Are Gates worth playing in fast aggro decks?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yesterday I had a very fast rakdos deck with 5 1-drops and 8 2-drops, so even though I managed to grab three Rakdos Guildgates I chose not to play them at risk of slowing me down too much.

A few games I admittedly did lose due to color screw, but there were also games where I knew if I had topdecked that gate over a regular land, I would have lost due to being a turn behind or not able to play that crucial spell.

I always figured gates are best for slower decks (or decks splashing a third or fourth color, naturally). Am I wrong?

Yes and no. It depends on your drops and mana spread. This forum would need a decklist to offer specific comments.

3 guildgates when you're not splashing is a little much, I'd say. But I'd still board two in; when adding land you want to count your mana sources.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I've had bad luck with the Gates, so i don't use them in any 2 color deck, especially if i'm trying to aggro.  YMMV, but i always seem to draw them right when i need a 4th, 5th, or 6th land and i need it now, but they come in tapped and basically Time Walk myself.    
I think five one-drops (were they all creatures? If so, what creatures?) are enough that Gates become suboptimal, but I play them in almost all my Rakdos decks (even if I have a few one-drops).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
If the games you lost due to mana screw were more frequent then the ones you think you might have lost due to lands coming in tapped then I would say you should have run them... but I don't think I would have ran all 3 though
3 is probably too many, but like others have said, it really depends on what your curve is like.

I would have probably run two.  The way I figure it is that the only real time the gate hurts you is if it's your only land, and that's a hand you should mulligan any way.  Other than that, if you keep a 2-lander with a gate, it's very likely that you can go 1-drop into 1-drop plus gate easily, in which case the gate probabaly didn't slow you down.

There is no way I wouldn't have run at least one.
I have run two but not three. I think the only way I would do that is if I had a control deck with a splash off color? I just fear the opening draw where you inevitably draw all three as your mana sources.
Having the right colors to play your spells is pretty decent.
I think at most like 3, when you get more then like 4 you can really slow your tempo.