 3d environment in which it could normally move vertically itself (nearly all creatures underwater, or flying creatures in the air)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Another piece of this crap pie is this:

Its generally understood that your DM won't force-move you up into the air.  There are a lot of creatures that can do what you want to do with your gate and the DM's monsters can always do it better (he isn't constricted by those silly rules or powers things).  If you start tossing enemies aloft, remember that it implies that the DM is allowed to go ahead and launch your goofy butt into the air as far as he likes.  Why doesn't the dragon grab a player, fly them 30 squares up and drop them to their death?  Well they will now!
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Storm pillar + teleport isn't bad.  You can net 3x the damage by having something fall past.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Storm pillar + teleport isn't bad.  You can net 3x the damage by having something fall past.

And if you put the other end below the storm pillar, you have an infinite damage source!
Incorrect, the squares are adjacent, not "when you enter A you instantly are moved to B"

Elemental Maw on the other hand ...
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Incorrect, the squares are adjacent, not "when you enter A you instantly are moved to B...."

Right, but isn't that why he's using a dominate power with this, to make the monster walk into the "adjacent" square?

Mand was saying you could put a Storm Pillar in the air with arcane gates above and below in order to cause infinite falling through the Storm Pillar.

As much as we might wish, 4e isn't Portal.
As much as we might wish, 4e isn't Portal.

That's more of a lie than the cake.
Sign In to post comments