Faerie Fire and other clarification

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been playing this game for a couple of weeks with a friend using the base Cormyr and Lolth sets, and we are really enjoying it.

Anyway I have looked but cannot find clarification on exactly what Faerie Fire does.  Maybe I am reading too much into it, its easy to do with ambiguity that some of the text has.

Does it simply add 10 to any attack that targets the affected creature, or does it count as a seperate activation that does 10 damage?

If the latter where does it go on the stack?

Does it do damage if the attack does not?

Also can you use two immediates on one card? i.e. i f I activate a card that does 20 damage, could my opponent respond with a card that blocks 10, than another that blocks the other 10 damage?

Thank You in Advance.

Anyway I have looked but cannot find clarification on exactly what Faerie Fire does.

Faerie Fire is a minor action, which means that on your turn you can use as many as you want.  It causes the enemy creature to take an extra ten damage every time he or she is attacked.  I believe that minor actions cannot be added to a stack, however a defending player may play an immediate action that eliminates Faerie Fire.  Faerie Fire does no damage in and of itself.

Also can you use two immediates on one card? i.e. i f I activate a card that does 20 damage, could my opponent respond with a card that blocks 10, than another that blocks the other 10 damage?

Your opponent can always use an immediate action order card, if his creature is untapped.  One order card from the Sting of Lolth faction set allows you to prevent twenty damage and then untap.  This card makes it possible for one creature to prevent damage from two or more different attacks during the same turn.  However, the vast majority of the time a creature is only going to be able to use one immediate action card during a turn because most immediate action cards leave a creature tapped. 

So does the Faerie Fire stay on the character or is it disgarded after one use.  If it does stay on the character does the effects go away if the caster dies?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

nerdworld.blog.com
So does the Faerie Fire stay on the character or is it disgarded after one use.  If it does stay on the character does the effects go away if the caster dies?

Faerie Fire stays until the target dies or something else gets rid of it.  The status of the caster isn't tracked.  It'll increase damage by 10 until you get it off or die.
It stays on until the target dies, or some other ability removes it.
But not if the caster dies first?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

nerdworld.blog.com
There are no rules that mention that cards once attached have a memory of who used them. They only remember who they are attached to.
Decided to post this here since we're talking Faerie Fire:

The exact card wording (once attached) is this:

Attacks that target this creature deal +10 damage to it.

my question(s): Does the ability of the Skeletal Tomb Guardian (Whenever this creatures makes a melee attack, it deals 20 damage to each other enemy creature adjacent to this creature) count as targeting a creature with faerie fire attached to it?? In other words, if my Skeletal Tomb Guardian is next to two creatures, one of which has faerie fire attached, and attacks the one without faerie fire, does the one with faerie fire get damaged for 20 or 30?

Pretty much the same question goes for Fireball. Fireball deals damage to each creature within 2 squares of the target square, does a creature with faerie fire on it count as being targeted by the fireball and so receive 40 damage or doesn't it?
Certainly the Skeletal Tomb Guardian bestows an extra ten points of damage every time he attacks a creature with Faerie Fire (even if the attack isn't a conventional melee attack).  However, I am inclined to thing that when the Half-Orc Thug attacks someone adjacent to a creature with Faerie Fire that the extra ten damage is inapplicable.  Fireball only adds ten extra damage if the creature with faerie fire is in the target square. 
Certainly the Skeletal Tomb Guardian bestows an extra ten points of damage every time he attacks a creature with Faerie Fire (even if the attack isn't a conventional melee attack).  

Why?

However, I am inclined to thing that when the Half-Orc Thug attacks someone adjacent to a creature with Faerie Fire that the extra ten damage is inapplicable.

Why would this be different? Both cases the creature with faerie fire attached is the target of an effect, but does that count as the target of an attack (as is the wording on Faerie Fire).

Fireball only adds ten extra damage if the creature with faerie fire is in the target square. 

Again, why? Fireball says to choose a square, it in no way mentions targeting a creature, so even if the Faerie Fire creature is in the target square, going strictly by the rules it is not being targeted by an attack (the square is, not the creature).

All of these depend on wether you would consider being the target of an effect (which in all cases is true) counts for the same thing as being the target of an attack. Thoughts anyone?

The guardian will add the damage if it attacks the creature with faerie fire, but not if the primary target is another creature as it is not targeting the ff creature.

The half-orc thug (and copper dragon) deal indirect damage to those around the primary target, so if the ff creature was not the primary target it would not suffer the extra damage.

And I agree that fireball targets the square not the creature so would not trigger ff either. However the dracolich's triple attack does target each creature so would trigger ff.
The guardian will add the damage if it attacks the creature with faerie fire, but not if the primary target is another creature as it is not targeting the ff creature.

The half-orc thug (and copper dragon) deal indirect damage to those around the primary target, so if the ff creature was not the primary target it would not suffer the extra damage.

And I agree that fireball targets the square not the creature so would not trigger ff either. However the dracolich's triple attack does target each creature so would trigger ff.

All of this is what I was thinking as well, but I would still like to see some confirmation. Or maybe some more clarity on what exactly constitutes being the target of an attack.
The extra damage dealt by Skeletal Tomb Guardian is not an attack, and is therefore not boosted by Faerie Fire. An attack is one of those abilities with a Sword or Bow symbol next to them, or another ability that defines itself explicitly as an attack, like Horned Devil's or Umber Hulk's.

If it was an attack, Skeletal Tomb Guardian would read "Whenever you do a melee attack, you do (Sword)20 to another adjacent creature" or something similar.
To be the target of an attack, first the attacking creature has to use an ability that requires a target and second it has to use an ability that specifies "make an attack. (Basic attacks count.)

Fireball meets neither condition as it says "choose a square" and "deal 30 damage...". however burst attacks like the guardian's, the copper dragon's and the half-orc thug's target one creature with an  attack and deal damage to creatures that meet the indicated conditions without targetting them.
Faerie Fire states "Attacks that target this creature deal +10 damage".

Cards that deal with attacks typically say the word attack.

Sacrifice says "....make a melee attack that deals +30 (melee)".  This specfically calls it an attack.

Skeletal Tomb Guardian's ability says "Whenever this creature makes a melee attack, it deals 20 damage to each other enemy creature adjacent to this creature".  The damage for this is dealt, it's not an attack; therefore, Faerie Fire will not boost it.

That's my understanding of it.

Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com