[Skype] Looking for 4th editionplayers to play via Skype and map tool.

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey. I want to join a D&D 4th edition online group or have people join this group. I've tried doing online roleplay groups before, but didn't go well. Now I'm willing to give it another try. I'm still trying get the grasp on the rules, so if you also new to D&D 4th edition, we can learn together. As for the campaign, I was thinking we do the Keep of the Shadowfall, just to start with. It would nice if someone volunteer to be the DM as I don't consider myself a good DM. We can discuss a time where we can meet weekly. Mondays and Fridays are the most stable for me.
Hey there. I'd be interested in joining you but there are a few things to mention. I'm not new to 4e at all, merely desperate for a 4e game. I've played this mod before and even DMed it once. Still, I know how to play things straight. My rogue isn't going to magically "know" where all the traps are and my fighter isn't going to ambush ambushers without a perception check. I wouldn't mind DMing again but I'm new to map tool so that would be a stumbling block. Beyond that, I would prefer a friday game whether it be as a player or DM.

EDIT: Despite the size of this topic, we are still looking for players. Inquire on the third page for additional details

EDIT 2: The game is currently closed to new players. Thank you for your time.
Hey there. I'd be interested in joining you but there are a few things to mention. I'm not new to 4e at all, merely desperate for a 4e game. I've played this mod before and even DMed it once. Still, I know how to play things straight. My rogue isn't going to magically "know" where all the traps are and my fighter isn't going to ambush ambushers without a perception check. I wouldn't mind DMing again but I'm new to map tool so that would be a stumbling block. Beyond that, I would prefer a friday game whether it be as a player or DM.

It's fine that you already know about 4e. I've really wanted to try out another game again. It was would be great you can DM as well. I've gotten people from other forums, so hopefully we'll get a full party together. I think we should all talk on Skype sometime.
I'd be willing to join if the game is on the weekends in the afternoon.
i'm interested in this.

i have a good bit of knowledge about the game and it's mechanics, but don't know so much about background and story.

i like to think i'm pretty easygoing and, importantly, flexible and accomodating schedule-wise. let me know if this takes off!
I too would like to join this game if possible, my schedule has lotso f space for evening games and i can play once or twice in the weekend.

I'm new to 4e though
Looks like we have 5 people interested in forming a group. Now, what days work for people and who is willing to DM? Personally, I have never Dmed and don't know if it would be best if I did. Also, if it helps people decide what they want to play I intend to play a controller. Btw, It's fine if you're new. We'll probably have a day just to talk about character creation and how some basic mechanics work. Hope this group gets started. :D
At the moment i am available on pretty much all evenings, with rare exceptions if i have to work in the evening shift. I am available on some weekdays, but those tend to be really random. In the weekends I always have one day off, mostly sunday, but sometimes saturday instead.

As of Character creation, I was really interested in a Tiefling Warlock, as that is really brand new for me, but I'm willing to try anything, but I would like to deal some damage this time as I always tend to play Fighter, Clerics and other support characters :p

Cheers!
Sorry for my late respones, I'm trying to get through the flu now. Anyway, I want to thank everyone for showing interest in joining this group. As for schedules, it seems that everyone is good with evening games, so we can do that. My schedule can be random too, but monday and Fridays are the most stable. I was thinking we can all skype each other Monday Nov 26 and/or Friday Nov 30. We can mostly talk about what character to use and what campaign to go on. My Skype name is jman120888.
/by the way, if we are talking about evening games, what timezone are we talking about? I'm in GMt +1 myself.
Well, I live in the Central timezone. It think we should meet up around 6pm CST.
Saturday evening works the best for me. I'll give me contact info soon and my timezone.
I really want to play some D&D. I dont have the oppertunity in my local area, and id love to get in with this group.

Im pretty flexible with timing, i go to uni thursday and friday but that is all.

Im pretty easy going, and fairly familiar with forgotten relms having read a lot of the books etc.

Id love to get involved if im not to late to do so?

