Why do the draft queues have such terrible prize structures?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm talking about the 8-4 and 4-3-2-2 queues. It makes no sense for them to be single elimination. Pretty much every legitimate magic tournament you go to in real life uses swiss pairings. The only time you're supposed to use single elimination is when you have a cut to top 8. Using single elimination for an 8man draft is stupid, because if you get knocked out first round you're done and have no chance to go 2-1. Paying 14 tix to enter a draft just to play 1 round and lose is pretty awful. Then you have the actual "swiss" queues, which use the correct tournament structure (swiss) but have terrible prize structure. You don't even break even for going 3-0.

The question is, why should we have to choose bewteen having a terrible prize structure (swiss) and a terrible tournament structure (single elim)? Just look at the way ANY other tournament is run- constructed daily events, sealed deck queues, real life drafts, whatever- It's obvious that it's possible to have a normal tournament with swiss pairings and have decent prize structure, so why don't they do it for drafts?? As it stands, there are three options for draft queues, and they all suck.

Well the reason for 8-4 being single elim is because as soon as you lose you can't get any prizes so whats the point of playing?
And the reason for the swiss payout being only 3 packs for winning is because it is meant to be thought of as a pack per win.

As for 4-3-2-2 that is more or less designed to be the worst format. It pays out less prizes than the others and has the less fun/rewarding play sturcture. Yet somehow it is still the most popular so wotc sees no point in changing it.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

yeah Wotc could do a better prize structure but they would need to charge more... and they haven't shown any desire to innovate....

5-2-1 swiss for 15 tickets would be very cool in my book.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
I was actually thinking the other day that 6-4-2-2 single elim for boosters + 3 tix would be nice.  Has a flat payout and gives a decent prize for winning.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Running 8-4 or 4-3-2-2 as swiss would do things you probably don't want it to do.

At the end of round 3 you would have 1 player who was 3-0 and 3 who were 2-1 and then you'd use tiebreakers to dermine who gets 2nd place prizes.  Sometimes it would be the person who was undefeated until the last round, other times it would be someone else.  Quite honestly I believe that it's sufficiently complicated enough that players would complain about the 2nd place prizes being given out "at random".

And I know it's  not actually random, but so few people understand how it's determined that it would likely be percieved that way. 
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
I'm not saying they should have 8-4 or 4-3-2-2 as swiss. I'm saying they should have a swiss queue that has a decent prize structure, and pays out based on record. When you play in a draft in real life, if you go 3-0 get rewarded for doing well (you do better than breaking even), and you also get decent prize for 2-1. And it's also swiss (like any tournament), so if you lose round 1 or 2 you still have a shot at prize. This how almost all tournaments are run, but none of the online queues come close to this.

So, something like 5-3-3-3 would work fine with an entry fee of 15 tix.
I woull also like to see more swiss options. The 5-3-3-3 for 15 tix is doable in my opinion since it's 8 tix more (regarding all player input) and pays 2 boosters more as prizes. It's more "fair" from the single elimination payouts since your first round loss doesn't hurt you as much. I believe that alot of "good" players play swiss just beacuase they are "scared" of round 1 losses.
5-3-3-3 Swiss is even better than 5-2-2-2-1-1-1

Only thing that they may not like is that many will drop after going 0-2 as they can't get any prizes so people who want to play all 3 rounds won't get to relatively often.

But I think they need an option where first place gets more than 2 tix profits but still has more than just two people winning packs.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Swiss 5-2-2-2?  That way the winner actually wins and 2-1'es still get packs
Swiss 5-2-2-2?  That way the winner actually wins and 2-1'es still get packs

That'd be removing a pack from the swiss payout....

Watch out, that kind of talk will get you lynched round these parts.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
A 6-2-2-2 structure with the standard entry fee and a swiss structure would seem like to be the solution to what the OP desires.
Why not 5-3-2-2 with a Swiss structure and... no wait I see it now, no one would ever play 4-3-2-2 again.
In a swiss tournament you have 3 players with a 2-1 record. Why would one of them get an extra booster? That would be very annoying.
It would be whichever one won their first two matches but not their final match. In a single elimination format that person is considered to have gotten 2nd. But 6-2-2-2 Swiss would be interesting as well.
When you loose or win in a swiss tournament is irrelevant that's why it's better to have a flat payout as 6-2-2-2 for exaple. I believe that most players play swiss because of the same reason (no first round loses). In your suggested 5-3-2-2 you would always loose a pack by losing your first round regardless of the next matches which I don't find very appealing.
When you loose or win in a swiss tournament is irrelevant that's why it's better to have a flat payout as 6-2-2-2 for exaple. I believe that most players play swiss because of the same reason (no first round loses). In your suggested 5-3-2-2 you would always loose a pack by losing your first round regardless of the next matches which I don't find very appealing.

Well under the 6-2-2-2 it means you always lose a shot at getting 6 packs by losing the first match. There is no payout structure I know of where losing the first match is better than winning it. :-p

Well under the 6-2-2-2 it means you always loose a shot at getting 6 packs by losing the first match. There is no payout structure I know of where losing the first match is better than winning it. :-p

According to Magic's tiebreaker system, the person facing the eventual 3-0 wouldn't always get the 3 packs, it could be one of the other 2-1 players, based on OMW%