Teneb and Vorosh

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently got two of the legendary 6/6 dragons and wanted to build decks around them.
Teneb, the Harvester would be a fun reanimater type deck I think, I just have no idea what to put in a deck with him, I have never built that type of deck.
Also Vorosh, the Hunter I want to run with some of the new golgari stuff like Slitherhead and Corpsejack Menace. Any more suggestions? Any help would be appreciated
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I just started playing magic for exactly a year now and don't have very much cards and am not very experienced but really love dragons and have researched them alot so I'll try to help.

it might be kinda cool to have your idea of a golgari deck with vorosh and you might also prophit from having some unblockable stuff so this is what i'm thinking

slitherhead x4
corpsejack menace x4
artful dodge x4
natures blessing x4
I think artful dodge is a good idea! i was also thinking Ring of Evos Isle to make him hexproof, and maybe a few Time of Needs to pull him sooner. Thanks
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Teneb can fit in quite nicely with a basic dredge shell. It will let you cast him on the cheap, and fill your yard to harvest some goodies in the mean time. No clue what your card pool looks like, so I'll just make some suggestions for things you would want to use.

Dredging - Anything that moves cards from your deck to your yard. Primary way of "drawing" into Teneb and providing him with targets.
Grisly Salvage
Mulch
Buried Alive
Jarad's Orders
Entomb
Golgari Thug
Golgari Grave troll
Life from the Loam
Shambling Shell
Stinkweed Imp

Reanimation
Reanimate
Animate Dead
Exhume -> have to be careful to play this only when it's one sided or you get more value out of it.
Living Death
Unburial Rites

Targets - Fun thing about reanimator style decks is that you get to abuse a lot of utility. Cards like Entomb, Buried alive and Jarad's orders are essentially tutors for you. Good targets are anything that has a great ETB effect (even if it has a small body) or just huge, house creatures like Inkwell Leviathan.
Sun Titan
Blazing Archon
Griselbrand

The list goes on. You should have a handful of bombs, each that do something different or excel in certain matchups. this gives you a lot of flexibility when reanimating.

Cards with flashback are also great in this style deck, since you don't care that you put it in the yard. Lingering souls comes to mind right away. 
Thanks! My husband has a Golgari deck and has left overs I could poach. I have never tried to run too much that involves the graveyard (except my short-lived Izzet flash-back deck)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
It is a unique and interesting way to play the game. Not something that everyone likes, but great to give it a shot. It's counter-intuitive to dump things into your yard without using them.

I love Teneb, the Harvester. I used to have a deck that featured him and Magus of the Abyss. The problem with Teneb is that he finishes games so quickly that its hard to really make use of his ability. If I was going to build a deck with him now, I'd probably start with Heartless summoning. Then I'd add plenty of removal/discard, some big creatures and some tutors (Time of Need looks good). If I think of anything good, I'll let you know.

Actually, VRdragoon's idea is pretty solid, and if you already have access to the cards then you should definitely try it out.
If I gave Vosrosh, the Hunter double strike, and do direct damage, can I pay the cost twice and get 12 +1/+1, or does it not work that way?
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
That works. Double strike means they do combat in the first strike combat damage step, as well as the normal one. Any effect that triggers when combat damage is dealt (Markov Blademaster comes to mind) triggers for each instance of damage.
Here's some old articles on building decks for these two. Should give you some ideas. Even not, they're good reads on developing decks

Thanks, I actually went and looked at these. Some of the cards are too expensive money wise for me but it gives me some great ideas!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
If you are going Scavenge with Vorosh, might I suggest Cauldron of Souls? +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters annihilate each other when present on the same permanent. So those -1/-1s from the Cauldron granted Persist will come off in short order.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Hmmm interesting idea, I think with Vorosh I am going to try and make him hexproof and unblockable, and watch him get out of control
With Teneb, I will probably play black discard and mana ramp with the green. Still need an idea on the white splash
Thanks everyone for the great ideas!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!