D&D Video Game

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are there any D&D video games that play like the table top version?  I remember playing one when I was a kid called AD&D: Pool of Radiance.  There has got to be a current version with multiplayer.  Right? 
Nope...there isn't any 4th edition based videogame, wish is also a contribution for the brand not to grow.  At least half of people that played and still plays 3rd edition or Pathfinder started with Neverwinter Nights and other 3rd edition based videogames.

Is something alot of people don't understand, the videogames are great to lure people into the tabletop, not the oposite...you don't buy a D&D game expecting a quality experience (at least i didn't...and after so many...lackluster games, i don't think anybody will), it is after the impresions left by the game you will probably expand your posibilities with the tabletop version.
Sad.

Do you know of any good virtual table top programs?  Right now we're using rpgtableonline.  We're not impressed. 
Sad.

Do you know of any good virtual table top programs?  Right now we're using rpgtableonline.  We're not impressed. 

On my online group we use maptools.  We have macros for everything, states, status and token tracking, damage calculations, healing, etc...it speed up things quite alot.
Fantasy Grounds is a good virtual table for a small price. Roll20 is another good virtual able totally free.
im sorry you dont like the rpgtable. at least with it you can import your cb pcs, even from the offline builder; you can also access 4e monsters as well. any other system will require tedious, soul-killing data entry to have the same functionality. some of the other tables work ok if you want to play a simpler game system; for example, roll20 is fine with classic editions imo. good luck!
Loved playing pool of radiance on my C64 . That game was awesome fun , it was pure gold just like the box the game came in 
If you are interested in the old Gold Box games like Pool of Radiance, Curze of the Azure Bonds etc., you may want to check out the Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. There is still a  community, they are still actively putting out modules for that game. You can check out their forum over here.

Mad Scientist
I don't think that it will be a 4e game, but Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition should be a good game.

www.baldursgate.com
There's also the D&D Anthology Master edition which has all the Baldur's Gate games as well as PlaneScape: Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil. (Which does play like D&D with rounds and such. Movement is gridlike as well.)

And there's the Neverwinter Nights complete with everything ("official") NWN 1 and 2.

Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
Hm.  There are not many games that play similar to the combat of 4th Edition, and there is no official game that is faithful to it.   I have some suggestions, but keep in mind that I am using two different definations for 'like the tabletop game'.  The first is that there are tactical situations that more or less resemble a situation that you may find in 4e, and the other is that the game actually plays similarly to 4e, but doesn't have the D&D brand attached to it.

To start off with, I recommend the games derived from the Infinity Engine, which includes titles like Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, and so forth.  They use the 2nd Edition AD&D rules, but they are comparitivelly intricate to most other D&D games because of the spells, items, and enemies that can be encountered.  Neverwinter Nights 2 might also be good, as it is similar but uses D&D 3.5e if I rememeber rightly.

Now, for games that actually have combat that resembles 4th Edition:  They are Tactical RPGs that you can find on the Playstation, Playstation 2, DS, and other consoles.  These kinds of games typically don't manifest on the PC, unfortunately.  I especially recommend Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.  Here is a number of videos below, so you can see the gameplay of them.

I really wish that someone could make a 4e Tactical RPG for the 3DS...but I am guessing that Wizards is dead set on burying 4th edition.

Tactics Ogre (PSP)

Final Fantasy Tactics (iPad version)

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (DS)

Disgaea 4 (skip to 3:50 for gameplay)
"The word Live is Evil spelt backwards." "Flaws are what make our perfections shine so brightly"
Actually, Temple of Elemental Evil videogame would work wonderful if it used 4th edition ruleset, because it won't share the problems the game had that were product of being based on 3rd edition.  The reason why that game tanked was because it was way too close to it's tabletop counterpart and RAW 3.5 is terrible, problems from the tabletop translated to the game, like not being clear how things worked, everything but the fighter will die in one hit during the first level, 5MWD, taking several days to heal, cleric being mandatory, the horrendous roll dice for ability score, being a few of the reasons it was extremly unfriendly for people without 3rd edition D&D experience, mandatory cleric on party, Lawful Good only paladins and being stripped of your powers by something stupid.  

