An all girl Dungeons and Dragons group?

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
I mean, I am a girl. But, all the DnD groups I have been a part of have always been male-dominate.

I've been trying to get together a group here at my university. My main form of advertising has been posters, hung all over campus. So far, I have got five solid responses; one guy and four girls.

And I don't want to be rude or anything, but I kind of wanted... more variety? I don't even know what I'm trying to say!

What's the timbre of your DnD group?
Bored out of your mind and looking for some entertainment? I've got you covered: http://ferrisbuellersnewkidney.blogspot.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/NintenDani7184
One girl in our group of six.
My current gaming group (we play Magic and BESM right now) is pretty evenly split - overall, there are 4 guys and 3 girls. Though right now, it's usually 3 girls and 2 guys, sometimes 3 girls and 3 guys.

When I was younger, there was a higher percentage of guys to girls. As I got older, that changed. I think it might be because more of the people (guys or girls) brought their SOs, so the dynamics shifted to more "pairs" of genders.

Do you mean variety in terms of having a more even gender distribution?

Does your university have a gaming club? Many do, and it's a good place to find people!
Benevolent God of Death "No one told you when to run."
Yeah- by variety I mean I like having both guys and girls in a group. Not just guys. Not just girls. It keeps things interesting.

And yes, my university does have a gaming club, but it meets at the same time as the karate association I am a part of.
Bored out of your mind and looking for some entertainment? I've got you covered: http://ferrisbuellersnewkidney.blogspot.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/NintenDani7184
I'd probably find a way to contact someone in the club, just to put up your poster in their area or whatever, or maybe they have a roster of some sort of people looking for/running games. Maybe skip karate for a night to check out the "usuals" (don't know how serious the karate thing is, that's your call), or find a night that someone in the group is running a game - it's been my experience that in the "college age", gamers aren't happy with one night a week. Heck, I played Friday nights, then 12 hours on both Saturday and Sunday back in my "gaming prime".

Good luck!
Benevolent God of Death "No one told you when to run."
The groups I've had with peeps my own age in the past have always been about evenly split with about 3 guys and 3 heavy girls. I say that cuz like all the girls can be fit into a category where not all the guys was fat. Like one of the dudes was a twig. One of the girls was foolin around with him behind her bf's back and junk. The other two had a thing for me but like I'm not like RH and stuff, which means I dont really have a thing for heavy gals. So yeah didn't really want none of that. And like one of the other dudes was like super introverted and so just stayed out of everyone's way and junk. Like if it wasn't his turn he'd be reading a novel. I remember us picking on him quite a bit. yeah... I guess what I'm trying to say is my experiences with Gaming Groups is that its been fairly average and stuff.

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

I just want to say who cares if you got more girls or more guys or whatever, You got people willling to play just go for it, yaknow? 

And @ df: Dude read a book when it wasnt his turn? read a book? Some of the guys I game with would have a big problem with that, they get pissy if someone checks their phone, even if its just to check the time letalone actually making a call or texting with it.
But regardless, still seems to be in bad form to read a book, I mean when Im DMing I dont really mind if someone does something else while its not their turn or whatever, but I do get pissed if when it gets to their turn theyre like, 'uh so whats goin on again?' 

And @ nobody in particular: We do have one girl game with us, but shes my daughter so I dont know if it really counts, I kinda forced her into it, haha.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
And @ df: Dude read a book when it wasnt his turn? read a book? Some of the guys I game with would have a big problem with that, they get pissy if someone checks their phone, even if its just to check the time letalone actually making a call or texting with it.
But regardless, still seems to be in bad form to read a book, I mean when Im DMing I dont really mind if someone does something else while its not their turn or whatever, but I do get pissed if when it gets to their turn theyre like, 'uh so whats goin on again?'

It was a sort of annoyance at first but after a while we quit filling him in info he lost so if he read his book or got to into it then he'd constantly be in the dark. Could be a partial reason why the group always did so bad during encounters.

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

I just want to say who cares if you got more girls or more guys or whatever, You got people willling to play just go for it, yaknow? 

And @ nobody in particular: We do have one girl game with us, but shes my daughter so I dont know if it really counts, I kinda forced her into it, haha.

