New player needing some clarification

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm fairly new to MTG, just started playing about 2 months ago. I understand how its basically played but wanted to clarify 2 things.

First. Shrine of the Burning Rage. The card says at the beginning of upkeep OR when you play a red spell. Does this mean I can only choose to do one or the other per turn? Or can I gain multiple counters on the card per red spell played + upkeep. As in, if I put one counter on during my upkeep does that mean, because the card clearly says OR, that I can then NOT put counters on it if I play red spells in the same turn? None of my friends could clarify that one lol.

Second. I recently played multiplayer and had 2 friends bickering over a ruling and now I'm confused. One friend played an infect deck. He attacked with a 6/6 infect creature. The other friend blocked the creature with a 7/7. The blocking creature was destroyed with an instant. Does the infect now go through to the player? The friend playing infect said yes, because blockers were declared and removed, so the damage (which would have been poison counters) would have gone through. The defending friend said no, because the damage was blocked and then the creature gets destroyed. Can anyone clarify which one is correct for my own sanity?

Thank you for any help!
Shrine of Burning Rage triggers at your upkeep, or when you cast a red spell
but it triggers every time that condition is met, you don't have to (and can't) choose

if the 6/6 doesn't have trample no damage will go through, because it is still blocked
removing blocking creatures does not unblock the attacker
proud member of the 2011 community team
Okay thank you.

But then in the case of Devine Verdict, for example, if you do not declare blockers, but use DV on the attacking creature. Does the damage still go through then? Or does the instant resolve before the damage is dealt as the attackers are announced? 
if you use Divine Verdict in the declare blockers step at the latest the damage from that creature will not go through

if you wait any longer and cast it in the combat damage or end of combat step the damage will already have gone through, and DV doesn't change that
Got it. Thank you kindly for responding so quickly and clarifying all of that for me! 
Got it. Thank you kindly for responding so quickly and clarifying all of that for me! 

If you don't have it, try to grab a paper copy of the Basic Rulebook. Often stores have copies lying around. It goes through the steps of a turn on explains most of the key mechanics, with illustrations and examples. A PDF version is available here:

media.wizards.com/images/magic/resources...
Tried clicking the link but it doesn't work. Thank you for the suggestion though, think I'll look for one anyway so that I have it for my own references. 

I guess there are some rules people may interpret differently and then as I'm playing with different people, it starts getting confusing because as a new player, I'm trying to remember all the rules of play, but then get conflicting arguments from other friends. I've started keeping The Gatherer on standby just for card clarifications lol.

Everyone could probably stand to re-familiarize themselves with the rules from time to time. 
www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x...
and click on the basic rulebook
Tried clicking the link but it doesn't work. Thank you for the suggestion though, think I'll look for one anyway so that I have it for my own references.

Link should work now. There was an extra space it didn't seem to like.