Mono Red Burn

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Straightforward
*EDIT*: This is apparently not burn, but RDW, just so we can get off that topic

Suggestions?

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
With all those instants and sorceries, you may wanna look at Guttersnipe
Also Blasphemous Act + Stuffy Doll = kills all their creatures (hopefully) AND they take 13 damage
hope this helps
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Searing Blaze can be risky, I prefer Incinerate over it. I also prefer Keldon Marauders to the fireslinger.

first, this isnt burn but RDW since you put creatures in there.
tbh id get rid of the fireslinger, noble and 2-4 of the lavamancers. just not good and fast enough.
staggeershock is verrry slow.
fallout depends - id keep it for sideboard but...

Burn decks do play some creatures, as there is something to be said about recuring damage.

That said the list in the OP is very RDW-ish, with it's poor creature base.  Lavamancer, and perhaps Cursed Scroll / Magus of the Scroll are the only recuring damage sources you need (that don't include having a creature attack).

A nice shell for Burn for Legacy/Modern/Casual play would probabaly be:

4 Keldon Marauders
3 Grim Lavamancer
+ around 6 more creatures

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Incinerate
+ around 10 more burn spells

2 Keldon Megaliths
+19 Mountains, with maybe 6 to 10 Fetch lands for deck thinning

If you're gearing for Legacy, Chain Lightning really is a must.  For Modern, you'd probably want to splash Black for Bump in the Night and some Sign in Blood (which can either deal the final 2 damage or help you draw into more burn) and run Deathrite Shaman over Lavamancer.

Goblin Guide and Mogg Fanatic are some ideal turn 1 plays for Burn.  Fanatic because he blows up on a moments notice, and Guide because you should have so much low cmc burn that a few extra land draws should matter when you add in the fact he's a hastey 2/2 on turn 1.

I've seen some go a more Storm route ala Grapeshot + Pyromancer's Swath but that ca be very hit or miss.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
im sorry but the only creatures that can be considered burn are those dealing a decent amount of damage when entering or leaving the field. stable/recurring sources of damage are nice, they are also easy to stop. direct damage on the other hand has much fewer and less often played/sideboarded answers

mogg fanatic is crap imo but youre not alone in advocating it^^

incinerate is not a must have, barely optional imo. 2 for 3 is just not good enough.
im sorry but the only creatures that can be considered burn are those dealing a decent amount of damage when entering or leaving the field. stable/recurring sources of damage are nice, they are also easy to stop. direct damage on the other hand has much fewer and less often played/sideboarded answers

mogg fanatic is crap imo but youre not alone in advocating it^^

incinerate is not a must have, barely optional imo. 2 for 3 is just not good enough.

Fanatic is good because  he's a turn 1 play that will always deal at least 1 damage.  He also improves Burn chances VS Bridge from Below.

Incinerate isn't a must, that I'll agree to, but there are only so many 1 cmc 3 damage spells out there, and Shard Volley competes with Fireblast for the saccing of Mountains.  Eventually you have to dip into the 2 cmc burn spells.  Incinerate is usually the go to spell at that point.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
Well..
I guess my deck is not "Burn"
I would not call it straight burn, but I still feel like it falls int that category. Also this deck is a budget.  So no can do for Chain Lightning
Anyways, i fixed the decklist around a little
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Fire Servant might be a creature to consider, the mana cost is a bit high but it will double the damage done by all of your instant and sorcery cards. Brimstone Volley could be an option there's also Volcanic Hammer Anyway im kinda just spitting out random cards here
Fire Servant might be a creature to consider, the mana cost is a bit high but it will double the damage done by all of your instant and sorcery cards.

Fire Servant is bad.  Huge casting cost, small body, and just screams to be removed because if you untap with it, you'll almost always win if you have a few burn spells in hand.

If you want a creature to care about what spells you have, think about Lavamancer (he likes full graveyards) and Kiln Fiend.  Small cost, you lose little if they're removed and they can have a big impact on the game. 
My Decks