Budget High Tide

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a casual High Tide deck that uses Frantic Search, but I am wanting to make it Legacy leagal, so I can take it to tournaments. I know that this deck list probably wont do so well, since I can't afford key cards (Force of Will, etc.), but I just want to have fun with it. Any suggestions on what to do with this to make it better would be awesome!

Lands

19 Islands

Creatures

4 Cloud of Faeries
2 Peregrine Drake

Spells

4 High Tide
4 Snap
2 Turnabout
4 Meditate
4 Ideas Unbound
4 Preordain
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Merchant Scroll
3 Counterspell
1 Brain Freeze
1 Blue Sun's Zenith

Here it is broken down:

Untap Engine - 16

4 High Tide
4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Snap
2 Peregrine Drake
2 Turnabout

Card Draw - 20

4 Preordain
4 Ideas Unbound
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Meditate
4 Merchant Scroll

Protection - 3

3 Counterspell

Win Condition - 2

1 Brain Freeze
1 Blue Sun's Zenith

Lands -19

19 Islands

I have a casual High Tide deck that uses Frantic Search, but I am wanting to make it Legacy leagal, so I can take it to tournaments. I know that this deck list probably wont do so well, since I can't afford key cards (Force of Will, etc.), but I just want to have fun with it. Any suggestions on what to do with this to make it better would be awesome!

Lands

19 Islands

Creatures

4 Cloud of Faeries
2 Peregrine Drake

Spells

4 High Tide
4 Snap
2 Turnabout
4 Meditate
4 Ideas Unbound
4 Preordain
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Merchant Scroll
3 Counterspell
1 Brain Freeze
1 Blue Sun's Zenith

Here it is broken down:

Untap Engine - 16

4 High Tide
4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Snap
2 Peregrine Drake
2 Turnabout

Card Draw - 20

4 Preordain
4 Ideas Unbound
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Meditate
4 Merchant Scroll

Protection - 3

3 Counterspell

Win Condition - 2

1 Brain Freeze
1 Blue Sun's Zenith

Lands -19

19 Islands

I would consider dropping Accumulated Knowledge for Impulse.  Impulse digs deep each time, which is usually going to be better for you than straight drawing cards.  Yes, sometimes you'll be forced to make tough choices, but sometimes you'll only be looking for one card anyway (that last Turnabout to finish them off).

I would also think about dropping Peregrine Drake.  If you are having trouble winning before turn five, then you should think about playing more Ponder or Portent in his place.  See, I usually don't get over four land which means the Drake would be getting wasted every turn.  If you are having trouble getting enough untap effects, dropping your land count by one for an extra Turnabout probably shouldn't be too hard on you.

Another possibility is dropping one of the Meditates.  I don't know if you need all four of them.
Thanks for the input! I changed the deck and put it into a deckbuilder online, and it plays nicely. Impulse and Ponder are awesome! Thank you!

I wonder if I should add one more Turnabout? Maybe -1 Merchant Scroll +1 Turnabout?

Here is the new deck list:

Lands

18 Islands

Creatures

4 Cloud of Faeries

Spells

4 High Tide
4 Snap
3 Turnabout
4 Ponder
3 Preordain
4 Ideas Unbound
4 Impulse
3 Meditate
4 Merchant Scroll
1 Brain Freeze
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
3 Counterspell

I wonder if I should add one more Turnabout? Maybe -1 Merchant Scroll +1 Turnabout?

Testing should show you about this.  Honestly, I'd rather have the fourth Merchant Scroll since they basically read, "1U: search your library for High Tide and put it into your hand."  Very useful.
I just traded for some Time Spirals! I should be able to purchase some Force of Wills in several months, too. What should I do with this, since it is a completely new list?

Lands

18 Islands

Spells

4 High Tide
4 Time Spiral
3 Turnabout
3 Retraced Image
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
3 Meditate
4 Merchant Scroll
3 Cunning Wish
1 Brain Freeze
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
4 Counterspell

SB

1 Turnabout
1 Meditate
I would play with Pact of Negation over Counterspell, because it's free. It shouldn't be too expensive, either. I'd also drop six Islands for some combination of Scalding Tarn, Misty Rainforest, Polluted Delta, and Flooded Strand. Those will make your Brainstorms much, much better.
Sign In to post comments