In 4E I like to take power naps between my turns. I feel great after a good game of 4E...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.

I am not trying to be sexist, and it's not like I am going to terminate my group because it is mostly girls. I am just saying that I like having both guys and girls in a group, and I was curious if anyone else felt the same way. No one has just guy friends or just girl friends because that would get boring (and if you do have just one gender of friend, you probably are wishing you had some friends of the other gender).

I am not trying to be sexist, and it's not like I am going to terminate my group because it is mostly girls. I am just saying that I like having both guys and girls in a group, and I was curious if anyone else felt the same way. No one has just guy friends or just girl friends because that would get boring (and if you do have just one gender of friend, you probably are wishing you had some friends of the other gender).

I like having something pretty to look at while I play too. Its also why I would vote for a female president, I'd rather get screwed by a decent looking woman than a wrinkled old man any day. Your preferences might differ...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
You're kidding, right?
Girls in my gaming group!?

*wipes tear of mirth from eye*

No self-respecting girl would be caught dead loafing with a bunch of old drunk nerds like my group.
Besides, we don't play RPGs too much anymore.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine

So not only are you a sexist, you also seem to be a therapist.

And just because you think it better that a group is "diverse", doesn't actually mean it is better.
Diversity for diversitys sake hasn't been proven to make anything better.... well, except for somebodys feelings or ego perhaps.
So, really, just because you have a group that includes both men and women doesn't make you special or better than anybody elses group.

Don't you have more important, pertinent things to worry about?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
My group is all doods.  Only, like, two of us (and one guy that show up from time to time) aren't terrified of the taco.  The rest pretend they're not but they so, so are.  And we're all at least 34.  I think.  Am I 34?  Yeah, I'm 34.  Oh, and for the record I am not one that's afraid of the taco.

Srsly, though, it's just how it is.  We've all known each other a long, long time and we met gaming.  No need to add peeps to the group and there were never any chicas where we gamed.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

My girlfriend is running a D&D game for four of her friends at the university and they are all girls.  Most of them are in the Library Sciences Masters program so they are enjoying a library themed D&D campaign that sources stuff from various popular fiction titles and is somewhat heavy handed on the library tropes. 

The party works for a secret society dedicated it Ioun that is equal parts Library of Congress, Warehouse 13, and Illuminati.  They are tasked with searching out dangerous or rare magical texts and items for safe keeping within the library. 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

They are tasked with searching out dangerous or rare magical texts and items for safe keeping within the library. 

I saw that movie.
It had Nichols Cage in it, right?

They are tasked with searching out dangerous or rare magical texts and items for safe keeping within the library. 

I saw that movie.

I think you're thinking of National Treasure.  They are shooting for more of a The Librarian theme.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I saw that movie.

I think you're thinking of National Treasure.  They are shooting for more of a The Librarian theme.

Hawt.

I heard that a group of females from a Euro company took the idea for DnD from World of Warcraft. This alone is why I don't bring females into my groups.

I'm lost. What happened to all the sexy librarian talk?

I left the thread for a bit.

Anyway, yeah, I know where four sexy librarians play D&D together and loot treasure hoards guarded by cthulhian monstrosities in order to have the gold on hand to keep up with the latest fantasy fashions.

Anyway, yeah, I know where four sexy librarians play D&D together and loot treasure hoards guarded by cthulhian monstrosities in order to have the gold on hand to keep up with the latest fantasy fashions.

Please be in a library near me. Please be in a library near me!

*crosses fingers*

Walking home from school has been helping me lose weight. My beer gut is almost completely gone!

That's just cuz you stopped brewin' the stuff and your roomy keeps stealin' yer booze.

Yeah kinda. Well partly cuz like I'm eating a bit less cuz of budgeting. Some of it is cuz like im drinking less beer and cheaper beer. But like I'm also walking and stuff. But not sure if the walking is what's helping. I'm thinking that if you quit drinking that your beer gut naturally gets smaller cuz like you got no beer to keep it full.

Do your guys hips ever get sore from riding hipster_cats posts so much?

Someone's in a crabby mood. It's because twinkies are disappearing, isn't it?