My time zone is GMT.
Okay, it seems like we have 6 people which means 1 dm and 5 players which is perfect. However, now we need to decide who is going to be the DM. My skype name is m1m1cv4t. write to me before you try and call me.
To get some idea's flowing we should post down some campaign idea's that we might want to play and perhaps some classes as well. Personally, I really like invokers, wizards, paladins, avengers, sorcerers, and rogues. It would be also useful to know how people tend to play so we don't clash immediately once we get into the game. Personally, I like to play characters that are good at talking or perceiving. I also make good characters, but I won't devote my entire character to a single combat mechanic. I also have a tendancy to take early multiclass feats because I like the flavor they provide and the extra skill bonuses they give. Also, I like a mix of sci fi and medevil fantasy if that helps at all. I'll think about more ideas for a campaign later.
I guess we do have full group now. I do wonder who all of us can talk on Skype at the same time. I don't mind playing on Saturday nights, but there might be times when I have to work. I already have a couple of characters in mind to use, so as a human druid. I haven't play D&D for long time, so I'm not sure what my play style is. I'm not sure what kind of campaign we should try out just yet. I don't mind us all meeting on Friday or Saturday evening if everyone is up for it.
We can all talk on skype to my understanding. However, we're going to have to be mindful of each other when we talk. JJ, would you consider a shaman instead, considering I sort of already want to play a controller? Has anyone tried out RPGTable Online? It looks promising for what we're trying to do.
We can all talk on skype to my understanding. However, we're going to have to be mindful of each other when we talk. JJ, would you consider a shaman instead, considering I sort of already want to play a controller? Has anyone tried out RPGTable Online? It looks promising for what we're trying to do.

Alright then. I can go with being either a Ranger or a Fighter. I haven't tried RPGTable. We can try that if everyone is up for it.
Thanks man, currently I have my eyes set on a dwarven invoker. We'll see how many more people start responding to this thread again before we jump too far ahead though.
okay...if the monday skype meeting happened, I was not privvy to it. Regardless, I plan to be online for friday at the suggested time 6 pm CST. If JJohnson10usa can't host the skype chat, I will. I may be totally off-base on this, but it seems the game prep is stagnating a bit.
You can go ahead and host it, DemonicHeart. I'll make sure to be there friday.
I'll join the call as well. However, I can't do friday night games unless they end at like 10:30 central. 
I'm currently on Skype right now. My skype name is phantasticsoul.
Well, since it seems only Apollo_Theron showed up, I guess its time for recruitment drive. I've sent everyone who didn't post a skype name a pm in Wizards about this meeting. If you are still interested, please post here and show up next week, 12/7, on skype at 6 pm CST. In the meantime, I'm going to take the reigns and say I will DM it. I will also look for a few more interested parties in the event no else responds to this.
I would like to join as well.

Just PM me all the info on for skype, and other stuff so  I don't get confused please. c:
I've decided to include some information for character creation, so people who wish to join can get a headstart on it. The 12/7 meeting will likely be more a setup than an actual game anyway but who knows.

What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

4th Edition

What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Generic D&D Setting

How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Hoping for 4 - 6 but I'll happily take a few more if for no other reason than as alts.

What's the gaming medium (forum, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Skype and MapTools.

What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1

How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

100 gold

Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

All classes from all books are allowed with an exception made for Vampires and Blackguards. If you want either of those classes, you had better make an exceptional backstory (at least several paragraphs) to explain why they aren't evil and actually care about others.

What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

All PHB races are allowed automatically. All other races will be taken on a case by case. Be aware that monster races will face a good deal of grief from the local populous. Especially kobolds, goblins, bugbears and hobgoblins so these four are the least reccommended.

By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Standard Point Buy (22 Point Buy). If you are unsure how to calculate it this is a good online calculator to help you out. www.asmor.com/scripts/4eAbilityScores/in...

Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Good and netural characters will always take precidence. Evil characters fall under the same umbrella as Vamps and Blackguards. You will have to explain IN DETAIL why this character won't try to knife the goodies in their sleep or when they are alert and I reserve the right to say NO. Disagreements, conflict, head slaps and sparring are perfectly fine, but I don't want the party to kill each other. That's suppose to be my job.

Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multiclass feats and hybrid characters are perfectly fine if you want to experiment.

Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Since the game is in MapTool, rolling shouldn't be a problem. You can roll your own dice.

Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

On character creation, I'm giving everyone the improved Defense feat for free. It does not count against your feat selections. Considering most folks would want it anyway, I'm not going to make you burn a feat spot for it.
Show

Improved Defenses
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Furthermore, Skill backgrounds and Themes are allowed as well SO LONG AS THEY MATCH YOUR CHARACTER'S BACKSTORY. For example, if you choose the merchant skill bonus, your character had better have spent a portion of their life behind a counter dealing with money exchange. It doesn't need to be a perfect fit but I shouldn't have to make Grand Canyon sized logic jumps either. If anyone needs help with choosing them, just pm me on wizards with your sheet or hit me up on skype either before the meeting or during it.

Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

I'll be honest, I love novels. There is no such thing as too much detail. Still, I won't require that you write a book for me. I want to see a good deal of thought put into your character's backstory. Where was your character born (feel free to make your own hometowns if you wish)? What was their early life like? What made them decide to become their class? Were there any memorable moments in their past that shaped who they are today? Try to introduce at least 1 npc ally and enemy for your character. You might see your friend or foe later in the game. You might not see them at all. It just gives me something to play around with. Please end your backstory in the city of Fallcrest (a predominantly human city with a healthy population of halfling and dwarven residents. While few other races live here, its a major trade route so all races pass through on occassion). Also try to link your backstory with one of the three plot hooks below. I don't care if everyone chooses one hook or you choose all three between yourselves.

Missing Explorer
An explorer named Douven Staul always had an interest in ruins and legends. Three months ago, he had managed to find a map to a dragon's tomb several miles away from the small town of Winterhaven. Eager to see it for himself and perhaps discover a relic or two, he set off on his own. Even with his habit of getting caught up in his work, Douven should have returned by now. Thus, his wife, Aria, has put out a request for someone to travel to Winterhaven and find Douven.

Feel free to define your own relationship with Douven and Aria. You could simply be some random adventurer Aria managed to grab off the street, a friend of either of them, or Douven could have helped you in the past with advice or mentorship for a time. She can offer 250 gold for Douven's return or proof of his demise.

Ruins of the Empire
Winterhaven grew up in the shaodw of an old keep. Like other similar structures across the land, the keep fell into disrepair when the human Empire of Nerath crumbled over 100 years ago. Winterhaven survives to this day, a modest point of light in a world that has grown darker and more dangerous. A scholar in Fallcrest named Parle Cranewing has been seeking adventurers to locate the old keep near Winterhaven and make a detailed map of it. He has offered 250 gold for anyone who hands him such a map.

Ominous Signs
The Great Church in Fallcrest originally started out as a temple to Pelor. However, in recent years, shrines to other good and neutral aligned gods have been placed here as well. The building has seen its share of expansion and the major religions have at least one representative there. One priestess of Pelor named Marla has been studying the history of various demonic presenses and cults to better combat them. Over a year ago, she got wind of a group of suspecious individuals passing through Fallcrest. Between inquiries and studies, she eventually manage to link these people to an obscure death cult. Unfortunately, they had long since left Fallcrest by then and headed west towards Winterhaven. Through divinations, she learned the name of their leader, Kalarel, and has implored her collegues to take this threat seriously. She believes he might try to bolster his ranks in a small village and conduct unholy ceremonies. However, quite a few thought she could be mistaken or that she was on a wild goose chase. Eventually, the clergy agreed to hire adventurers to prove or disprove Marla's warnings.

Once again, I think this one is open ended enough. You could just be a hired hand interested in gold, a friend of Marla trying to help, or even someone affected by cultists in the past. Regardless, while the church will pay 250 gold for this service, they want physical proof before any payoff.

Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

It will be a mix of roleplaying and hack & slash with the occassional puzzle thrown in. I also suggest players use their wits when dealing with enemies. You can try to talk to them or just kill them all. Some won't bother to reply anyway while some will. Some have useful information, some don't. Either way, I'll progress the plot depending on the results.

Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

All Wizards Books are available. Dragon Magazine is allowed as well but please referrence the issue if you are going to use something from them. No homebrew material under any circumstance.
hey , am i too late to join , im a beginner but am eager to learn , im free for that skype chat  on friday at 6 and most evenings past that time
hey , am i too late to join , im a beginner but am eager to learn , im free for that skype chat  on friday at 6 and most evenings past that time

No you're not too late to join since we had a decent amount of people that didn't show up at all. If you're interested in joining the group please talk to demonicheart and see if he wants you in the group. From what I've been seeing, we'll probably play on friday evening.
Since I'm still only certain of one person at this point, this game is still open. I've been corresponding to others over PM and some have said they plan to show up. Still, I don't actually consider any additional slots in the game filled until they join the skype chat this friday. I don't care if your character is complete or not by then. We can work on set up and hammering out the party. If it is and we get enough people, I'll gladly start the game that night.
Hey there. I might be interested. I'd play a hybrid swordmage defender, if that works. What time (and timezone) would this happen?

And do you use and framework with Maptools?
Remember that we're meeting today!
Remember that we're meeting today!

is it still too late to join your group?
Sign In to post comments