NWN1 & 2 didn't suffered as much on this, because you could restore all your HP and spells when out of combat and no enemies near you quite easly....having a cleric wasn't mandatory at all, it also lowered the attack roll and damage of enemies during the first levels to avoid being oneshotted (during the first levels, it was common for monster to even have negative bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls).  Nevewinter Nights 2 also removed hitdice and made every gain of HP the maximum of your hitdice (fighter will always earn 10+ConMod every level).  The reason NWN1 & 2 "worked" was because it tried very hard to get away from 3rd edition mechanics as possible...ToEE didn't and that's why it failed, even when ToEE didn't had a huge problem NWN1&2 had of having turn based rules runing on pseudo realtime-round based combat.

ToEE wouldn't have the same problem if it was remade with 4th edition ruleset, the lenguage is alot easier to understand for people not familiar to the system and more transparent, 5MWD won't be an issue and the need of cleric would be minimized and actually removed if it would have access to the other leader classes, among other things...and it also wouldn't have the problem NWN1&2 had because ToEE engine is completly turn based
Actually, Temple of Elemental Evil videogame would work wonderful if it used 4th edition ruleset

I pretty much agree with everything you just said. For years, I've been wondering why there's isn't a 4e based videogame, since 4e strikes me as a system that would translate over to videogames relatively easily.

Given, that may be because I have a deep love of turn based strategy RPGs (not the most common genre, I know) and the majority of (relatively) recent D&D videogames have been very action oriented.

I actually liked ToEE quite a bit, in terms of how the game was played. Like you said, the problem was that it was running off 3.5e mechanics. I do have a friend that cites the encounters being too high level for the expected party level, but I don't have any hard numbers on that.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
4e ruleset + Final Fantasy Tactics style gameplay +  Neverwinter Nights editor and DM tools = Shut up and take my money
 For years, I've been wondering why there's isn't a 4e based videogame, since 4e strikes me as a system that would translate over to videogames relatively easily.

There wasn't a real 4E video game because of licensing issues with atari.

TOEE is a lot better if you use the user mods.  They fixed a lot of the bugs and let you control up to 8 PCs properly.  You are right about 3.5 rules causing issues with the game.  Without 4E style retraining and without knowing what weapons you are going to get access to, its really hard to properly plan out what feat path to take for your weapon using PCs.  If I remember right things like spiked chain and greatsword are good choices because you get really good ones eventually, but you don't know that until you get them after hours of gameplay.  Also there are not nearly enough good feats in the game for higher level PCs in it since it only uses PHB and DMG material for the PCs.
Another fun game is D&D Online. (DDO.) It's set in Eberron, and though 3e, it doesn't "feel" that way as you click on what you want to attack.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
4e ruleset + Final Fantasy Tactics style gameplay +  Neverwinter Nights editor and DM tools = Shut up and take my money

+1

I find it ridiculous that we 4e fans had to endure so much "4e=video game" taunting and never got a video game out of it. (The closest thing so far is a facebook game which falls far short, and rumors there was supposed to be an MMO in the works, which was supposedly going to be based on Essentials only.) 

+1

I find it ridiculous that we 4e fans had to endure so much "4e=video game" taunting and never got a video game out of it. (The closest thing so far is a facebook game which falls far short, and rumors there was supposed to be an MMO in the works, which was supposedly going to be based on Essentials only.) 

It's actually quite ironic, because a game based on 4e ruleset would be the hardest to translate into a videogame, you actually need to put some effort into things like AI and build the classes, old D&D games AI is just attack closest thing or the first thing that attacked me and randomly switch target occasionally...and spam spells randomly, you can't do that on 4e because is not that simple on it's nature.  Also classes are unique and have diferent mechanics and features, while in other editions, spells are the only complicated thing to program, most classes and feats are just spell slots, and modifiers...

So you need a more competent crew of people to do so...sadly, from the game design point of view, neither Bioware nor Obsidian (Black Isle/Trokia) could do something like this, AI has always been one of the worst things their games have

Another route could also be a game like D&D version of "X-Com", the rest i leave it up to your imagination, if the success of x-com is any indication (despise the franchise was very obscure at the time of release), it means turn based tactical games still have a market on videogames
I would guess that Nippon Ichi might be a good developer.  They specialize in creating turn-based strategy games, and are very fond of the kitchen-sink approach in my opinion.
"The word Live is Evil spelt backwards." "Flaws are what make our perfections shine so brightly"
Sign In to post comments