You know I have been battling with weight my entire life. I used to have fast food thrown at me while walking home from school. I was very close to the edge at one point. These types of low blows hurt many more lives than you care to think about. 

Walking home from school has been helping me lose weight. My beer gut is almost completely gone!

You know what would really help you lose weight? If you stopped drinking all that beer you mke and shared it with the rest of us you damn jerk!!!

Then it sounds like we should have an OTTer get together.

And where would that be? Is there any documentaton of such a gathering? Like may be a pic or video?
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.

And where would that be? Is there any documentaton of such a gathering? Like may be a pic or video?

I'll have to ask if they ever thought about recording their sessions.  I'm sure it would be quite popular.

I'll have to ask if they ever thought about recording their sessions.  I'm sure it would be quite popular.

Hmmm... sounds like you're lying about this group.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.

No, they're quite real.  They are all grad students at the University of Illinois.  At least one of them even has a DDI account to help with their character sheets and such.  I'm not about to violate their privacy beyond that however to confirm their "realness" without their permission.  If you believe me, then great.  If not, then at least it was a fun story to help the OP see that it's not odd to have a bunch of girls get together to play D&D.

That sounds like a great idea. We need to drink heavily to handle all these disapearing posts.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

Vulgarity, even masked, is also a violation.

Please remember, that putting a smiley at the end of your sentence doesn't make otherwise inappropriate content okay.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
No, they're quite real.  They are all grad students at the University of Illinois.  At least one of them even has a DDI account to help with their character sheets and such.  I'm not about to violate their privacy beyond that however to confirm their "realness" without their permission.

Four hot female grad students playing D&D and no peoof. Yeah, seems legit.
  If you believe me, then great.  If not, then at least it was a fun story to help the OP see that it's not odd to have a bunch of girls get together to play D&D.

How does a lie help the OP? It just makes it seem as if you have to lie about girlie groups.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

No, they're quite real.  They are all grad students at the University of Illinois.  At least one of them even has a DDI account to help with their character sheets and such.  I'm not about to violate their privacy beyond that however to confirm their "realness" without their permission.  If you believe me, then great.  If not, then at least it was a fun story to help the OP see that it's not odd to have a bunch of girls get together to play D&D.

Illinois?!?!?! What kind of bull is that? Why couldn't they be in some Cali university say like near Sacramento? Total BS. They should totally pick a better location next time. Cali university libraries are way better than Illinois. 100% sure that my assumption is correct.

I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

Vulgarity, even masked, is also a violation.

Please remember, that putting a smiley at the end of your sentence doesn't make otherwise inappropriate content okay.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

You forgot to add that "masking" is itself a CoC violation.

That sounds like a great idea. We need to drink heavily to handle all these disapearing posts.

Yeah, really confused the hell out of me, Here I am reading thru everyones posts, then I start coming to quotes that I dont recall seeing before, I thought maybe I missed a page or something, but no just jerk ORCs I guess, And I notice ZB and HC are mia, I must of missed a hell of a party.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there

Yeah, really confused the hell out of me, Here I am reading thru everyones posts, then I start coming to quotes that I dont recall seeing before, I thought maybe I missed a page or something, but no just jerk ORCs I guess, And I notice ZB and HC are mia, I must of missed a hell of a party.

Yeah, well, I tried to view this thread just as it was being changed. I got one of them fun error pages. I was going to blame it on the forums being bunk...

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
I've never played D&D with a girl.  Oh, and one more thing: walrus. 
If ya can't laugh at a silly farm animal, what can ya do?
I've never played D&D with a girl.

I've played with girls, but not D&D.;)
Yeah, it's like playing D&D with them is sort of a waste of time or something.  ;)
Yeah, it's like playing D&D with them is sort of a waste of time or something.  ;)

I know, right?
Like one time we were playing with my buddies girlfriend...
They were in a fight and she says she wants to spray the Orc with her mace.
I was like, really?

Yeah, what a waste of mace.  That stuff can be kinky!

I know, right?
Like one time we were playing with my buddies girlfriend...
They were in a fight and she says she wants to spray the Orc with her mace.
I was like, really?

I always carry mace while adventuring. Its pretty good vs low level thugs. You should invest in some when leave town as a low level adventurer, brah.